Charging at RV parks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmarilloLeaf

Since I am not an RV'er, I knew nothing about the ins and outs of using an RV park for charging purposes.

However, there are dozens of RV parks about 35 - 70 miles from me, that potentially would extend the range of my Leaf. I love how the Leaf drives, and my only complaint is that I can't go 350 miles at a time.

Considerations:
Faster charging:
Problem: 120 volt charging will take forever. My Blink weights a ton, is not very portable, and looks somewhat fragile.
Solution: I purchased Ingineer's modified 240v charger to shorten recharge time, and an adapter for the standard 240 volt RV Park socket, a NEMA 14-50R.

Where to go:
As far away as possible!
Solution: My strategy for my first trip was to find an RV park within walking distance of a restaurant. I'd have a nice leisurely lunch, see the local sights, and come back to a car with more charge on it. I planned a 90 mile round trip, and expected 20 miles of extra capacity with a 2 hour charge at the RV park. If you have more time, then you can go further.

What do you ask for at the RV park:
Chances are that they will be unfamiliar with electric cars. Here is a recent article from a magazine catering to managers of RV parks....
http://bit.ly/faxqdy

First, I would recommend identifying the RV park and calling them to verify that they can accomodate you. You can Google "RV Park City, State" and find them on a map.

Most of the non-franchise parks are husband and wife or family owned sites, and they are usually very friendly and accomodating. Tell them how many amps you draw (I use 12) , you will need "50 amp service" which is a 240v 50 amp socket, and ask how much they would charge. If the charge seems high, counter offer a lower but fair price. I paid $5 for the day with in-and-out privileges. The article refers to other parks that charge up to $10 for 4 hours.

Also, many state parks have RV hookups with 240v 50 amp service, but they are not listed as RV parks. We have such a park nearby. They, since they are bureaucratic institutions, they may want to charge a full RV site charge or not let you hook up at all. At some parks, they may not even care if you plug in at a vacant site as long as you aren't blocking someone.

What am I getting:
You simply park close enough to a power pedestal. Some have little light bulbs on them to assist RVs that arrive at night. The sockets are usually enclosed inside a hinged door that you simply swing up by grabbing from the bottom. There will be 120volt plugs, and the big 50 amp 240v socket for your charger. Some of the pedestals have circuit breakers that you simply turn on like you would those at your house. Some have a circuit breaker for each socket. Some have circuit breakers on the side. Some have no circuit breakers.

You might scope out the area quickly to decide which pedestal to choose if you weren't assigned a specific one. You may want to be closer to the park entrance, or far away from kids throwing rocks, or out of the sun, or whatever.

A short photo essay on my first trip is here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3540

Until EVs become the norm, I suspect that we will need to rely on RV parks as a place to reliably obtain 240v power outside of the city limits....

Also ask about day use fees to use the game room, pool, putting green, playground, and other amenities.
Next thing you know you will be buying an RV :lol:

AmarilloLeaf said:
Chances are that they will be unfamiliar with electric cars. Here is a recent article from a magazine catering to managers of RV parks....
http://bit.ly/faxqdy

This will be great:

The National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds, for its part, plans to create a listing of parks that offer electric vehicle refueling services on its GoCampingAmerica website.

This is great! At a time when the EV public recharging infrastructure is lagging very badly, an existing network of RV parks may help fill the gaps. And at a time when rising gas prices may reduce RV usage, park owners may find that EV drivers will help fill some of their vacant spaces.

Then some of those EV drivers could (re)discover camping. Some EV campers who recharge overnight might not want to carry their own tent, and would instead rent a cabin at the RV park. Then some enterprising hotel chain could notice the trend and decide to tap into it by promoting their own EV recharging with room. There are a lot of "ifs" but that's how these things often happen.

Amarilloleaf said in part:

"Most of the non-franchise parks are husband and wife or family owned sites, and they are usually very friendly and accomodating. Tell them how many amps you draw (I use 12) , you will need "50 amp service" which is a 240v 50 amp socket, and ask how much they would charge. If the charge seems high, counter offer a lower but fair price. I paid $5 for the day with in-and-out privileges. The article refers to other parks that charge up to $10 for 4 hours. "

I hear what you're saying, but I can drive 75 miles for $5 with my Prius (with gas @ $4/gal). Doesn't look like a very good deal to me. :?

derkraut said:
I hear what you're saying, but I can drive 75 miles for $5 with my Prius (with gas @ $4/gal). Doesn't look like a very good deal to me. :?
$5 or $10 isn't bad if you have access to the amenities offered by the RV park while charging. Besides, if it were purely about money, I would not have purchased a LEAF at this time; we did not need to replace a car. We derive a certain amount of satisfaction from polluting less and not burning foreign-sourced oil. Plus, while we appreciate our Prius, we do find the LEAF more fun to drive. There is also a sense of adventure in seeing how much the range of the LEAF can be extended.

walterbays said:
Then some of those EV drivers could (re)discover camping. Some EV campers who recharge overnight might not want to carry their own tent, and would instead rent a cabin at the RV park. Then some enterprising hotel chain could notice the trend and decide to tap into it by promoting their own EV recharging with room. There are a lot of "ifs" but that's how these things often happen.

Yes. For one, I am completely intrigued by the idea of staying in a "Yurt". It sounds very "communing with mother earth"! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, you cannot just plug the NEMA 14-50 plug (assuming you are using a cable that has 14-50 plug at one end and J1772 plug at the other end) into the 240 socket at the RV park. The LEAF expects a "pilot" signal. I have just confirmed this Sunday (2 days ago) and the LEAF won't charge because she didn't see the pilot signal.

waidy said:
Unfortunately, you cannot just plug the NEMA 14-50 plug (assuming you are using a cable that has 14-50 plug at one end and J1772 plug at the other end) into the 240 socket at the RV park. The LEAF expects a "pilot" signal. I have just confirmed this Sunday (2 days ago) and the LEAF won't charge because she didn't see the pilot signal.
Hi Waidy,

What EVSE were you using? If you were using the EVSE included with the car unmodified, you most likely damaged the unit and it will now need to be repaired.

Otherwise, you can have the included Level 1 EVSE upgraded over at http://evseupgrade.com/ for $200 so that it can do Level 1 or Level 2 charging. Then you would be able to plug into a NEMA 14-50 plug and be ready to go!

DarkStar said:
waidy said:
Hi Waidy,

What EVSE were you using? If you were using the EVSE included with the car unmodified, you most likely damaged the unit and it will now need to be repaired.

Otherwise, you can have the included Level 1 EVSE upgraded over at http://evseupgrade.com/ for $200 so that it can do Level 1 or Level 2 charging. Then you would be able to plug into a NEMA 14-50 plug and be ready to go!
I brought a J1772 assembly (a J1772 plug with 8 meter cord) from TucsonEV.com. Ron Freund assembled the NEMA 14-50 plug to the other end of the cord for me. The purpose of this assembly is to use it with a AVCON converter box. Ron also made me a AVCON converter box (contains a AVCON socket and a NEMA 14-50 socket) with the pilot signal wires straight from the AVCON connector to the NEMA connector. We tested the cable by plugging it directly to a 240V socket and it did not charge. I do, however, tested that the set up and it works fine with a AVCON charger.

I looked at the link you posted, the plug is not NEMA 14-50. How would it work at the RV park?

Waidy: From what you have described, what Ron assembled for you is basically an adapter that allows charging the LEAF with the (old-style) Avcon EVSE. The Avcon provides the pilot signal. Without an Avcon (or any other EVSE) your "14-50-to-J-plug" adapter will not work. The EVSE upgrade referenced above provides a particular type of plug (L6-20), but with an additional pigtail (available separately) it can be made to work with NEMA14-50R (as used at RV camps). Check out http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3085

LEAFer said:
Waidy: From what you have described, what Ron assembled for you is basically an adapter that allows charging the LEAF with the (old-style) Avcon EVSE. The Avcon provides the pilot signal. Without an Avcon (or any other EVSE) your "14-50-to-J-plug" adapter will not work. The EVSE upgrade referenced above provides a particular type of plug (L6-20), but with an additional pigtail (available separately) it can be made to work with NEMA14-50R (as used at RV camps). Check out http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3085
Thank you so much for referring the topic discussion. I am still reading it (it spans out into 3 topics). It sounds good!

By the way, here is a picture of a power pedestal common at some RV parks:
3651289948_33b30c11ea.jpg

(NEMA14-50 [240V@50A] on the left, TT-30 [120V@30A] on the right, and 5-20r [120V@20A w/GFCI] above.)

And here is another article from that same source. Obviously the RV Park business is taking notice of EVs, in Texas even.
http://www.woodallscm.com/2011/05/new-profit-center-recharging-electric-vehicles/

They said 40 kWh in 4 hours, which is 10 kW, not 50, but you are right, even 10 is nowhere close to "typical". Can anyone other than Tesla pull that much right now? Obviously LEAFs and Volts are under 4 kW. Apparently Ford is planning on 7+ at the wall next year.

Ray

Back