wescom
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, I thought that the upgrade would improve this "Miles to Go" estimator. But no.

Driving at 35 mph, flat road, no AC or heat, Eco mode, (pretty much best case) I see the "Miles to Go" estimator drop by ~ 2.5 - 3 miles for each odometer mile driven!!

This is in California, 50 F - 65 F. I charge to 80% capacity as recommended by Nissan.

I really don't see why this meter would be so bad! It really should not be so far off. The knowledge of the battery discharge curve is well known, the new software update has been in place for four weeks.

Any ideas? Thanks!

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Vendor
Posts: 9478
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Leaf Number: 00000
Location: 100 Mile Club San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:56 pm

wescom wrote:Well, I thought that the upgrade would improve this "Miles to Go" estimator. But no.

Driving at 35 mph, flat road, no AC or heat, Eco mode, (pretty much best case) I see the "Miles to Go" estimator drop by ~ 2.5 - 3 miles for each odometer mile driven!!

This is in California, 50 F - 65 F. I charge to 80% capacity as recommended by Nissan.

I really don't see why this meter would be so bad! It really should not be so far off. The knowledge of the battery discharge curve is well known, the new software update has been in place for four weeks.

Any ideas? Thanks!


I had exactly the same thing for the singular time I used the GoM after the update a few weeks ago. Similar conditions to you, absolutely the easiest conditions to make an estimate, and instead, it stuck on 26 miles to go for 6 miles, and then dropped like a rock.

I covered up the GoM again.
JAMP JR tm, the low cost 40 amp J1772 charge station
JESLAtm, the premium 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution
JLongtm the J1772 extension cord
JdeMOtm, the CHAdeMO outlet for your electric car
JDaptortm, the J1772 power outlet

www.QuickChargePower.com

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 9987
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 pm

After a few weeks of driving it over a route I know well and had good numbers for before the latest upgrade, it now appears obvious that the change is that they have shorted the integration period for the GOM. Thus, the GOM numbers now go up and down faster and over a shorter period than they did before.
SL-e with 59,983 miles/8 bars/187 Gids/43.47 AHr/66% SOH/45.19% Hx 13Mar15.

59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 with new Lizard battery.
62,141 miles/12 bars/276 Gids/66.14 AHr/100% SOH/102.58% Hx 11Jul15.

edatoakrun
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 am

A GOM will never be accurate, until it is designed to estimate future driving.

The LEAFs, will never do that.

IMO, you are wasting your time moaning and bitching,

Use the GOM, for the limited information it provides.

Personally, I am dreading the GOM update, and every future one, since it will never provide any real improvement, only make obsolete the (useful history of driver's observations of) GOM performance, under the previous settings.
no condition is permanent

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 10283
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2013
Leaf Number: 423014
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 am

do you realize that no amount of updating will allow it to PREDICT THE FUTURE??

after getting the SOC meter, i really dont look at it so cant say that its better or worse. i do glance at the battery bars occasionally
44,598 miles on 2011 LEAF (retired) 2013 LEAF;26,033 miles. Ah; 61.14, Hx; 93.45% kwh 20.5 @70% estimate; 121,135 miles
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkStar
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 am

They really need to just change it to a % of SOC meter and be done with it... I reset my odometer after every full charge and can do math. :D
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11000
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:29 am

Oh yes - it can predict the future. But for that - one needs to put in the destination and using the geography, traffic conditions Leaf can calculate the range. I guess this will come a few years hence, though. But only because it can't be easily done by a 3rd party now.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to ?

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Vendor
Posts: 9478
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Leaf Number: 00000
Location: 100 Mile Club San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:56 am

edatoakrun wrote:A GOM will never be accurate, until it is designed to estimate future driving.

The LEAFs, will never do that.

IMO, you are wasting your time moaning and bitching,

Use the GOM, for the limited information it provides.

Personally, I am dreading the GOM update, and every future one, since it will never provide any real improvement, only make obsolete the (useful history of driver's observations of) GOM performance, under the previous settings.



I tend to agree that the GoM will never be accurate, but that doesn't preclude making it MORE accurate than it is. Right now, it's just crazy, even when the existing conditions remain into the future. Thats not predicting the future; just using already established data, that isn't being used too well.

The next generation of GoM (and maybe not from Nissan) will, no doubt to me, include traffic and topography, temp, road conditions, etc, to develop a really plausible range prediction, based on where you tell it you want to go.

There's no technical reason it can't be so.
JAMP JR tm, the low cost 40 amp J1772 charge station
JESLAtm, the premium 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution
JLongtm the J1772 extension cord
JdeMOtm, the CHAdeMO outlet for your electric car
JDaptortm, the J1772 power outlet

www.QuickChargePower.com

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Vendor
Posts: 9478
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Leaf Number: 00000
Location: 100 Mile Club San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:02 am

DarkStar wrote:They really need to just change it to a % of SOC meter and be done with it... I reset my odometer after every full charge and can do math. :D


To appeal to a mass market, beyond early adopters, many of which hold technical education and jobs, will not be with anything that requires math!!!!

Heck, aren't we some double digit ranking in the world now for math and other sciences, and quickly spiraling down?

My wife, for example, will not do math. Neither will my mother. And limited range vehicles need something beyond a simple gas gauge for mass adoption.
JAMP JR tm, the low cost 40 amp J1772 charge station
JESLAtm, the premium 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution
JLongtm the J1772 extension cord
JdeMOtm, the CHAdeMO outlet for your electric car
JDaptortm, the J1772 power outlet

www.QuickChargePower.com

edatoakrun
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Miles to Go Estimator seems worse after upgrade

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:A GOM will never be accurate, until it is designed to estimate future driving.

The LEAFs, will never do that.

IMO, you are wasting your time moaning and bitching,

Use the GOM, for the limited information it provides.

Personally, I am dreading the GOM update, and every future one, since it will never provide any real improvement, only make obsolete the (useful history of driver's observations of) GOM performance, under the previous settings.



I tend to agree that the GoM will never be accurate, but that doesn't preclude making it MORE accurate than it is. Right now, it's just crazy, even when the existing conditions remain into the future. Thats not predicting the future; just using already established data, that isn't being used too well.

The next generation of GoM (and maybe not from Nissan) will, no doubt to me, include traffic and topography, temp, road conditions, etc, to develop a really plausible range prediction, based on where you tell it you want to go.

There's no technical reason it can't be so.


If you are willing to input your precise destinations and route, no.

But there is also, not really any reason it should be necessary, to have what will always only be, a more "plausible" range estimate.

It is only the present, very limited public charge infrastructure, causing the present range prediction fixation, of BEV drivers. And having a more precise range prediction, is of no use, if there are no charge points within the variable range.

So, I certainly hope, by the time you get a less inaccurate GOM, you won't need it, anymore.
no condition is permanent

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”