2016 30 Kwhr battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

I've noticed that charging the battery in the 2016 seems to take MUCH longer than it did in my 2013, that time being devoted to the equalization function. It seems that a lot of time is devoted to that.

Also, I often carry one or 2 of my friends in the back seat. One of them is 6 feet tall, and long in the torso; he tells me that his head brushes the roof in the 2016, where it didn't in the old Leaf. He also says that he has to be more careful entering/exiting so as to not klonk his head. Without having the old one available, I can't take a tape measure to things to verify: did Nissan stack some extra cells beneath the rear seat to get the 6 Kwhr capacity improvement?

Comments?

No, because the 16"s battery will also fit in the 11-15's. Maybe he is still growing? Or maybe he needs a haircut? Or maybe a little less hair jell? Or maybe he was going to treat everyone and he had a fat wallet? Or maybe... It's all in his head? :lol: Anyway, I hope you like your new car. I wish I had more range.

My 2015 spent a lot more time (equalizing) at low charging current when I first got it than my 2011 ever took. I used my 12-ampere EVSE Upgrade unit for the first charge after buying the 2015 and there was at least 1-1/2 hours topping off at very low current. After I upgraded my "temporary" wiring for the AeroVironment EVSE to accommodate the full rate of the 6 kW onboard charger, the equalizing at low current for extended time continued. Eventually, the BMS learned the characteristics of the new battery and the equalize time on each charge dropped. I suspect the equalizing time will drop over time on your 2016.

Gerry

Thanks for the feedback!

Eventually, the BMS learned the characteristics of the new battery and the equalize time on each charge dropped. I suspect the equalizing time will drop over time on your 2016.

I have only about 800 miles on the car so far, have run it down to 35% or so once or twice. Usually use the timer to charge it before I need it, almost never when it's near or above 80%. My practice is to charge based on anticipated usage. With the larger battery, it's my practice to nearly always run the SOC to < 50% before charging, something that would make me nervous with the 2013

Also noticed that the charge will finish much sooner than scheduled, where the 2013 seemed to shut off very near the set time. IE: if it was set to finish at 9:00 AM, it would still be charging at 8:30, but done at 9:00. (don't hate me, I'm retired!)

jdunmyer said:
Also noticed that the charge will finish much sooner than scheduled, where the 2013 seemed to shut off very near the set time. IE: if it was set to finish at 9:00 AM, it would still be charging at 8:30, but done at 9:00. (don't hate me, I'm retired!)

My 2015 seems to complete the charge earlier than the schedule as well (L1 charging). I almost never need over 80% charge, so I set the timer 2 or 3 hours beyond my planned departure time, so the battery isn't sitting for 3 hrs at 100% charge. I presume the system is trying to ensure you have the charge, regardless of battery temp. or equalization time. But it also makes the "estimated time to charge" figures pretty useless as well. Well, maybe not "useless", but it is always an over estimate. If I'm waiting for the charge to get back on my trip, I'm not going to wait for equalization.

Back