zmountin
Delivery Date: 31 May 2019

Re: Charge a little each day, or longer charges every few days?

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am

LeftieBiker wrote:You also should really have at least L-1 charging available at home. That requires only a good, unused or used only by a light or two circuit, 15-20 amp.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a distinction between L-1 and trickle charging? I thought that they were the same--plugging into a normal outlet. I do have that ability at home, although so far I've been able to do my charging at work or in public to save the electricity costs.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:23 pm

zmountin wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:You also should really have at least L-1 charging available at home. That requires only a good, unused or used only by a light or two circuit, 15-20 amp.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a distinction between L-1 and trickle charging? I thought that they were the same--plugging into a normal outlet. I do have that ability at home, although so far I've been able to do my charging at work or in public to save the electricity costs.
L-1 is the correct term. "Trickle charging" refers to L-1, but there is an implication in the term that it can't fully recharge an EV. It can and will, given enough time.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:19 pm

L1 refers to charging voltage of 120 volts. Still the current can range from 6 to 20+ amps.

There is no trickle charge or float charge with lithium. The charger turns off and disconnects when done. Charging is faster or slower but not really referred to as a "trickle charge" as is commonly known for a lead-acid battery.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”