little or no degradation from DCFC at 3-4 bars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafTaxi

I heard that lots of DCFC can hurt the battery. I am starting the day with 100% then doing 2 half hour DCFCs per day. But it's cold: car starts the day with 3 bars of battery temp. After the first DCFC, it usually hits 4 bars, charging @ 22-24kw from 40% to 70%. After the second DCFC, it sometimes gets to 5 bars charging @30-32kw from 40% up to 80%. Then I drive it down to 40% and go home and plug in.

If degradation happens from DCFC because of heat, and after three DCFC, the battery is still colder than it would be sitting parked on a 70 degree summer day, then am I right in thinking this is not going to hurt the battery?

mwalsh said:
But what happens when you're doing the same on a 90 degree day?

I will probably only be driving 8pm-11pm in summer. No DCFC needed. Just wondering about now.

I think your best estimate will be from other people who have done the same thing. AFAIK, there have been multiple cases of people using Leaf's as taxis and doing lots of DCFC. Those cars seemed to have done better than many cars that were used much less. Of course, YMMV.

Back