Considering 365 Mile Road Trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branflakes104

Considering a 365 Mile single day road trip. Longest single day trip I've taken. Furthest trip I've taken is 171 miles from Gadsden AL to Buford GA on the day I picked the up my LEAF and that was done in the Winter. I've never even been on a road trip in the wife's LEAF. If I take the LEAF I'd be driving from Buford, GA to my parents house near Tracy City, TN and back. Usually for this trip I would take the Routan but I'm just dropping my oldest two children for a week at Grandma's house before school starts. Essentially this would be a free trip because all my charging stops are in the no charge to charge program. I'm not concerned with range between charges. My furthest run is 57.4 miles and I do 50 miles daily because I commute from Buford to Marietta daily. I normally arrive home with a state of charge somewhere in the 30's. I have alternate charge points planned out if my primary charging points are out of order or I end up slightly short. What I'm concerned about is 6 level 3 charges in the expected 95 degree Georgia/Tennessee heat! I don't do it often but when I do fast charge it makes the battery get hot quick! I'm looking for thoughts on if the batteries can take the heat. I know my LEAF goes up to 7 sometimes even 8 bars after level 2 charging and running the 50 miles home in 95 to 100 degree heat in the afternoon. I'm also trying to consider the elevation changes going up into the mountains. Especially the last little bit as I climb the several mile 7% grade up the Cumberland Plateau. I have a 12 bar leaf with my normal DTE showing around 80 miles at 100% charge. On my normal commute I average about 3.9 KW/H per mile and I just keep up with Atlanta traffic usually capping my speed at 75 and the A/C set to 70. For this trip I plan on capping my speed at 65 and running the A/C at about 73 degrees. I'm aware that my speed will likely be more consistent on the higher end of the spectrum once I leave the Atlanta metro so I'm dropping my speed to compensate. Might even drop my speed a slight bit more if deemed necessary.

I'm including my planned primary charging locations. Maybe some locals can give good intel as to the state of these chargers or someone who has actually made the run from Atlanta to Chattanooga and back may be able to give me some good insight.

Thanks,
Brandon

Origin
Near Mall of GA Buford, GA

Stop 1 (Level 3)
Town Center at Cobb
400 Ernest W Barrett Parkway NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144
44.9 Miles
Cost: Free (No Charge to Charge)

Stop 2 (Level 3)
Calhoun Premium Outlets
455 Belwood Rd, Calhoun, GA 30701
42.9 Miles

Stop 3 (Level 3)
Hampton Inn
74 Starview Ln, Chattanooga, TN 37419
57.4 Miles

Stop 4 (Level 1 Approx 3 to 4 Hours)
Destination
Near Tracy City, TN
36.7 Miles
Cost: Free

Stop 5 (Level 3)
Hampton Inn
74 Starview Ln, Chattanooga, TN 37419
36.1 Miles

Stop 6 (Level 3)
Calhoun Premium Outlets
455 Belwood Rd, Calhoun, GA 30701
56.8 Miles

Stop 7 (Level 3)
Town Center at Cobb
400 Ernest W Barrett Parkway NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144
43.3 Miles

Stop 8 (Final Destiation)
Near Mall of Georgia
Buford, GA
47.2 Miles
Home Level 2 Charging

These seem close enough together that charging to 80% or less should be enough, that should help keep the heat down. Also, in another thread, they're advising running the AC as you charge, on outside air, not recirculate, on the theory that the cabin air vents around the pack case, helping to cool it. That might slow down the charge? Not sure.

Air flow around the battery case at freeway speeds will dissipate the heat from charging and driving so I don't think you will have a thermal issue unless you are stuck in slow traffic. Air release vents are in rear of car so I see no benefit for outside air vs. recirculation if you run A/C while charging--use whichever mode is best for conditions. Most airflow around the battery case while charging comes from the electric radiator/condenser fans so that air is heated by the A/C system (and by the onboard charger during L1 or L2 charging).

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Air release vents are in rear of car so I see no benefit for outside air vs. recirculation if you run A/C while charging--use whichever mode is best for conditions. Most airflow around the battery case while charging comes from the electric radiator/condenser fans so that air is heated by the A/C system (and by the onboard charger during L1 or L2 charging).

Gerry
Hi Gerry,
I tested this and the cool air did go down onto the top of the Battery in my 2013SL. It may be that different models are different. Also I know that the Prius is as you have stated, but I have not found that the "Air release vents are in rear of car" on my Leaf.

So can you give me better instructions on where to look for the Air release vents?

Thanks,
Dan

Back