Downloading Carwings Data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

You may not have seen this Carwings screen, but there is a way to download your Carwings data into a csv file that Excel will open.

The way to navigate there from the Carwings home screen:

* Click on Driving History Link
* Click on Electric Rate Simulation sublink
- The data you want to download is displayed on this screen
* At the bottom of the page, there is a link "Download Electricity Usage Records".
Click there and grab the csv file.

I don't know yet if it gets reset every month or continues on after that, so I'm going to download my data for January and archive it.

It looks like they calculate energy economy like this: (Distance Traveled) / (Consumption - Regeneration)

Here's my downloaded file for people to look at...

http://home.roadrunner.com/~mhebert/rm/ElectricRate_january2011.xls

Red Randy

nice!! is this from website or car? right now my Carwings is not working so dont have any first hand knowledge yet. when car returns i will be calling Nissan to see what up

Randy said:
You may not have seen this Carwings screen, but there is a way to download your Carwings data into a csv file that Excel will open.

Here's my downloaded file for people to look at...

http://home.roadrunner.com/~mhebert/rm/ElectricRate_january2011.xls

Red Randy

You drove 109 miles to get home from the dealer?

Actually, we thought it was 111, but Carwings says a couple less miles :)

Read all about it here....More photos are on Page 5....

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2205

Randy said:
It looks like they calculate energy economy like this: (Distance Traveled) / (Consumption - Regeneration)

Same as (Distance Traveled) / Electricity Used (Total).

Still looks too high - how does it compare to what the car says ?

In typical use, at best only about 80% of the Regen energy put "into" the battery can be gotten back out of the battery, right?

But, that does not make up for the factor of 2 difference some have seen.

Perhaps the big differences are for slow trips using the heater, and CARWINGS is only counting energy going to the inverter (used to actually drive the motor), not the "Other" and "A/C-Heater" energy?

And, the car, more correctly, sums all the energy consumption?

Regen is basically getting back power used so it can't be used as a percentage with any accuracy. Now Eco mode really cranks the regen. I see 3-4 spots going back to the pack so guessing that is quite a bit. So u might get back 5 miles in average driving over say 70-80 miles but I could easily see getting back 10-20 miles in heavy stop and go traffic over 100 miles and that is huge

On my 49 mile drive home I had very heavy traffic for first 6 miles or so. How much regen is each tree worth? I think I ended up with 2.5 .

DaveinOlyWA said:
On my 49 mile drive home I had very heavy traffic for first 6 miles or so. How much regen is each tree worth? I think I ended up with 2.5 .
Would be nice if they gave them a unit like each car is worth something like 50 Wh on the Prius, eh?

drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Would be nice if they gave them a unit like each car is worth something like 50 Wh on the Prius, eh?
I am sure each tree is a specificvalue. But to find out may require reading the manual.... that could take a while

DaveinOlyWA said:
Regen is basically getting back power used so it can't be used as a percentage with any accuracy. Now Eco mode really cranks the regen. I see 3-4 spots going back to the pack so guessing that is quite a bit. So u might get back 5 miles in average driving over say 70-80 miles but I could easily see getting back 10-20 miles in heavy stop and go traffic over 100 miles and that is huge

LEAF regen is not that high, even on ECO and in stop and go 20% is not going to happen. Nissan only credits ECO with a total boost of 10%. The regen on a RAV4 is far stronger and a MINI E even more. The LEAF COULD have 80kw of regen but Nissan chose to restrict it. In hilly cities like SF LEAF owners will surely see considerable energy wasted to the brake pads that could have gone to the pack. Without a real-time kw meter you can't see what you are missing between the motor capacity and the limit set. This is all in the name of making it "like a normal car"

Instantaneous power usage is easy enough to measure and display.

I do not understand the "equate" in your "instantaneous power is hard to equate over time".

Are you saying that it is difficult to integrate the power readings (add them up) over time to get a good measure of the total energy used?

Easy for the car to do that.

I wrote a 'contact us' message to Nissan. I got a reply in less than an hour. If others of you consider this a useful idea, please write to Nissan. With enough input, my guess it will get implemented sooner rather than later. You can reach them here:

http://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now for the exchange of messages:

You asked: I would like to be able to download CarWings data as a tab or comma delimited file for use in Excel. Is there a path on the website that I have overlooked? If not, it is my understanding that this is not a 'rocket science' programming task. Perhaps you could get it implemented. Others are interested:

Thanks,

You have not overlooked any path on the website. At this time, the applications are not programmed to do so. Perhaps in the future, but for now the answer is no.

Sincerely,

Nissan Leaf Customer Service
Jocelyn Cash
1-877 NO GAS EV (664-2738)
Innovation For the Planet, Innovation For All

Thanks,

baumgrenze

I just wrote to Jocelyn Cash to tell her that it can be done. I created a Word document with screen dumps sized to fit the pages that illustrates the process step by step. Is there a place on the forum where this could be made available if the moderators think it useful. I did not find the navigation to be 'intuitive' and needed assistance from Nissan's support number to get to the CarWings page.

Here is the text of the email:

Please share this information with your colleagues; it is 'easy' to download the data. Tell others who inquire to open:

https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We assume that the owner has established an ID/PW with Nissan. The first step it log in. Under the "My Vehicles" tab a page should open with a black car outline on the left and the VIN on the right. On a banner at the bottom it says VIEW LEAF STATUS. Click on that link. A new URL opens
that reads:

https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/vehicles#jjjjj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, where jjjjj = an ID number assigned to the owner's car

Near the bottom of the screen, on the left, is a button entitled "launch CARWINGS" Click on that link and it opens a Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) page. With my Mozilla browser, the link does not show in an address bar, as such. The top blue bar of the window reads "https://zeroemission.nissan-carwings.com - Zero Emission - SeaMonkey" but it cannot be selected and copied. On this page you select the button on the top left that reads "Driving History". Near the top of the next page select “electric rate simulation” and this will open a page with tabulated information. Select ‘Download Electricity Usage Records’ at the bottom of that page and you will be able to save a ‘csv’ file for use in Excel.

I've attached a Word document with a bunch of screen dumps to illustrate the whole process.

Back