Anyone using AmazingE or other cheap 16 AMP EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkhilles

I'm not looking to hear anything about "futureproof"ing or blah, blah, blah. I have a 2012 Leaf SV. 3.8 is my charging limit. I'm looking for feedback on whomever is using the cheapest-possible options (that are safe for day to day) for Level 2 charging.

Does that mean I'll need to adjust my wiring in a few years? Maybe, but chances are I'll need to at least change out the plug type anyway so I'll worry about it then.

On Amazon, the cheapest option seems to be the "AmazingE". UL listed, not a lot of reviews, but seems to be the same charger used for the 2nd Gen Volt. It uses a 14-30 receptacle. Alternatively, there's the Duosida stations which sorry me as they might be generic , but lots of good reviews and has a 6-20 receptacle.

Anybody using either one (or another cheap one) on a daily basis?

Also, I'll be getting an electrician out. Should I have them install something rated for a higher circuit and then get an adapter of some kind? I haven't done anything in 240 volt.

Thanks!

I would buy this one:

http://www.e-zencar.net/ev-charging-10a-16a-schuko/

Because it has variable current settings and operates at both 120V and 240V. Really flexible, especially when combined with adapters. I have it's big brother (32A model), been great so far.

With respect to the electrician, tell him/her you are relocating your dryer, don't tell them it's for an EV or they'll jack up the price. A NEMA 14-30R is ideal for your needs.

If you order that EVSE, ask them to put a 14-30P plug on it to save you the hassle.

Looks like a decent EVSE to me, note I'm also not worried about the Duosida and it does have the advantage of being able to be used on 120v(sounds like the AmazingE is L2 only) but if that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it!

Back