3rd Party Carwings iOS App + Apple Watch Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albertcua

Hi fellow Leaf owners,

Ever since the Apple Watch has come out, I've been looking for an app that supports the Apple Watch that would allow me to send commands from my Apple Watch. Unfortunately, LeafLink App has been out of development for some time, and the website is still showing iOS 4.2 and a Copyright from 2012. This leads me to believe that the developer has abandoned this project.

I was thinking of creating a 3rd Party iOS App that would communicate with Carwings, while also having Apple Watch support for those owners that would love to be able to quickly glance at the battery status, or send commands through the watch without having to pull out the phone and open the app.

I wanted to gauge the interest of my fellow owners to see how many owners would want such an app, and would be willing to pay a small amount for the app. If so, what features would you like to see available on the Apple Watch?

I'd be interested, and would pay a few dollars. Features I'd want:
1) add a "complication" for the watch face (newly possible in WatchOS 2.0) showing state of charge, and allowing me to get into the app directly
2) a "glance" showing state of charge and whether plugged in
3) ability to start/stop climate control
4) force the thing to update regularly, not just after loading the app (i.e., so the data is current, not having to wait five minutes after loading the app to see current data). I'm not sure if that's possible, it would certainly have to run in the phone app, not on the watch. You'd need a background process that tells the car to send an update every so often, and that may not fit into the categories of allowed background tasks in iOS. Now that I think about it, that may make (1) and (2) above pointless

Hi mishakim,

Thank you for your interest. All the things you mentioned are already in my feature list. In regards to the fourth item, i will have to do some testing to see what is allowed in the background tasks of iOS and also what the effects on battery drain will be, both on the car and your phone.

Please do this!!!! I would spend $20 or more just to be able to control basic Carwings functions like climate control and viewing charge level from my Apple Watch.

We are currently working hard. As soon as we finish the iPhone app, we will put it on the App Store and so that you can play with the features and provide bug reports while we continue working on the Apple Watch support.

I support this and would be willing to spend up to 20 bucks for the initial download. It's sad to see Nissan won't do something about this quickly.

I would absolutely LOVE this. I have been checking often for an app for the Watch. As far as things to include it seems like you already have it nailed.

Look forward to this.

Here are some of the features that we are currently on our list:

Features of iOS:
Statuses:
- Battery Percentage
- Range
- Charging
- Climate

Commands:
- Start/Stop Charging
- Start/Stop Climate Control
- Set Timers

Bonus:
- Refreshes every X mins
- Set timers (similar to an alarm clock) for Climate and Charging

Features of Apple Watch: (All of the features above)
- Glance (Battery Status and Commands)
- Complications (Battery Status)

Anything else you would like to see in the app?

Is it possible to do lock and unlock? When do you think you'll have ready for Apple's approval?

Unfortunately, the services that are provided are limited by CarWings/NissanConnect.

Being that the Leaf Link App owner suddenly rose from the dead and updated their app with 3D Touch support, my app has been put on hold to see if/when they will release Apple Watch support. The leaf community doesn't need 2 different apps that achieve the same function. Only time will tell.

I would absolutely make this app, but I don't trust the Carwings API to work or even exist after 2016. Not worth the time to develop.

I know this is an old thread, but is this still something people are interested in? I have found the Nissan Connect app very hard to use because of how slow it is. If you want to turn on climate control you have to sit and wait while staring at a spinny each step of the way. I have made an iOS app for myself that does some of these features. The communication with the service is still slow, but I made it so you don't have to wait for the app. To turn on climate control you just open the app with no wait, tap on the start climate control and close the app. It will send you a notification after it is done. It can take a while, but you don't have to keep the app open to do it. My goal was to take the pain out of using the service. I have been thinking about making it available to the public if there is interest.

I'm not sure where this will go since Nissan hasn't announced the details on upgrading the Telematics.

albertcua said:
Being that the Leaf Link App owner suddenly rose from the dead and updated their app with 3D Touch support, my app has been put on hold to see if/when they will release Apple Watch support. The leaf community doesn't need 2 different apps that achieve the same function. Only time will tell.
It appears that as of today, March 22, 2017, there has been and remains nothing from Mike Heasley regarding updates to "LEAF Link." This is sad as that was far and away a better app than the Nissan CARWINGS and replacement apps. The LEAF Link app no longer exists in the iTunes App Store in the U.S.

From this I gather you have an opportunity if you are still interested. I don't need AppleWatch support but if you could deliver the rest of the functionality of LEAF Link with a modern User Interface, I'd be a customer. Keys for me were the speed over Nissan's alternatives, and the ease in sending navigation instructions to the car.

SalisburySam said:
albertcua said:
It appears that as of today, March 22, 2017, there has been and remains nothing from Mike Heasley regarding updates to "LEAF Link." This is sad as that was far and away a better app than the Nissan CARWINGS and replacement apps. The LEAF Link app no longer exists in the iTunes App Store in the U.S.

From this I gather you have an opportunity if you are still interested. I don't need AppleWatch support but if you could deliver the rest of the functionality of LEAF Link with a modern User Interface, I'd be a customer. Keys for me were the speed over Nissan's alternatives, and the ease in sending navigation instructions to the car.

+1 on sending nav addresses to the car. Still don't understand why LL was so much faster...

Back