Drive Over IP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleem145

Hello,

I thought of this idea and then did a google search to discover others have thought of it too....

The idea is that you should be able to drive the car using a computer application over the internet. Much like a drone.

I would take the car to the train station and park it there in the morning. While I am on the train, I would turn my laptop on and virtually drive the car back and drop it off at home so my wife could use during the day.

At the end of the day when I am commuting back from work I would log in to my computer and drive the car back from my home to the train station. And then drive home in the car....

Saleem

saleem145 said:
I would take the car to the train station and park it there in the morning. While I am on the train, I would turn my laptop on and virtually drive the car back and drop it off at home so my wife could use during the day.
Why stop there? There was this show called Knight Rider where the car actually drives itself, no Internet connection required. Heck there probably wasn't even Internet back then and that car still got around just fine. Maybe something like that car would suit you.

Autonomous vehicles are definitely coming. Google has been testing this for a while and I believe they have over 300,000 test miles and they have been lobbying states to get it legalized.
Google's driverless cars

These types of vehicles are now legal in NV and CA:

Nevada
California

And I agree that I would love to make my commute this way, espcially if it was combined with Volvo's road train tech: Spanish Road Train

No word on the Knight Rider mods yet :D

jhm614 said:
...These types of vehicles are now legal in NV and CA:

Nevada
California
I was being a bit facetious but you're right about cars that drive themselves, of course. I clicked the California link to check on something though and the article does say someone needs to be in the driver's seat as a failsafe; so the original poster's idea of sending the car home for his wife to use wouldn't quite work.

Here is a low-tech free solution. She drops you off at the station and picks you up after 9 hours. And have the car all day in between.

Back