Not getting text messages

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanuq

Forgive me if this has been asked before - I searched but didn't find it.

I have my carwings setup to text me notifications, but it doesn't seem to work. I checked my phone number is correct and have the correct wireless carrier selected. Is there something else I need to do - say set something in the car itself? I tested and it will send me an email, it just won't send me a text. I'd prefer the text message.

I've had the same issue since November. I'm in the Los Angeles region and have been in contact with Carwings support with no resolution. Suggest you call to drive home the point. Good luck.

(877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738) and follow the prompts.
7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Central Time
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Central Time
Saturday

nanuq said:

I have my carwings setup to text me notifications, but it doesn't seem to work. I checked my phone number is correct and have the correct wireless carrier selected. Is there something else I need to do - say set something in the car itself? I tested and it will send me an email, it just won't send me a text. I'd prefer the text message.

You do have to enable both Carwings (on the web) and in the car to get the text messages to work, and even then not all of the text messages you would expect seem to work (in particular when charging starts because of a timer you don't get that, although you DO get one when you manually start charging from your phone). To set it up in the car you need to go to MENU->CARWINGS->CARWINGS Settings->Charging Messages and from there you can adjust your settings to send charging status to CARWINGS so it can text you. Specifically Send Charging status to Data Center and Send Unplugged status to Data Center need to be turned on. Charging Status allows the car to send when it's been unplugged or charging has otherwise completed to CARWINGS, and theoretically when charging has started, but this doesn't appear to work.

Unplugged Status is for when you are in the vicinity of a charging station and you forget to plug in. But even that is not quite enough. The first item on that menu: Saved locations for unplugged messages needs to be set up as well. If you go to that item you can add new locations where the "not plugged in" text messages should be enabled if you want the reminder notices to be sent if you forget to plug in. So for example you need to add your home charging station location to this list.

You might have to disable email to get text messages?

Or, you might need to "reboot" the Carwings Settings by turning
them all ON, then all OFF, then turn the ones you want back ON.

lpickup said:
nanuq said:

You do have to enable both Carwings (on the web) and in the car to get the text messages to work, and even then not all of the text messages you would expect seem to work (in particular when charging starts because of a timer you don't get that, although you DO get one when you manually start charging from your phone). To set it up in the car you need to go to MENU->CARWINGS->CARWINGS Settings->Charging Messages and from there you can adjust your settings to send charging status to CARWINGS so it can text you. Specifically Send Charging status to Data Center and Send Unplugged status to Data Center need to be turned on. Charging Status allows the car to send when it's been unplugged or charging has otherwise completed to CARWINGS, and theoretically when charging has started, but this doesn't appear to work.

Unplugged Status is for when you are in the vicinity of a charging station and you forget to plug in. But even that is not quite enough. The first item on that menu: Saved locations for unplugged messages needs to be set up as well. If you go to that item you can add new locations where the "not plugged in" text messages should be enabled if you want the reminder notices to be sent if you forget to plug in. So for example you need to add your home charging station location to this list.

Thanks, yeah I already have all this part setup... still no texts. Guess I'm stuck with email notifications.

garygid said:

I thought that too - perhaps they are mutually exclusive. But I tried disabling email for text and that didn't work either.

nanuq said:
garygid said:

I thought that too - perhaps they are mutually exclusive. But I tried disabling email for text and that didn't work either.

Nope, I get both e-mails and texts. Only thing I'm missing is the charging started notifications when starting from a timer (I do get them when manually starting via my phone, which seems completely pointless to me).

Lance, good information!

Maybe CW was programmed to send the start-charging message whenever the start was NOT a manual start from Carwings. But, they accidently got the test backward, resulting in the message ONLY when starting with CW.

This could easily explain the situation with the missing Started-Charging messages.

Someone should call Cust. Support, explain these observations, and see if CW will FIX the problem.

If it was the car failing to notify CW when it starts charging, one would have hoped that the TCU firmware update would have fixed that in the car.

Personally, I think the test should be eliminated, and ANY start-charging should send a message.

The other observation I've made is that there is a difference between messages sent when charging is COMPLETE vs. STOPPED. The difference being COMPLETE is when you reach the 80% or 100% charging mark and the car terminates charging, vs. STOPPED when you pull the plug or otherwise stop charging at the EVSE. At least the e-mails are different (and maybe the text messages as well), meaning that somehow CW knows the difference. Unfortunately the setup for notifications does not distinguish between the two.

This is a very important difference and I would love to be able to turn one off and the other on. I don't really care that much about when charging is COMPLETE. As long as charging is in process, there is not much I can do but wait until charging is COMPLETE anyway, so no sense in being notified that that event has happened. But I very much want to know if charging has STOPPED as that would indicate, for example, that someone has unplugged me at a public charging station and I have a chance to do something about it if necessary.

And as long as we're on the topic of making CW smarter (more useful), it already has the ability to determine that the car is sitting at a "special" station (i.e. my home charging station) as I can set it up to text me when I "forget" to plug in at that station. But at that station I don't care if I'm "unplugged" so I don't need the charging STOPPED message there--I really only need it for charging stations that are NOT in this category (i.e. all other charging stations). So I guess what I'm asking for is the ability to define a notification profile for each individual charging station, plus a default profile for stations not specifically defined. The system already has all the necessary elements and capabilities to do this, but the current software does not allow the full amount of configuration.

If you think you have everything set up right but it still doesn't work, it's possible that you need a firmware update from Nissan (Nissan technical bulletin NTB-11-041) that fixes a Carwings issue where the Leaf has problems transmitting info to Carwings. For some reason, this issue doesn't affect everybody, but it affects enough people that they have an NTB for it. When I got my Leaf, Carwings was working fine for a short time then it went dead and I no longer got text messages from it and my Leaf data didn't get transmitted over to my Carwings account. I took it in for the firmware update and after that all my Carwings issues were fixed. So it may be worth a try to take your Leaf in to the dealership to have that firmware update if all else fails.

You can do a search on this forum for this NTB to learn more about it.

garygid said:
Actually, only stopping at 100% is "Complete".
Stopping at 80%, "unexpectedly interrupted", or "unplugged" all generate the "Stopped" message.
Gary, you are right, of course, but I suspect most of us think it should work the way Lance described it. What's most important is whether it did what I wanted it to do, or not.

Ray

planet4ever said:
garygid said:
Actually, only stopping at 100% is "Complete".
Stopping at 80%, "unexpectedly interrupted", or "unplugged" all generate the "Stopped" message.
Gary, you are right, of course, but I suspect most of us think it should work the way Lance described it. What's most important is whether it did what I wanted it to do, or not.

Ray
It's worse than that. I've unplugged and gotten the "complete" message, presumably since I had 12 bars, although it probably wasn't completely finished. I'm sure I would have gotten an unplugged message, but I don't have that one enabled...since I sometimes unplug multiple times a day, it was clogging my inbox.

Back