Can the battery be degraded by being left plugged in

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrals

I am in Chicago and a neighbor takes the train to the city leaving his leaf at the railway station. The commute is 2 miles each way. He has a 2012 Leaf with 16K miles and 11 bars. Since summer of last year he plugs in his car (l2 charger) at the station every day even if the battery is fully. I plugged my leafspy and he has 80% SOH. I asked him why he does this and he said to get a free battery replacement. I was baffled. Our temperatures go to mid 80s in summer and I dont see how his battery will degrade to 8 bars in the next 2 years!

Chances are that he has less than 2 years, so I doubt it. My 2012 will be 5 years old this December. IMO, he is just too far north to beat the clock. Once the battery reaches 100% the EVSE will shut down, so its not going to continually charge, or anything like that. Again, Nissan is getting off too easy.

If it is 100% charged (not 80%) and battery is above 30C then he might lose enough within warranty (5 years?).
But if he really wants to torture it then he should drive to desert and have many trips there. Including Level3
charging multiple times during the day.

Technically it is legal and warranty can not be voided that way.

Are there paint shops around? You could ask for "garage" at 110F for few weeks.
Infrared heaters are excellent :)

Also road trip in summer. I'm sure there are some deserts in US.

Back