E-mail Invitation for Paid Research

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbrance

I recently got this e-mail in my mailbox. Has anyone else received a invitation like this? I was thinking about reaching out to THE CARLAB to verify that is legitimate.

Hello from New England Focus Group:

On behalf of our client—THE CARLAB, an automotive research and testing firm in Orange California (www.thecarlab.com) — we are seeking 2015 Model Year Nissan Leaf owners to participate in our upcoming paid automotive research. The purpose of the research is to evaluate how well electric vehicle batteries are maintaining their capacity as they age.

The research will be conducted entirely at a professional vehicle testing facility in Southern California. All of the testing will be completed on a dynamometer in the laboratory—providing a safe, secure, controlled environment. At NO time will your vehicle be driven on-streets or used for any other purpose. Participating vehicles will accumulate approximately 350 miles during the laboratory dynamometer testing.

To participate in this research, we will come to your home or office on an agreed upon time during a weekend to pick up your vehicle. The transportation to and from your home or office will be done exclusively by a professional vehicle transporter. The testing will take place over one week. We will arrange to deliver your vehicle back to you the following weekend. There is no other commitment required on your part.

Rest assured that no one except the professional vehicle transporter will be driving your vehicle—and this would be exclusively to get your vehicle on and off the transport truck to the client testing lab in Southern California.

To compensate you and since you may need to rent another vehicle during the week yours is being tested, all participants will receive $1,000 PLUS a report on the results of your vehicle’s testing (i.e. the current condition of your battery, how much storage capacity your battery still has, etc.).

That is the sleaziest proposal for "research" I have ever heard...

Run from that like the plague...

No one should ever be picking you or your car up or driving it... research is OPINIONS...

They want to put 350 miles on it via the dynmo? Holly crap! With my '12 that would mean fully charging the battery 7-8 times, with each charge taking anywhere from 20? hours via 120v down to 8'ish hours at 240v maximum 16a for older Leafs. Now I guess if they had a very expensive L3 QC they could do it in what 45 min? still were talking 7-8 full charges so multiply all my times by 7-8 :eek: All they would be basically doing would be either charging or driving the vehicle......sounds pretty odd to me :|

jjeff said:
They want to put 350 miles on it via the dynmo? ... that would mean fully charging the battery 7-8 times, with each charge taking anywhere from 20? hours via 120v down to 8'ish hours at 240v maximum 16a for older Leafs
I think that's the point. They want to fully charge and then fully drain the battery several times to measure it's remaining capacity. If they are serious about this I very much doubt they'd be using a L1 to charge the car in-between tests.

It's best to always assume any email offer involving a payment of some kind is a scam.
They will probably want your credit card number or bank account information first you know so they can "pay you"..

Don't replay to the email. Of you live near there go check it out.
I am not particularly thrilled by the idea of potentially having the car charged up to 100% and turtled several times.

The worst I have done to my car is had the low battery warning light cone on twice this winter as I was in sight of my charging area.

LeftieBiker said:
Look on the bright side: they aren't going to scam you AND put your car on a dynamo. Just one or the other. ;-)

Technically the "AND" is possible. I've seen 'offers' where the 'payment' was revealed in the very fine print to not be cash, but x dollars in credit on massively overpriced worthless stuff.

Back