It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:25 pm 
Forum Supporter

Well, I thought that the upgrade would improve this "Miles to Go" estimator. But no.

Driving at 35 mph, flat road, no AC or heat, Eco mode, (pretty much best case) I see the "Miles to Go" estimator drop by ~ 2.5 - 3 miles for each odometer mile driven!!

This is in California, 50 F - 65 F. I charge to 80% capacity as recommended by Nissan.

I really don't see why this meter would be so bad! It really should not be so far off. The knowledge of the battery discharge curve is well known, the new software update has been in place for four weeks.

Any ideas? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:56 pm 

Leaf Number: 00000
wescom wrote:
Well, I thought that the upgrade would improve this "Miles to Go" estimator. But no.

Driving at 35 mph, flat road, no AC or heat, Eco mode, (pretty much best case) I see the "Miles to Go" estimator drop by ~ 2.5 - 3 miles for each odometer mile driven!!

This is in California, 50 F - 65 F. I charge to 80% capacity as recommended by Nissan.

I really don't see why this meter would be so bad! It really should not be so far off. The knowledge of the battery discharge curve is well known, the new software update has been in place for four weeks.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I had exactly the same thing for the singular time I used the GoM after the update a few weeks ago. Similar conditions to you, absolutely the easiest conditions to make an estimate, and instead, it stuck on 26 miles to go for 6 miles, and then dropped like a rock.

I covered up the GoM again.

EVRAV4, was PLGS IN (#2244), & PLGIN2 (#20782)

Range Chart
All EV Rally, BC2BC, Mexico 2 Canada, Aug 10, 2014
100 Mile Club + Longest Drive
Next San Diego EVent
Battery Degradation Summary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 pm 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
After a few weeks of driving it over a route I know well and had good numbers for before the latest upgrade, it now appears obvious that the change is that they have shorted the integration period for the GOM. Thus, the GOM numbers now go up and down faster and over a shorter period than they did before.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 am 

Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
A GOM will never be accurate, until it is designed to estimate future driving.

The LEAFs, will never do that.

IMO, you are wasting your time moaning and bitching,

Use the GOM, for the limited information it provides.

Personally, I am dreading the GOM update, and every future one, since it will never provide any real improvement, only make obsolete the (useful history of driver's observations of) GOM performance, under the previous settings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2013
Leaf Number: 423014
do you realize that no amount of updating will allow it to PREDICT THE FUTURE??

after getting the SOC meter, i really dont look at it so cant say that its better or worse. i do glance at the battery bars occasionally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 am 

Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
They really need to just change it to a % of SOC meter and be done with it... I reset my odometer after every full charge and can do math. :D

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:29 am 

Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Oh yes - it can predict the future. But for that - one needs to put in the destination and using the geography, traffic conditions Leaf can calculate the range. I guess this will come a few years hence, though. But only because it can't be easily done by a 3rd party now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:56 am 

edatoakrun wrote:

Personally, I am dreading the GOM update, and every future one, since it will never provide any real improvement, only make obsolete the (useful history of driver's observations of) GOM performance, under the previous settings.

I tend to agree that the GoM will never be accurate, but that doesn't preclude making it MORE accurate than it is. Right now, it's just crazy, even when the existing conditions remain into the future. Thats not predicting the future; just using already established data, that isn't being used too well.

The next generation of GoM (and maybe not from Nissan) will, no doubt to me, include traffic and topography, temp, road conditions, etc, to develop a really plausible range prediction, based on where you tell it you want to go.

There's no technical reason it can't be so.

Range Chart
Next San Diego EVent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:02 am 

DarkStar wrote:
They really need to just change it to a % of SOC meter and be done with it... I reset my odometer after every full charge and can do math. :D

To appeal to a mass market, beyond early adopters, many of which hold technical education and jobs, will not be with anything that requires math!!!!

Heck, aren't we some double digit ranking in the world now for math and other sciences, and quickly spiraling down?

My wife, for example, will not do math. Neither will my mother. And limited range vehicles need something beyond a simple gas gauge for mass adoption.

Range Chart
Next San Diego EVent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 am 

Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
TonyWilliams wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:

I tend to agree that the GoM will never be accurate, but that doesn't preclude making it MORE accurate than it is. Right now, it's just crazy, even when the existing conditions remain into the future. Thats not predicting the future; just using already established data, that isn't being used too well.

The next generation of GoM (and maybe not from Nissan) will, no doubt to me, include traffic and topography, temp, road conditions, etc, to develop a really plausible range prediction, based on where you tell it you want to go.

There's no technical reason it can't be so.

If you are willing to input your precise destinations and route, no.

But there is also, not really any reason it should be necessary, to have what will always only be, a more "plausible" range estimate.

It is only the present, very limited public charge infrastructure, causing the present range prediction fixation, of BEV drivers. And having a more precise range prediction, is of no use, if there are no charge points within the variable range.

So, I certainly hope, by the time you get a less inaccurate GOM, you won't need it, anymore.