LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Re: BC2BC Return Trip

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:37 am

(OLD content: Since GaslessInSeattle just made a post about a future trip report I may as well do the same. He can edit/use above, I'll "reserve" and use this one (keeping them closer together). I will edit OP later to link here so the pertinent info can be more easily found in the future as the thread gets longer.)

My Trip Report: BC2BC Return: Portland, OR to Sacramento, CA to Home (630 miles) June 24 - 26, 2012

NOTE: For real data-hounds I uploaded the XLS to GoogleDocs HERE.
Note 2: Not included are about 65 miles June 27 visiting SMUD, and 50 miles June 28 to hand LEAF to driver #3 in Davis.

I have duplicated GaslessInSeattle's data, since he was the first driver and handed me the data-logging sheets.

The return journey started on Sunday 6/24/2012 in Shoreline, GaslessInSeattle driving Tony's LEAF, and carrying one passenger. JohnnySeebring had departed in his LEAF for Portland the day before, and overnighted there to get "GasLess" and passenger back home. They arrived in Portland at Electric Avenue early, meeting Johnny, then drove both LEAFs to meet me at Amtrak PDX Union Station. I had arrived 35 minutes early. We chatted some, tried (unsuccessfully) to find Tony's AV-FOB and other EVSE station RFID cards. I ended up borrowing GaslessInSeattle's AV-FOB, and took off for Electric Avenue a little early. I made Electric Avenue my 16:00 departure point after parking there for a few minutes for photos.
After leaving Electric Avenue, Tony called back with his "hiding spot" for all the cards/AV-FOB. Since QCs every 25miles are so FAST(!), I decided to stop in Salem for 1hour L2, not only for a boost, but for enough time for a "real" dinner. Note: Each QC I used I stopped manually with the Stop Button on the AV station, to meet my desired target SOC.
Overnighted at Oakland (Rice Hill) Motel 6, where DC QC is located. Tried to do a timer charge (7am end time) to 80%, since next day would be frequent QCs. I authorized with the AV-FOB around 22:30. The timed charge FAILED ! I suspect the authorization may have expired at midnite or after the car was not drawing power for some time. Caught the error in time to do a QC in the morning (Monday 6/25) prior to 7am departure from 14 (GOM) to 44 (GOM).
Back in the little quaint town of Wolf Creek I located the PostOffice and mailed back GasLess's AV FOB. The two postal workers there had heard of the Mexico-to-Canada trip (northbound) on the news; they couldn't believe I was QC'ing nearby ! At the next stop, Grants Pass, I arrived with a relatively high SOC (52%) so I skipped the QC and L2'ed instead to minimize battery heating, while staying on the originally planned stops & schedule. In Ashland (below) I finally saw the effect of battery heating. Naturally, I could have skipped every 2nd QC, but my belief is it would have heated the battery more due to the larger total depth-of-charge/discharge.
As you can see above, despite the elevations to cover, I arrived an hour earlier than even my optimistic plan. Due to the fact that I was now entering the Slow-L2-Land of California (!) I relied heavily on drafting trucks (please see cautions in other posts). I did not need to do that in the Fast-QC-Land of Oregon. I had simply driven Tony's LEAF like any other car right near the speed limit (except the last 10 miles before Halsey, and except between Wolf Creek & Grants Pass).
I had originally (reluctantly) planned to use the backroads, despite my misgivings about the LEAF showing as a "weak EV" effect. But the experience of drafting prior to Shasta Lake, as well as prior experience in other EVs, convinced me the LEAF is a good drafting candidate. As you can see above, the flat stretch from Orland to Woodland (84 miles) was most interesting. The light tail wind did not amount to much, but at least it wasn't a cross-wind, which tends to play havoc with slipstreaming, and I was using A/C. Although I recorded 56mph, I know the (conservative) speedometer read 57 most of the time. The key data point, however, is the EE = 5.2. Per Tony's charts this is the equivalent of going 45mpg without any "help". The LeafCAN helped a lot with its real-time display of amps from the battery to optimize the distance from the truck (semi-safe, and energy conservation).

Elevation Charts: These are shown as I originally compiled them during trip planning. I did not actually stop at Woodburn, and in Salem I decided to go to the Nissan Dealer instead. Mount Shasta KOA was changed to Dunsmuir RailRoad RV Park. The first one is an overview of Portland to Ashland with subsequently more detail.

The charts show some of the "challenges". But, as we now know, in QC-land these "challenges" are easy-peasy. Not so south of Ashland, OR !

Last edited by LEAFer on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

LEAFer

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 am

edatoakrun wrote:You really think you "beat" driving ~45 mph, on either Rawson road or A8 (my route north) and old 99 from Red Bluff south, in total travel/charge time?
I just took another look at Tony's Range Chart (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) ... and so ... yes, I think I did beat it. Because (looking at the chart), at the speeds I was going while drafting from Orland to Woodland (57mph), I basically achieved an EE of 5.2 which on his chart is 45mph equivalent back-roads travel.

On the Shasta Lake to Orland section (EE = 4.8): it's not flat, so the same analogy with the range chart data is harder.

Keep in mind too though, I was driving smooth/continuous. Driving the backroads (old 99 you mentioned, etc) would incur quite a few stop signs (at every I-5 exit, +others), right ? ( I haven't done it, you have. ) Depending on the efficiency of the regen, this may degrade my gains from the lower speed.

(Again) I am not advocating LEAF owners draft trucks on a regular basis. Find yourself a better alternative to conserving energy. If you find yourself at the edge of your range capability on a regular basis, then either the LEAF is not right tool for the job, or you are doing something wrong in terms of energy efficiency (speeding ? etc., ?).

And note: I am *not* critical of Ed's backroads approach ... just want to add more info. The backroads approach is valid, and I have done it before for my own purposes to extend my range in order to reach my destination. But this trip in this particular (highly-visible) LEAF is different. As I learned after picking it up in Portland ... it gets a *lot* of looks. It is not your ordinary LEAF, due to all the graphics pasted all over it.

My desire was to show the LEAF on I-5 as an (almost) regular car (within its range limits - finding the next EVSE) while doing a road trip. Of course people along the way asked me how often I have to stop and for how long and whether I felt inconvenienced by this. I answered truthfully that it's not ideal for roadtrips in California, but if their roadtripping is infrequent enough, then the LEAF could still work for them 90-95% of the time. In the next breath I mentioned the awesome convenience of QC ... which makes the LEAF *ABSOLUTELY* convenient for short or medium length roadtrips (200-250 miles). Which led to the contrast of CA vs. OR/WA ... etc etc ... I think you know where I was taking that discussion next ;)

Most people simply were impressed that I was taking an electric car from Portland, Oregon to Sacramento, California :shock: And that happened before I even got to Portland (like, prior to my departure around here at home and at the train station, and on the train Saturday night/Sunday).
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 am

Completed toughest part of the trip. Getting to Metrolink on time :)
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE

LEAFer

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 am

KeiJidosha wrote:Completed toughest part of the trip. Getting to Metrolink on time :)
:lol: See you soon !

TonyWilliams

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Welcome to the San Francisco Bay !!!! See ya Sunday at the track.

peter
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 6487

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:34 pm

FWIW - I stopped by Belmont QC about an hour ago and was amazed to see somebody charging up on the left side. I was hoping I might run into the BC2BC car.

Anyway, Belmont was up as of an hour ago.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 pm

KeiJidosha wrote:Completed toughest part of the trip. Getting to Metrolink on time :)
Hey KeiJidosha,

Got invited to a SF BayLeaf's meet on Saturday morning at 9 am the Santa Clara Valley Water District. Do you know if you'll be there on time and how long will do you plan to charge?

I live not that far from there but I'm not a morning person... :/ Just wanted to know for my planning.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 pm

peter wrote:FWIW - I stopped by Belmont QC about an hour ago and was amazed to see somebody charging up on the left side. I was hoping I might run into the BC2BC car.

Anyway, Belmont was up as of an hour ago.
Good to know. I may stop by on my way to REFUEL on Saturday.
Thanks to all at GSEAA meeting today. Headwinds made recomendation to charge at Vacaville a wise investment. Arrived in the city with 8% SOC.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Charging at City Hall in Salinas. Tesla inbound to REFUEL on Rabobank charger till ~5pm.

LEAFer

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 am

Bump: I finished my trip report, see above at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”