Plugshare.com Questions???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sondy132001

So I added my name on plugshare.com if people needed an emergency charge, I posted it as trickle charge and I am at work all day and Sun-Thurs nights I am using it myself. If it's days when I am gone and my husband is home, then yeah it's possible to use or Friday nights and weekends all good. So this isn't like it's going to help someone in a hurry, it's trickle charge.

Well so far I have had 2 people message me if they could use it and that they are in my neighborhood in a sense, same city or close by. My first reaction is WTF ? you're close to me why aren't you using you're own charger ? I am also next to a Mall with QC's ! So I am thinking these people just want to use my power and not cost them a dime, am I right assuming this ?

Sondy132001 said:
Well so far I have had 2 people message me if they could use it and that they are in my neighborhood in a sense, same city or close by. My first reaction is WTF ? you're close to me why aren't you using you're own charger ? I am also next to a Mall with QC's ! So I am thinking these people just want to use my power and not cost them a dime, am I right assuming this ?
Possibly, although it's possible they are apartment dwellers or something similar and maybe can't charge at home?
As for not using the QCs, do they have a QC in their EV?

Again, my gut reaction is that people are cheap and they are probably wanting to leach, but.. It could be something more complicated.. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
Sondy132001 said:
Possibly, although it's possible they are apartment dwellers or something similar and maybe can't charge at home?
As for not using the QCs, do they have a QC in their EV?

Again, my gut reaction is that people are cheap and they are probably wanting to leach, but.. It could be something more complicated.. ;-)

desiv

The Malls have L2's too, so I am gonna just go with the same gut feeling they are leaching off of me. If you yext me and tell me you're coming from LA or SD and heading somewhere than yes come on over, but if you're my neighbor? go to the mall !

I considered listing my L2 on there, but the idea of having random folks hanging out at my house, coupled with the near vicinity of other stations made me decide against it. I also have a "homemade" EVSE and don't want to hear someone grumble about it being ugly.

I've filtered out all personal EVSEs from the app as most of them have very limited availability. I think it was a good idea when charging wasn't so prevalent (maybe for areas where it still isn't) but it's probably not necessary anymore.

Sondy132001 said:
minispeed said:
Maybe the mall kicked them out for being there everyday LOL!

I wouldn't think that would matter or be legal, long as you pay your fees yes ?

If it's a pay per use EVSE they probably won't care. If it's a free EVSE for customer use they could. With our trespass laws a property owner could do it here easily. I'm not sure about your state though.

minispeed said:
Sondy132001 said:
minispeed said:
Maybe the mall kicked them out for being there everyday LOL!

I wouldn't think that would matter or be legal, long as you pay your fees yes ?

If it's a pay per use EVSE they probably won't care. If it's a free EVSE for customer use they could. With our trespass laws a property owner could do it here easily. I'm not sure about your state though.

It's in a public parking lot and you pay ! Nothing is for free in California ;) you pay for it somewhere down the line !

Our L2 EVSE has been in PlugShare for a few years and we've had at least 15 or so takers, as we are just off the primary route to Big Bear Lake from the rest of SoCal. We don't specifically ask for donations, and are fine not receiving anything for occasional use, but some folks have left small gifts.

Recently we were in Orange County with our LEAF and charged at a Tesla owner's home that is listed in PlugShare. Although there's a mall with QC nearby, their residence was more convenient to our destination (which we walked to) and we didn't want to have to do two QC sessions in a row to get home. Our 2011 battery doesn't need the extra heat. We left them a decent bottle of wine that we had received from another PlugShare user who charged at our home.

I had originally listed my home, but I took it off when the local Nissan dealer's EVSE went live. They are 2 miles from me and free, so there's really no reason for anyone to charge at my house. I was also nervous about strangers hanging around in my neighborhood.

I too think that sharing residential chargers was a good thing back in 2010-2012. Now there are enough public charge points around that it's just unnecessary. Maybe there are areas where this still isn't true, but certainly not in So Cal.

GetOffYourGas said:
I too think that sharing residential chargers was a good thing back in 2010-2012. Now there are enough public charge points around that it's just unnecessary. Maybe there are areas where this still isn't true, but certainly not in So Cal.
I don't think there can be too many places to charge. If I'm visiting a destination (business, park, friend's apartment, etc., etc.) that lacks charging, it's really nice if there's some place nearby that'll allow me to charge during my visit. Two miles each way can be a bit far to walk. Simply stopping at a QC isn't always ideal, as it can still take a while to get a full charge, and there could be a wait.

That said, I understand the reluctance to open up one's garage for a stranger. Our EVSE is outdoors, in our driveway, so that isn't a concern for us when EV-driving strangers show up. Some people have even installed extra RV outlets outside their homes for fellow PlugShare users.

Any recommendations on folding bike I could keep in car to make trips from and to the charging station? Not looking for style, just function that is better than walking.

mjblazin said:
Any recommendations on folding bike I could keep in car to make trips from and to the charging station? Not looking for style, just function that is better than walking.

For style you'll want a Brompton. Some people who have LEAFs like (and have) bikes from Dahon. If you want cheap, the cheapest folding bikes on Amazon start from around $120 with shipping.

Did you ask them? Anyway, I see no purpose to offering an L1 on Plugshare. There's just no point to it, particularly if there commercial charging nearby.

Sondy132001,
Maybe you could post in plugshare "if its travel or emergency charge = cool, if local daily = doesn't work for us sorry" or something along those lines
Stephen
Sondy132001 said:
So I added my name on plugshare.com if people needed an emergency charge, I posted it as trickle charge and I am at work all day and Sun-Thurs nights I am using it myself. If it's days when I am gone and my husband is home, then yeah it's possible to use or Friday nights and weekends all good. So this isn't like it's going to help someone in a hurry, it's trickle charge.

mjblazin,
My new free charge location is a 2 mile walk is working for now. thinking of getting a folding Ebike like the VELO mini
images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn38pLtYuL0
Also looking into folding mountain bikes
http://www.upcycledsavings.com/index.php/UpcycledSavings/pd1524657/XB-310Li_Folding_Electric_Bicycle_-_Lithium_Power_by_X-Treme_Scooters
And also the 36 volt EW475 http://electricbikesformen.com/electric-wheel-model-475/

mjblazin said:

stevon said:
mjblazin,
My new free charge location a 2 mile walk is working for now. thinking of getting a folding Ebike like the VELO mini

I personally like a slightly larger wheel than on that bike - the smaller the wheel, the less stable the bike; also a bumpier ride on rough roads; plus the gear ratios need to be larger with smaller wheels, which can present problems when climbing steep hills.

mwalsh ,
I did a lot of research and decided to buy a fun functional bike with decent components. decided on an affordable electric mountain bike, the CEMoto E-18-B folding bike. Purchased it yesterday on sale at eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/321824983042?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_57.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQNP3MUxHM4
Reviews are scarce but here are some: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/cemoto-electric-folding-mountain-bike.2012/ and http://atvsupershop.com/products/e-mountain-bike
mjblazin said:
Thanks for replies. I had not thought of an e-bike, looking for simplest option.

stevon said:
mwalsh ,
I did a lot of research and decided to buy a fun functional bike with decent components. decided on an affordable electric mountain bike, the CEMoto E-18-B folding bike. Purchased it yesterday on sale at eBay

Let us know what the fit is like, would you (preferably with pics!)?

Latest posts

Back