User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10085
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 am

I'm not in a position to personally validate extreme cold weather range performance, so I'm offering a free t-shirt to qualified data runs.

What I want is a car that is charged and driven at substantially the same temp. Generally speaking, the car would be outside or in a detached, unheated enclosure. I prefer outside. Also, I'd like a 4 hour period after a 100% charge and before the driving test.

I'd like data at any temperature below 14F/-10C.

Then, I'd like an hour of your busy day to drive your cold soaked, cell balanced LEAF over substantially level terrain (or at a minimum, arriving and departing at the same elevation). Start with a reset on the trip odometer and the dash miles/kWh.

Please drive all the way to Very Low Battery. Super mega extra credit for a run to turtle. Astronomical stupendous extra credit if you have a Gidmeter. <<--- we might be able to get a loaner to a dedicated data collector.

At the conclusion of your data run, I'd like:


Gid count, if available, at start-
Assumed battery temperature -
Dash miles/kWh ---------------
Miles traveled total ------------

Miles driven at Low Battery ------
How many fuel bars showing-----
Gid count, if available------------

Miles driven at Very Low Battery -
How many fuel bars showing-----
Gid count, if available-------------

Miles driven at Turtle, if applicable-
Gid count, if available--------------

Heater nominal power use kW----

Your t-shirt size:
shipping address:

No GuessOmeter data is requested, nor desired. No CarWings data.

An ideal run will be mostly level, with a mostly stable low temperature, with no extreme power used, particularly at lower battery levels (below the first Low Battery Warning). It will have charged to 100% the night before at roughly the same temp that the data run was made, and have 4 hour minimum between the charge and the beginning of the data run.

If you have your "end of charge" text message at the end of the charge, and then get another one 1.5 hours later, after the cell balancing top off is complete, there's no need to wait the full 4 hours.

Happy data collecting!
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mbutter
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 am
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1369

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 am

Is that a long sleeve t-shirt? :lol:
2011 Nissan SL, Ocean Blue, w/(useless??) DC port
Powered by: 3KW solar PV, and Austin 'GreenChoice' Energy (West Texas Wind)
Order, Deliver: 01/13/11, 5/11/11 (Pre-Tsunami)
EVSE: Schneider EV2430WS
Other cars: 08 Tacoma

EdmondLeaf
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:36 am

I admire Tony's dedication and thank you for Range Chart

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10085
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 am

mbutter wrote:Is that a long sleeve t-shirt? :lol:


It should be! You can check out the shirts at:

www.LoveMyLEAF.com

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10085
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:14 am

EdmondLeaf wrote:I admire Tony's dedication and thank you for Range Chart



Thanks. Since this is the first full winter with more than a handful of owners, it's really our best chance to get this information.

There's lots of guessing (myself included) on temperature induced battery degradation, and this is the only idea I've come up with to put data to the problem.

I intend to do something similar in the desert heat this summer, but I can do that myself.

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Tony, great idea! I've been wanting to gather more data as well, and one of the ideas I had was to repost this in the Canadian Facebook group. Can I do that? We'll have to put up with metric units of measure, but that's a small price to pay ;-)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/282243388457758/

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10085
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:51 pm

surfingslovak wrote:Tony, great idea! I've been wanting to gather more data as well, and one of the ideas I had was to repost this in the Canadian Facebook group. Can I do that? We'll have to put up with metric units of measure, but that's a small price to pay ;-)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/282243388457758/


Great idea. I don't know if there's a Scandinavian version of that. Cold places in the USA don't have any LEAFs! Well, actually, they may have more than Canada!

rborba
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:18 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 4814
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact: Website

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
surfingslovak wrote:Tony, great idea! I've been wanting to gather more data as well, and one of the ideas I had was to repost this in the Canadian Facebook group. Can I do that? We'll have to put up with metric units of measure, but that's a small price to pay ;-)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/282243388457758/


Great idea. I don't know if there's a Scandinavian version of that. Cold places in the USA don't have any LEAFs! Well, actually, they may have more than Canada!


Hey Tony. I can give it a try. High of -13C tomorrow and -11C on Saturday here in Ottawa, Canada. I don't have a Gidmeter though.

I'm on the Canadian Facebook group (I actually created the group :). I'll spread the word there and maybe get more volunteers. We have a member from Winnipeg, usually way colder than Ottawa.

Ricardo
2011 Nissan LEAF SL + QC, Black
Hand raised: Aug 11, 2010 -- Test driven: May 25, 2011
Reserved: Aug 27, 2011 12:05 PM EDT -- Ordered: Sep 16, 2011
Delivered: Sep 23, 2011 (first LEAF in Canada)
EVSE: AeroVironment J1772 (240V/30A)

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:04 pm

rborba wrote:I'm on the Canadian Facebook group (I actually created the group :). I'll spread the word there and maybe get more volunteers. We have a member from Winnipeg, usually way colder than Ottawa.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo -- good to see you here, and thank you for offering to help with this effort. In lieu of gids, would it be possible to note the number of hours on the 120V charging display? Obviously, we could use all the data you can collect, but that could get tedious. A few key figures would be a great improvement over what we have. I think Tony did a great job outlining the requirements.

George

rborba
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:18 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 4814
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact: Website

Re: Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:15 pm

surfingslovak wrote:Hi Ricardo -- good to see you here, and thank you for offering to help with this effort. In lieu of gids, would it be possible to note the number of hours on the 120V charging display? Obviously, we could use all the data you can collect, but that could get tedious. A few key figures would be a great improvement over what we have. I think Tony did a great job outlining the requirements.

George


Yes, I can definitely do that. I just need to change the config to show the charge time to 100% -- I'm charging to 80% right now. How precise is it compared to the Gid meter?

I was thinking about using the iPhone to take pictures of the dashboard along the way. The photos will have the time stamps in their metadata.

Ricardo
2011 Nissan LEAF SL + QC, Black
Hand raised: Aug 11, 2010 -- Test driven: May 25, 2011
Reserved: Aug 27, 2011 12:05 PM EDT -- Ordered: Sep 16, 2011
Delivered: Sep 23, 2011 (first LEAF in Canada)
EVSE: AeroVironment J1772 (240V/30A)

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”