Android LEAF app on Kindle Fire?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBlueLeaf

so I have a Amazon Kindle Fire (came today). This thing is a android device but it only has apps that have been made available in the Amazon App marketplace. The LEAF app is sadly not one of them. I'm not surprised in the least but I'm also guessing that the app would work if I could figure out how to get it on to this thing myself. There is a setting for allowing applications that are outside the marketplace onto the app and I have set that correctly but I still can't find a work around. Now many of you are much smarter than me so I'll send out a challenge to you all - I know your all early adopters like me and one of you will not be content until you have figured this out.

Thanks

SeattleBlueLeaf

I'd stop by xda-developers.com. If anyone has figured out how to sideload apps on the Fire, it would be the folks on there. I have the LEAF app on my NookColor, and I will tell you that it doesn't adapt to the tablet screen very gracefully.

That's correct. Under Settings > Device, you will find Allow Installation of Applications. Turn that on and you can download APK files.

I'm not sure where you will find the APK file though. I don't have it.

Nissan should really add it to the Amazon App Store. Kindle Fire is a sweet little tablet for the money.

JustinC said:
Nissan should really add it to the Amazon App Store. Kindle Fire is a sweet little tablet for the money.

that it is Justin. For $200, the Fire is a amazing device. I'll try the suggestions and report back.

I'm curious if anyone has the latest Nook and how they like it. I'm hoping they do an ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) update to the Fire as well at some point but I am guessing that would be well off.

I'm wondering whether to get Kindle Fire or not - I've an old Kindle. Not sure what I'd do with it - since it is not a notebook replacement.

lonndoggie said:
I've read that you don't have to root to sideload apps, apparently they left that in there.

If true, you'd just have to get a copy of the apk.

Correct you can copy apps via USB and enable the "Allow Installation of Application from unknown sources". But you need to APK file. Anyone care to use create a backup of the leaf application from their android device and post the APK here for those less fortunate.

awesome. It isn't the best UI as it is defaulting to the size of a smart phone but it works. I was able to email the app to the kindle fire, save the app, and then open it in Quickoffice (comes with the fire) file manager tool. This gave me the choice to install the app which I did and it works!

Thank you so much!!!

Thanks frodrick!

As SeattleBlueLeaf mentioned the screen shape is a bit off with the size but it works great. Thanks for the file.

I am making the suggestion/request to Nissan that they release the Android Leaf app on Amazon's app marketplace as well. The process is super simple - especially since it is a free app.

This is the right thing to do for Nissan Leaf customers with Kindle Fire tablets, and avoids the "hoop jumping" of rooting your kindle fire each time a firmware update happens.

Same recommendation to Plugshare for their android app.

I have them both on iOS (iPhone 4) and there are very useful and used >4 x a week.

garygid said:
The app shows Charging after 80% charge when finished, but while still plugged in.
That's not been my experience, and I do that check fairly often. Are you sure the car wasn't charging? The app can show 10 bars, but the car hasn't stopped at "80%" yet.

Back