Coreminator
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:03 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 410367
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 am

Bellingham Nissan wanted an appointment. It seemed busy when I visited. I did book an appointment so I was assured I could wait for the service to be completed.
If you didn't know, there's a free DC fast charge station on their lot. That gave me the quick boost to drive back north. :)

Coreminator
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:03 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 410367
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:40 am

I found out I was using the wrong android app to connect my Leaf. It should read NissanConnect EV and the icon in the Google Play store is the Zero Emissions logo. The app current version is 4.0.3. This it the US version. Since I am still registered as US (i.e. accessing the owner's portal via Nissan USA), the range is report in imperial units.

The Canadian version looks identical except it is identified as "NissanConnect Canada EV" and it is version 3.0.5. However, when you first sign in you can identify which country your id is registered to...i.e. US or Canada. When I was logging in via the Canadian app I set the country to US...that works with measurements reported in imperial.

So has anyone converted/registered their Leaf with Nissan Canada in the Owner's Portal? What was that experience like? I suspect the range reported will be stated in metric.

tysoncooper
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 417340

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 am

Coreminator wrote:The Canadian version looks identical except it is identified as "NissanConnect Canada EV" and it is version 3.0.5. However, when you first sign in you can identify which country your id is registered to...i.e. US or Canada. When I was logging in via the Canadian app I set the country to US...that works with measurements reported in imperial.

So has anyone converted/registered their Leaf with Nissan Canada in the Owner's Portal? What was that experience like? I suspect the range reported will be stated in metric.


Yeah, that's been annoying me a bit with this... no option to choose your units in-app. I didn't even try the Canadian app, didn't realise it would allow you to point to the US site. But no point anyway if the units are still imperial.

jerkwagon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:16 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 411662

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:07 am

Does anyone know how the System works exactly? What is the difference between a US and Can Leaf? Is it simply just a web address somehwere that the ECU points to? http://www.us.gohere.com or http://www.can.gohere.com? Seems to me that canadians with a 2013 CND leaf would still have access to carwings or do they also need to upgrade the ECU to get it to work?

Side note, i was wondering if this info was stored on the SD card? Got me thinking of what would happen if i plugged in a cnd SD card in my car, would it connect to Canada's Connect?

after some research i found this
the sat nav is like a mbl phone and is locked to the card at the factory or dealership on delivery. therefore will only work on that hardware. Another card wont work


so no
2013 Leaf SV US import

chivalryx
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2016
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Coreminator wrote:I found out I was using the wrong android app to connect my Leaf. It should read NissanConnect EV and the icon in the Google Play store is the Zero Emissions logo. The app current version is 4.0.3. This it the US version. Since I am still registered as US (i.e. accessing the owner's portal via Nissan USA), the range is report in imperial units.

The Canadian version looks identical except it is identified as "NissanConnect Canada EV" and it is version 3.0.5. However, when you first sign in you can identify which country your id is registered to...i.e. US or Canada. When I was logging in via the Canadian app I set the country to US...that works with measurements reported in imperial.

So has anyone converted/registered their Leaf with Nissan Canada in the Owner's Portal? What was that experience like? I suspect the range reported will be stated in metric.


When we had the work around, triflic was able to get the Nissan Rep to add his VIN to the Canadian Portal, so it was almost like a Canadian LEAF. I suspect this was a no-no. You can always ask though.

Chiv.
2013 White Pearl SV (No quick charge)
Weathertech custom floormats
Aftermarket LED Headlight upgrade (45W 4800 lumen/bulb)
12V 20Ah Prismatic LiFeMnPO4 Lead Acid replacement
Aftermarket Rear Backup Camera wired to NAV

alozzy
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:11 pm

FYI, for anyone living in Greater Vancouver, check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23349

Sounds like Jonker Nissan in Surrey are doing the TCU upgrades for $200 CA!
Canadian with a US 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Big grin, enjoying my first BEV :D

stonymtnleaf
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:37 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026495
Location: Stony Mountain, MB

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am

stonymtnleaf wrote:Well, another week has gone by. ....
Back on the phone to the service manger (at the original dealer in Minneapolis) to see what can be done. His explanation was that the final step of the 3G upgrade is to "wake up the TCU" by connecting a Nissan supplied computer to the car and sending appropriate commands to the TCU. This apparently is not a user key-stroke in the car process. What I should have asked (but didn't) is if this is to the OBCD port or some other connection to the car. It would be nice if one of the generic OBCD readers would do the job but not clear at this time.

Will try some of the other Wpg dealers next week to see if one of them has the right magic Nissan computer on hand to "wake up" my TCU.

The saga continues ...

So yet another week has gone by ...

Yesterday, I went to another Wpg Nissan dealer on the far side of town. On the phone they had said "yes, can do" and did not run away when I mentioned a US spec Leaf. After explaining my situation and having the hourly shop rate carefully pointed out to me, off they went with my Leaf.

An hour later it was back, and CarWings was working! Had to go home and update my password again but the full suite of CarWings services seems to be working despite my rural location and sometimes marginal cell phone reception. So let's declare success and move on .

Bottom line was $315 Cdn for the part and then $135 for one hour of dealer shop time and taxes of $17.50 for $152.50 to get things working. Total cost for my 3G upgrade thus abt $467 Cdn; a bit pricey but then I have been paying Volvo bills for over 20 years so it's all relative. The $199 USD conversion works out to abt $267 CDN, add 15% for Ottawa and your Province and that's $307, so I am abt $160 more. So for those located close to a US Nissan dealer, it's worth the trip.

Next question I suppose would be when/if the Cdn cell companies shutdown 2G forcing Nissan Canada into a wide spread 3G upgrade campaign and what it will cost locally, taxes in.

On a technical note, the tech brought the car back with a laptop running some sort of Nissan software and connected to the usual OBDC port, so that's how it's actually done.

Now to try and get my Android phone's NissanConnect app to work ...
2012 Leaf SL Silver
Stony Mountain, MB

alozzy
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 am

I'm booked for Friday at Jonker Nissan in Surrey, copay confirmed for $199 CA. Nice!

I'll post back to let you all know how it's going.
Canadian with a US 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Big grin, enjoying my first BEV :D

chivalryx
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2016
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:49 am

alozzy wrote:I'm booked for Friday at Jonker Nissan in Surrey, copay confirmed for $199 CA. Nice!

I'll post back to let you all know how it's going.


That's awesome! Let us know how it goes. $199CA is amazing.

Chiv.
2013 White Pearl SV (No quick charge)
Weathertech custom floormats
Aftermarket LED Headlight upgrade (45W 4800 lumen/bulb)
12V 20Ah Prismatic LiFeMnPO4 Lead Acid replacement
Aftermarket Rear Backup Camera wired to NAV

alozzy
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

That's awesome! Let us know how it goes. $199CA is amazing
.

I know, right! I thought for sure it would be more than that. We're getting a bargain, as long as it actually works consistently
Canadian with a US 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Big grin, enjoying my first BEV :D

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”