Park button (safety concern)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goixiz said:
The park button is too easy to access and for some models the button is right there when switching from drive to brake mode and potential of accidentally pressing the Park button is high if it results to an emergency brake.

I suggest they do a simple software or hardware modification to reduce the ease of getting to the P button.
1. Maybe they can include a requirement to hold the button for a brief moment (2seconds) before P is activated.
2. Maybe have a confirmation sequence. Like pressing it 2 times
3. Maybe P cannot be activated if the wheel is more than x mph

P.s. Maybe it's already in place but I don't want to find out if it's not.
I don't recommend #1. There have been complaints about Toyota's w/push button start/stop (Smart Key System in Toyota parlance) requiring one push and hold power for several seconds to do an emergency shutdown. It relates to the Saylor Lexus "sudden unintended acceleration"/"stuck throttle" issue that apparently was caused by the wrong floor mat in a loaner he had that entrapped the accelerator pedal and his regular (non-loaner) car not having SKS, but rather a traditional metal key.

I really don't recommend #2.

Seems like requiring either 1 or 2 is an accident waiting to happen. I can't think of any car w/a park button that requires you press Park twice or press and hold. Heck, I've a few times hit it too quickly (or incompletely?) where park didn't engage. I've seen another post here about that.

I also don't agree that the park button is too easy to accidentally press. It's MUCH worse on the Gen 3 Prius.

See these:
http://www.toyota.com/prius/photo-gallery.html#!photos/0/undefined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.toyota.com/prius/photo-gallery.html#!photos/1/undefined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.toyota.com/prius/photo-gallery.html#!photos/2/undefined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's right below the HVAC buttons and up and to the left of the blue shifter knob.

On a Leaf, I don't see why/how someone would accidentally press park when switching between D and B. I drive around in B on my Leaf pretty much all the time.
bbrowncods said:
I have inadvertantly hit P just as I was coming to a stop, but still a slight movement forward. The P engage with a CLANK which did not sound good and I really did not like. I now am sure I have stopped before pushing P.
Ditto. I accidentally did this while still moving slightly in reverse while backing out of my garage. :shock: Was not a good sound. I am extra careful now.

johnrhansen said:
I was right. Pushing park at speed just makes the car go ding. It stays in drive, nothing else happens. Ditto with the power button pressed momentarily.

Thank you

cwerdna said:
goixiz said:
On a Leaf, I don't see why/how someone would accidentally press park when switching between D and B. I drive around in B on my Leaf pretty much all the time.
bbrowncods said:
I have inadvertantly hit P just as I was coming to a stop, but still a slight movement forward. The P engage with a CLANK which did not sound good and I really did not like. I now am sure I have stopped before pushing P.
Ditto. I accidentally did this while still moving slightly in reverse while backing out of my garage. :shock: Was not a good sound. I am extra careful now.

Accidentally isnt it similar to inadvertently

My suggestions or options to make the p less easy to activate was and is a suggestion. What do you recommend?

But since Johnr.. Tested and contributed to this post that it won't activate past a threshold that's the option #3 I posted initially then I'm glad and thank Johnr... For his contribution.

goixiz said:
Accidentally isnt it similar to inadvertently
The similar part was the unpleasant mechanical sound. My pressing of Park was intended, so that I could park on my driveway and the reverse beeping would stop. I hadn't intended to shift to D or B at that time. The issue was that I accidentally wasn't at a complete stop.

Back