Living With Leaf : My One Year Stats

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

As most of you know I collect stats after every Leaf trip. Now that I've driven for a year (as of end of Feb), time to look at some stats. Let me know if you want me to chart any other stats.

First, the range vs temperature chart. The correlation is beyond questionable. Estimated Range is calculated as m/kWh * 21.

monthlystats-temp.png

Here is the raw data behind the chart.

monthlystats.png

Finally, the range histogram. This shows the % of trips with a particular range. A range of 100, for eg., gives the number of trips where the estimated range would be between 95 and 105 miles.

range-trips.png

Update : Trip distances.

miles-trips.png

I plotted the data and did a least squares analysis on the very linear portion between 50 and 70 degrees. Results:

10 degrees increase leads to 2.5 kWh/100 miles decrease between 50 and 70

or, to state the change in miles/kWh:

10 degrees increase leads to 0.57 miles/kWh increase between 50 and 70

I am not seeing nearly as much variability, although temperatures are a bit higher here. Summer was 5.8-5.9 miles per kWh, winter is running about 5.6 miles per kWh. This is for West Los Angeles, commute to San Fernando Valley (warmer still). Of course, I haven't kept a detailed log like you have.

EVNOW,

Do you use the climate control so that the range variation with temperature can be partly due to that, or is this strictly a battery temperature effect?

great charts!! the temp/range chart is very illustrative and surprisingly, not at climate control dependent as you might think

sure heat really sucks it up, but i use it sparingly but certain times of the year, defrost is necessary to see where i am going

but i am seeing 70-75 mile range in winter for steady freeway driving at 55-60 mph and 90+ in Summer. i do average 90+ in Summer with A/C a minimal effect on range

i do do AC much more often than heat. i rather wear a coat then lose an additional 15 miles in range

thimel said:
EVNOW,

Do you use the climate control so that the range variation with temperature can be partly due to that, or is this strictly a battery temperature effect?

This includes use of climate control.

I'll try to make a plot of it - but in generall :
- Above 4.5 m/kWh in warmer climate
- Above 4.0 m/kWh in colder climate, no heater use
- Below 4.0 m/kWh in colder climate, with heater use

has anyone determined whether CARWINGS report of accessory usage was accurate??

i dont really follow the Carwing stats anymore but i do they did report KW usage

this could allow you to go back and see how that correlates to your observed figures

DaveinOlyWA said:
has anyone determined whether CARWINGS report of accessory usage was accurate??

i dont really follow the Carwing stats anymore but i do they did report KW usage

this could allow you to go back and see how that correlates to your observed figures
Interesting idea. I'll take a look.

Thanks for posting this data - it corroborates with my thoughts on range and temps. I always wondered how on EARTH people were getting 5+ miles/kwh. As the temps increased in VA, my efficiency shot up almost 1 mile/kwh...I think it will go even higher come summer, though this is completely dependent on how efficient the AC is.

Boomer23 said:
evnow said:
Boomer23 said:
How are you calculating range?

m/kWh * 21.

Actually m/kWh* 21.5?

Actually, kWh is variable, depending on battery temperature, and m/kWh subject to error (which m/kWh readout are you using, and why?) and some inaccuracy, due to rounding error.

If you have collected CW data, over any period of time since updated, with accurate m/kWh (check and correct CW for any "miles driven" error, mine is still about 2.5% less than odometer) that might well prove to be more useful, IMO.

(from 3/7)...Posted below, are my Carwings m/kWh figures since delivery (*May-July are incorrect, CW pre-update).

I don't expect that 4.7 kWh average for March to last. Just a couple of warm days driving for this month, so far. (3/19 update it didn't, cold weather returned and back to 4.4m/Kwh for March, so far)

I do think I'm recovering a good chunk of my observed 10-12 percent winter range loss back (about half of that in battery capacity, and half in vehicle efficiency, as near as I could tell) now that temps are moving up.

Month and Year Grade Rank Energy Economy
May/2011 Gold 492 5.4 miles/kWh*
Jun/2011 Gold 695 5.7 miles/kWh *
Jul/2011 Gold 1651 5.3 miles/kWh*
Aug/2011 Bronze 3622 4.2 miles/kWh
Sep/2011 Silver 3457 4.5 miles/kWh
Oct/2011 Silver 3640 4.2 miles/kWh
Nov/2011 Gold 2792 4.2 miles/kWh
Dec/2011 Gold 2827 4.0 miles/kWh
Jan/2012 Gold 2547 4.2 miles/kWh
Feb/2012 Gold 2354 4.4 miles/kWh
Mar/2012 Gold 1752 4.7 (4.4) miles/kWh

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"evnow"As most of you know I collect stats after every Leaf trip. Now that I've driven for a year (as of end of Feb), time to look at some stats. Let me know if you want me to chart any other stats...

Do you think your battery temp correlates closely to your daily average temp, on most days?

I park outside, and my daily temp often varies over 30F, or even 40F over the same day, Summer and Winter. I also drive at different hours, so battery temp and range effect is not much more than guesswork (except on days I can see the 4 to 5, or 5 to 6 bar, change) for me.

thimel said:
EVNOW,

I would expect the effective battery capacity to fluctuate with pack temp, but EVNOW is just assuming 21 kWh for this. The data reported here is the car's efficiency to drive. I would guess that what is changing is air density (air resistance), tire stiffness (rolling resistance), then heater use. I'm surprised at the dramatic difference that ICE use has always masked...

Electric4Me said:
I would expect the effective battery capacity to fluctuate with pack temp, but EVNOW is just assuming 21 kWh for this. The data reported here is the car's efficiency to drive. I would guess that what is changing is air density (air resistance), tire stiffness (rolling resistance), then heater use. I'm surprised at the dramatic difference that ICE use has always masked...
In addition to the factors you list, rain will reduce range. I believe that evnow lives in an area with more rain in winter than summer.

Thanks EVnow for the data, there seems to be hope for better fuel efficiency in the summer ;-). It seems that you don't use winter tires during the cold months, am I right? I just wonder how strongly the high friction of winter tires is affecting fuel efficiency in addition to reduced battery efficiency. In my ice it seems to be around 10 %.

dgpcolorado said:
In addition to the factors you list, rain will reduce range. I believe that evnow lives in an area with more rain in winter than summer.
While it rains more in winter here than summer, I've not noticed any difference between rainy & cloudy/sunny days. Ofcourse rainy days are normally colder than non-rainy days, so it is difficult to pin point the difference attributable to rain.

edatoakrun said:
If you have collected CW data, over any period of time since updated, with accurate m/kWh (check and correct CW for any "miles driven" error, mine is still about 2.5% less than odometer) that might well prove to be more useful, IMO.
I don't see any difference in CW data vs dash data.

Back