Range meassured in time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRoque

Hi all,

This week I drove my second hand Leaf on kids shuttle duties while my wife is away. I charged it on Monday, drove kids to school, back home, and picked them up later. I had plenty of charge but charged it again just in case - this was not needed. On Tuesday, the car was fully charged and I did the same driving routine plus ran some errands. I haven't charged again since Tuesday, still holding to 30% charge on Friday. At the end of the week, I had driven only 65 miles total. While this fits the range we all love to talk about, one thing that came as a surprise is the amount of butt time I did in it: 6.2 hours.

Obviously we can't claim the car will drive 6.2 hours under every condition but for city dwellers, I think that's a much more compelling story than saying "84 miles EPA". It's quite impressive that the car can be driven with the AC on (I'm in Miami) for all of that time in stop/go traffic. The week started with 6.2 miles/kWh but I got lead-footed and finished with an average of 5.8 miles/kWh. Again, a nice surprise I didn't think it was possible in deadlocked traffic. My wife would have burned through at least half her gas tank, another impressive statistic. Sure, she drives an SUV with the efficiency of an M1 Abrams tank but its apparent that is all that idling that's burning the gas.

The next time someone asks me the range of the Leaf, I'm going to say "6 hours of city driving" :)

JR

Hi. Yes on both accounts. Traffic is horrid here. If it's not jammed then there's one of several 15 MPH school zones where - ironically - it actually moves at that speed.

Its just that I hadn't seen that side before in terms of traveled time over several days. Once I got over the fact that >6 hours of my life were spent in a metal box doing little but DJing requests for my kids, I think it is remarkable that the car can do that and do it for <$1.

JR

And do it cleanly. Our school has "no idling" signs in the pick up area, and I get to idle all the time. The way a BEV can smoothly move at low speed is especially helpful in snow, not that you'll experience that in FL.

Back