US Leaf in Europe: CarWings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technl

Hi everyone!

I have a 2013 LEAF SV, which comes from the US. However, as I am now in Europe, I was wondering if I can get CarWings to work here in any way? I know the system is based on 2G communication for initializing contact and data (3G?) for subsequent communication.

There is GSM communication here in Europe, and it is all on compatible frequencies (apart from 4G). Does anybody have experience with this?

Carwings from a USA leaf doesn't work in Europe even if you swap the sim. I don't think anyone has gotten a replacement TCU to try out either.

Thanks for the response, JeremyW! :) I wasn't too hopeful, but I figured if anyone had done it, it would be someone on this forum. :)

How long are you in Europe for -- and more appropriately -- where are you?

I only ask because I'm heading the OTHER way... UK to U.S....

Maybe there's a way to 'swap' nav units?

aminorjourney said:
How long are you in Europe for -- and more appropriately -- where are you?

I only ask because I'm heading the OTHER way... UK to U.S....

Maybe there's a way to 'swap' nav units?

Nikki, is this a permanent move, or a long holiday (maximum 1 year)?

If you are thinking of permanently importing your UK-spec Leaf into the US (with the intent of registering it here), you may want to think hard about that. We have something called the "25 year rule" which basically says that unless your car is specifically certified (via a sticker or plate somewhere on the car) that it meets all US FMVSS regulations for that particular model year car, it may not be imported into the US for most road-legal purposes unless the car is 25 years old or older, or unless the owner can first prove the car does meet US Federal safety standards. http://stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

It doesn't matter that your Leaf is pretty much identical to my Leaf save for the steering wheel placement. Without the FMVSS sticker, it has to be 25 years old or more or you have to go through certification. There are exceptions such as for manufacturer durability testing (we often see prototypes being driven in the deserts of the Southwest during the summer), but for the most part the rule is fairly strictly applied.

How strictly? Just ask the owners of these Land Rover Defenders: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2404372/4x4-fans-look-away-Land-Rovers-imported-U-S-CRUSHED-customs-failing-safety-rules-dont-airbags.html

Used Leafs can be had for as little as $10k or even less here. Even if you are on just an extended holiday, it may be easier to buy one of these and sell it again vs going through the hassles and expense of importation and repatriation.

Back