Range Extender?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0101

My car is now 5 years old and there has been some range degradation (as expected). It would be nice it Nissan came out with a range extender that I could rent for the few times each year that I'd like to take my Leaf on a long trip. Especially as these batteries age, this would be nice to have.

Where are the Range Extenders?

Sort answer- they don't make sense at many levels both. Plenty of threads here with the subject beaten to death and likely again below. This is why you don't see them and won;t because the argument against them gets stronger as longer range EVs are a reality.

EVDRIVER said:
Sort answer- they don't make sense ... the argument against them gets stronger as longer range EVs are a reality.
As batteries get cheaper, the range extender could be a 40kWh battery pack. It does not have to be a generator. There is a case to be made for a range extender (battery, gen-set, or hybrid). There is a market for shorter range EVs. Even as the 200+ mile range EVs come out, there will be people that would be happy to spend ~$5k and get a cheaper, shorter-range EV. This combined with the vehicles that are on the road now and the degrading range makes a case there is and will be some market for range extenders.

DanCar said:
patrick0101 said:
..., this would be nice to have.
Agree. EP Tender is or was working on one. https://www.google.com/search?q=EP+Tender+Mini+Trailer&oq=EP+Tender+Mini+Trailer
I agree it would be nice but unfortunately the charge port is on the wrong end of the car and you wouldn't really want to drive with it open anyway. I'd think something like this would be hard to wire up, not really a DIY project and my guess somewhat expensive to retrofit. I guess we can dream though :)

jjeff said:
... and my guess somewhat expensive to retrofit. I guess we can dream though :)
If it becomes popular then perhaps a second standard port on the back of the EV would make sense. I would lobby for government regulations if enough people found it interesting. Seems like a second battery pack in a trailer would be very interesting for long distance travel. Perhaps after these cars are selling a million a year, will the business bloom.

I still think, a small Hydrogen Fuel Cell with a compact hydrogen tank (like a propane cylinder) in the trunk would be a viable range extender, especially for people with longer commutes who don't have workplace charging access and need range extended while parked.

It would also compensate for range depletion over time..

mihird said:
I still think, a small Hydrogen Fuel Cell with a compact hydrogen tank (like a propane cylinder) in the trunk would be a viable range extender, especially for people with longer commutes who don't have workplace charging access and need range extended while parked.

I think you mean a fuel cell vehicle, they have those already. Good luck with the aftermarket since they can't even do batteries safely.The best range extender is a new EV or a second car.

EVDRIVER said:
mihird said:

I think you mean a fuel cell vehicle, they have those already. Good luck with the aftermarket since they can't even do batteries safely.The best range extender is a new EV or a second car.

No, I don't mean a fuel cell car whose primary source of energy is a fuel cell. I mean a small 2x2 ft. sized range extender box that contains a small fuel cell and a small hydrogen fuel tank....(like a propane heater type appliance)...

It does not have to be very potent - being able to provide an additional 3-10 Kwh of power on a trickle would make a decent range extender,

mihird said:
EVDRIVER said:
mihird said:

No, I don't mean a fuel cell car whose primary source of energy is a fuel cell. I mean a small 2x2 ft. sized range extender box that contains a small fuel cell and a small hydrogen fuel tank....(like a propane heater type appliance)...

It does not have to be very potent - being able to provide an additional 3-10 Kwh of power on a trickle would make a decent range extender,

I know exactly what you meant. It's a non-starter. Try to make a business case for such a product that is safe, reliable, even slightly affordable and that does not come with a high degree of technical issues for installation. Let's not even begin on liability on this CBA because that alone will be a huge line item. All the business cases for these range extenders are not based in the real business world where there is a shred of viability. What would be "cool" or what we would like in no way translates remotely into a business that can survive. AS I noted in my OP, this tread will go on forever like push trailers and how they are safe and a great idea. Too bad no one is jumping on that cash cow.

Some of you might want to read this thread covering BEVx developments over the last ~5 years.

There have been many reports that Nissan is considering a BEVx model, which, IMO, is a far superior solution to overloading a BEV with expensive, heavy, and constantly-degrading batteries, for drivers with occasional long-distance travel needs:

The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847&start=330

edatoakrun said:
More on Nissan's BEVx plans reported below.

It's probably too much to hope that the report is wrong about it using petrol as fuel.

As I mentioned in MY OP four years ago, IMO gasoline is a poor choice for fueling a rang-extended BEV.

It's pathetic that the public is so convinced that gasoline is desirable, that no BEVx manufacturer may consider using a superior fuel.

Wacky Gripz concept (vaguely) previews Nissan's next compact SUV – and its range-extender tech

...As we reported last week, Nissan will unveil its first range-extending EV as early as 2016, but it won’t be the next LEAF, so unless it’s a dedicated new ‘green’ model, the JUKE EV could be revealed earlier than expected next year.

Effectively an electric vehicle incorporating an onboard engine to power the batteries but not drive the wheels, the ‘REV’ will combine the LEAF’s large-capacity electric motor with a small-capacity petrol engine that acts as a generator to charge the batteries when they run down...
http://www.motoring.com.au/nissan-to-tone-down-next-juke-100484/

Back