Do i need to change SIM card for NissanConnect EV after importing?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristis

Hi all,

I have bought 2013 Leaf (2012 model) from Italy, do i need to change the SIM in the car to be able to use it? Currently it does not connect...

If your car was originally sold in Italy, you may want to look into the European Leaf forums. I'm not sure if the EU/JDM Leafs have the same issues with the telematics as North American cars. It could be as easy as a SIM swap or as difficult as having to swap out electronics. Norwegians who are using ex-US Leafs have had difficulties in getting the telematics unit to work with their cellular providers.

For US cars, starting at the end of 2016, the telematics unit in all but the latest Leafs stopped working. That's because they were designed to work with AT&T's 2G cellular service, and AT&T shut that service off at the end of last year. Nissan USA is offering an upgrade to let it continue working, but it is at the expense of the owner. Canadians who imported US Leafs have mentioned difficulties about getting the necessary parts through Nissan Canada channels for this upgrade.

European Leafs do not need to change SIMs as long as they stay within the EU/EEC area. Here in Norway we get secondhand Leafs from all over Europe - including Italy - and they all have working Carwings/NissanConnect. But they might need to have this functionality activated by a Nissan-dealer in some cases.

Back