Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivalryx

So unfortunately like everyone else my car stopped talking to Nissan around Jan 5. My Leaf SV was imported from the US to Canada (Vancouver) andNissan actually removed my vin from their system when they wiped out all 2G users.(which would explain why some are having issues post 3G upgrade). I spoke with one of the larger dealerships (Morrey Nissan Burnaby) and they said they won't even do the upgrade as it's a US issue. I would have to bring it back to the US to have it done. I'm going to try and see if Nissan USA will reactivate my account to see if it will still roam and talk to the server as it has in the past. Just an FYI for any importers.

I had the same issue (I'm in Victoria). I had downloaded the Canadian NissanConnectEV app and used my us address, and I was able to use the app as if I had a Canadian Leaf.

When I spoke to Nissan they said they intentionally closed this loophole in order to try to stop Canadians importing Leafs from the US. Nice :(

As far as customer-orientation is concerned, this was an own-goal. Because if they don't sort this out so that I can use the app again, my next car is going to be a Tesla.

Please post again regarding any headway that you make, and any specific person or department that may be able to redress the situation.

My telematrics stopped working in Vancouver on Jan 6.
I have had a 2011 from the US for the last 4 years
The telematics has always worked well.
Rogers is to discontinue the 2G service in the next few months but if the 3G upgrade is not available in Canada
I will go back to using the onboard times.

I got it to work! (YMMV)

After speaking with Nissan Canada, then Nissan USA, I decided to experiment.

I deleted my car from Nissan Connect USA. Then when I tried to add it back on Nissan Connect USA, the system said "VIN doesn't exist", and to contact them.

I decided to use the online chat tool with Nissan USA just like I did when I first had my Carwings setup.

After a little prodding, the CSR (Jason) said it was ok for him to add my VIN back into their Nissan Connect system, but he didn't think anything would work, and I should speak with a Nissan Dealership in the US to have the TCU updated.

My car showed back up in the Nissan Connect system, and I was issued a new userID/password to enter into the NAV unit.

With the new userID/password on the NAV unit, it automatically started connecting to Nissan, and surprisingly it signed in, and started pulling station updates!

I haven't had time to test much, but so far it pulls updates, can access POI powered by Google (which uses the 2G data stream), and I can now see my battery/charge status on the Nissan Connect iPhone app.

Will be testing remote climate control when I have time later this evening.

Hope it stays until Rogers shuts 2G down in 2018!

Chiv.

Thanks to you HUGE for this, chivalryx! :D :D :D

Currently I'm easily able to access and use all functionality (Climate Control, Data, State of Charge, etc. etc.) from the website.
I'm getting email status updates when Climate Change is On and Off.

The NissanEV iphone APP remains very flakey, moreso than in 2016. I can at the very least get the SOC, which is the main thing. But "Climate Control Off" doesn't seem to work (I can turn it on though, which is more important!)

Currently, I cannot access data with the NissanEV iphone APP. (meaning, all the carwings things like how many kms I've driven and such - NOTE: I can with the website though). The vehicle is not sending me text updates anymore. But I'll give it a little time to 'settle' after updating all the info on the website.

Either way, I can log in to the website via my phone, so I the iphone APP is not critical. Via the NissanConnectCanada site, all the TCU goodies are back.

(And it should be noted: Half a dozen NISSAN people: the EV Hotline, NISSANConnect, Nissan-Canada Customer Support, Nissan USA customer support insisted that it was impossible and that I'd have to drive the vehicle down to the USA and have hardware ripped out and re-installed.)

My version of the 'Canadian 2G Fix' differs a bit from chivalryx's, but it also worked.

It can be found here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17300&p=482798#p482798

chivalryx said:
I got it to work! (YMMV)

I deleted my car from Nissan Connect USA. Then when I tried to add it back on Nissan Connect USA, the system said "VIN doesn't exist", and to contact them.

I decided to use the online chat tool with Nissan USA just like I did when I first had my Carwings setup.

After a little prodding, the CSR (Jason) said it was ok for him to add my VIN back into their Nissan Connect system, but he didn't think anything would work, and I should speak with a Nissan Dealership in the US to have the TCU updated.

My car showed back up in the Nissan Connect system, and I was issued a new userID/password to enter into the NAV unit.

With the new userID/password on the NAV unit, it automatically started connecting to Nissan, and surprisingly it signed in, and started pulling station updates!

I haven't had time to test much, but so far it pulls updates, can access POI powered by Google (which uses the 2G data stream), and I can now see my battery/charge status on the Nissan Connect iPhone app.

Chiv.

THANKS!!! This worked. It sure took me a lot of convincing to get the online Chat person (Joseph) to agree to add my VIN back after I deleted it. He told me it won't work in Canada, etc. etc. but finally he agreed. The thing I noticed was that when I went back and agreed to the terms and conditions online it gave me the same username as was already in my Carwings in the car. The password was asterixed out so I don't know if that was the same -- I deleted it just to be safe and entered the one I was just given... it connected to the station in the car... I came inside... checked online and it connected and worked!

Thanks again! We had an appointment in Nissan Bellingham for Thursday to upgrade to 3G that my wife is now cancelling. I had my Tesla Model S upgraded from 3G to LTE last week. We're going to replace our Leaf with a Tesla Model 3 so I just need 2G in the Leaf to last until I get it -- hopefully it lasts that long!

Canuck said:
chivalryx said:
I got it to work! (YMMV)

Chiv.

THANKS!!! This worked. It sure took me a lot of convincing to get the online Chat person (Joseph) to agree to add my VIN back after I deleted it. He told me it won't work in Canada, etc. etc. but finally he agreed. The thing I noticed was that when I went back and agreed to the terms and conditions online it gave me the same username as was already in my Carwings in the car. The password was asterixed out so I don't know if that was the same -- I deleted it just to be safe and entered the one I was just given... it connected to the station in the car... I came inside... checked online and it connected and worked!

Thanks again! We had an appointment in Nissan Bellingham for Thursday to upgrade to 3G that my wife is now cancelling. I had my Tesla Model S upgraded from 3G to LTE last week. We're going to replace our Leaf with a Tesla Model 3 so I just need 2G in the Leaf to last until I get it -- hopefully it lasts that long!

Glad to hear it worked! Another couple of folks from a facebook page were able to get it to work as well. Somehow they convinced the agent to put their VIN into the Canadian Portal, so they can access it with the Canadian site. I wasn't able to, but it works anyways with the US one. Glad to hear my experiment is helping some folks out :)

triflic said:
Thanks to you HUGE for this, chivalryx! :D :D :D

Currently I'm easily able to access and use all functionality (Climate Control, Data, State of Charge, etc. etc.) from the website.
I'm getting email status updates when Climate Change is On and Off.

The NissanEV iphone APP remains very flakey, moreso than in 2016. I can at the very least get the SOC, which is the main thing. But "Climate Control Off" doesn't seem to work (I can turn it on though, which is more important!)

Currently, I cannot access data with the NissanEV iphone APP. (meaning, all the carwings things like how many kms I've driven and such - NOTE: I can with the website though). The vehicle is not sending me text updates anymore. But I'll give it a little time to 'settle' after updating all the info on the website.

Either way, I can log in to the website via my phone, so I the iphone APP is not critical. Via the NissanConnectCanada site, all the TCU goodies are back.

(And it should be noted: Half a dozen NISSAN people: the EV Hotline, NISSANConnect, Nissan-Canada Customer Support, Nissan USA customer support insisted that it was impossible and that I'd have to drive the vehicle down to the USA and have hardware ripped out and re-installed.)

Mine took all day to finally show up on the app (nearly 6 hours after activation). And it only displayed the last trip (a short 5km drive). It will show up eventually. I guess it takes time for the car to send the data.

evken said:
Rogers is to discontinue the 2G service in the next few months...
Not according to Rogers...

"Rogers operates Canada's only nationwide 2G GSM/EDGE network, and has committed support until 2018."

http://enterprise.rogers.com/en/solutions-services/supporting-infrastructure/rogers-network-advantage

Thanks so much for this and this is what I did very simple and no convincing anyone

1.) Delete Car from Nissan Connects Website (US WEBSITE)
2.) Try to Add it back (will get message to contact Nissan)
3.) Use Chat and tell them you deleted you car in error and please add it back (Make sure you have the US address info you used to initially register the car on the US Site so they can verify it is you)
4.) They will add car back and you will be given the same connect code but a different password (This will be seen on the US connect owner portal website when you login)
5.) Get in car and setup carwings account again in the car. (My User name was same but password was different)
6.) You may get a message at first that it is busy (This is a good thing as it is downloading data like charge stations to car)
7.) Wait until updates done and try entering user data again.
8.) Should get message registered - BINGO
9.) Web app and phone app working
so should be good until rogers cancels the 2G network

lenh said:
Thanks so much for this and this is what I did very simple and no convincing anyone

1.) Delete Car from Nissan Connects Website (US WEBSITE)
2.) Try to Add it back (will get message to contact Nissan)
3.) Use Chat and tell them you deleted you car in error and please add it back (Make sure you have the US address info you used to initially register the car on the US Site so they can verify it is you)
4.) They will add car back and you will be given the same connect code but a different password (This will be seen on the US connect owner portal website when you login)
5.) Get in car and setup carwings account again in the car. (My User name was same but password was different)
6.) You may get a message at first that it is busy (This is a good thing as it is downloading data like charge stations to car)
7.) Wait until updates done and try entering user data again.
8.) Should get message registered - BINGO
9.) Web app and phone app working
so should be good until rogers cancels the 2G network

"(Make sure you have the US address info you used to initially register the car on the US Site so they can verify it is you)"

I registered on the US site with my Canadian address so this is probably why it takes convincing for some of us.

Hi Folks, Is it still working for you, my car lost connection yesterday and I am still unable to connect. I used a modification of the Chivalryx method. Worked for like a charm for 3 days but now it says unable to connect to data center.

For those using the US Nissan Connect site, if yours stopped working in the last day or so, we found a solution that worked for us:

1) sign in online to your US online account
2) Go to "Edit Vehicle/Decline (Agreement)" and click on all the buttons to confirm the "decline"
3) It will get to a part to re-accept the agreement again, and click on the buttons to confirm that.
4) You get a new password for your PIN (usually the same as what you had previously)
5) Go to the car, change it... do a "sign-on" and it said "Account Activated"

medtech1 said:
For those using the US Nissan Connect site, if yours stopped working in the last day or so, we found a solution that worked for us:

2) Go to "Edit Vehicle/Decline (Agreement)" and click on all the buttons to confirm the "decline"
3) It will get to a part to re-accept the agreement again, and click on the buttons to confirm that.
4) You get a new password for your PIN (usually the same as what you had previously)

Thank You! This worked. Anyone know why we lost it? Hopefully it stays longer this time.

Has anyone updated their Telematics and gotten it to work. I had mine updated and I still cannot connect. If anybody has gotten this to work would like to know what you did.

medtech1 said:

So this worked for two days and now it's not connecting again. Is 2G staying longer than a couple of days when registered with the Canadian one? If so, I am going to get NIssan to switch me over to the Canada one.

Back