It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:23 pm 

Leaf Number: 00000
edatoakrun wrote:
So, I certainly hope, by the time you get a less inaccurate GOM, you won't need it, anymore.

I'm not sure if too many chargepoints will come before an industry accurate GoM.

There are places in the USA that never got cable Tv, for instance (I lived in one).

EVRAV4, was PLGS IN (#2244), & PLGIN2 (#20782)

Range Chart
All EV Rally, BC2BC, Mexico 2 Canada, Aug 10, 2014
100 Mile Club + Longest Drive
Next San Diego EVent
Battery Degradation Summary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 am 

edatoakrun wrote:
A GOM will never be accurate, until it is designed to estimate future driving. The LEAFs, will never do that. IMO, you are wasting your time moaning and bitching,

I disagree. I've been driving another EV for about a week now, and I can categorically confirm that Leaf's GOM is absolutely terrible. I've done some fairly extensive range testing for the reverse SOC meter project, and I will do a plot showing just how inaccurate the GOM is even in ideal conditions one of these days. In the upper SOC range, its erratic behavior borders on a practical joke, and in the lower SOC range, the GOM keeps nagging and scaring drivers and passengers alike.

That being said, I wouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The GOM can be improved, there is no question about it. The car should also include an accurate SOC meter for those that would like to use it, and don't mind doing some mental math. Yes, once all EVs have 100 kWh packs, this problem will diminish in significance. However, we are not there yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 pm 

Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
TonyWilliams wrote:
DarkStar wrote:
They really need to just change it to a % of SOC meter and be done with it... I reset my odometer after every full charge and can do math. :D

To appeal to a mass market, beyond early adopters, many of which hold technical education and jobs, will not be with anything that requires math!!!!
Heck, aren't we some double digit ranking in the world now for math and other sciences, and quickly spiraling down?
My wife, for example, will not do math. Neither will my mother. And limited range vehicles need something beyond a simple gas gauge for mass adoption.
This is a great post. I think Nissan can do it just as GM did it very well for the Volt. I want the Leaf to be successful and I think this will help them get beyond early adopters. The normal masses would want to fairly accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:13 pm 
Forum Supporter

Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5422
Probably just a coincidence, but for the first time, after the last bar disappeared, I only had about 5 miles to Turtle at 60mph. When I left downtown Los Angeles, it quickly told me I had 31 miles range to do the 30 mile trip. Limped into the garage on Turtle Mode at the 30 mile point. First time the range has been that accurate and that the reserve after the last bar disappeared seems to have been reduced since the upgrade unless a coincidence.

Orange, CA