Anyone else getting 100+ miles out of a charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgoncalves

I responded to the other thread regarding actual range experience because my best out of a single charge to date has been 120.7 miles. I actually have a video of that:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/qGy2NHEw090
[/youtube]

I regularly get around or over 100 miles out of a charge. I didn't see many reporting similar experiences on the Report Your (range) Experience thread.

Wondering if my experience is unusual. If so, is that due to having a 5 month old car, living in the warm climate of Florida, hypermiling?
A combination of the above... Or something else?

My car has experienced 18% battery capacity loss since I got it over 3 years ago and a noticeable loss of efficiency since getting new tires, so 100+ mile trips are pretty much out of the question now.

jgoncalves said:
I responded to the other thread regarding actual range experience because my best out of a single charge to date has been 120.7 miles. I actually have a video of that:
[/youtube]

I regularly get around or over 100 miles out of a charge. I didn't see many reporting similar experiences on the Report Your (range) Experience thread.

Wondering if my experience is unusual. If so, is that due to having a 5 month old car, living in the warm climate of Florida, hypermiling?
I have a 2013 and the best I've done was a couple of weeks ago, 101 miles on a single charge where the weather was nice (no AC or heat needed), the tires were inflated to 40 psi and the top speed was 50 mph driving a very gentle elevation change from one county to another and then back again on country roads. I could have probably squeezed a few more miles but battery capacity was down to 5% so I didn't want to chance a turtle mode before I got home. This was done driving late at night where traffic was of no issue, so entire drive I did not have anyone on my tail for the slower driving I was doing. My average speed was closer to 40 mph for the whole trip.

jgoncalves said:
[/youtube]

2015 owners have been posting pretty good results for their batteries. There's a theory that there may actually be more battery capacity than advertised in the new lizard battery that came out in 2015.

Your hot climate might cause the battery to degrade faster but while it's new and giving you the most the warm air is easier for the car to push out of the way.

Are your drives from one spot and back to the same spot? If not then you could have a slight (since it's FL after all) decent over that 120 miles that helps and maybe a tail wind too. Which model do you have? If you have the 16 in tires then your actually travel distance was less by about 2.5%

I didn't watch the video as work blocks youtube.

Yes, I get >100 miles routinely. I did it in my 2014 at least once (DW drives it so I haven't had a lot of opportunity) and my 2015 at least 5 times. I almost always *could* go over 100, but I end up charging just before then because I want to make *sure* that I get home.

minispeed said:
...Your hot climate might cause the battery to degrade faster but while it's new and giving you the most the warm air is easier for the car to push out of the way...
Another advantage of doing it in Florida is that it is flat, so no elevation changes. When my 2012 LEAF was newer — it is 15% degraded now — my 100+ mile runs involved a cumulative elevation change of 3000+ feet and speeds of up to 60 mph. But my personal best was a 92 mile run over three mountain passes that involved 8000 feet of cumulative elevation change with a net gain of 1300 feet. That was a lot harder than just doing 100 miles:

14359788966_ee1f579c3b_z.jpg

I do have the advantage of high altitude, which means reduced drag, and the disadvantage of generally cooler temperatures, which increases drag somewhat.

I have a 2015S with 13,500 miles on it, my daily drive is 44 miles. Off that drive 34 miles is highway @ 65 mph, with the rest up to 50 mph. I generally arrive at work with 50% available and then charge.

Last week on one particular day I plugged in, but my employee started asking questions and I failed to hit the timer button to charge immediately. Surprise that evening when I get ready to leave :) I have another vehicle I could take so it wasn't a big deal, and there are now 2 DC quick chargers along the route home so I elected to take US1 which is a little slower. On US1 I can average 50-55 mph, and the route is actually 1 mile longer to get home.

Pulled into the driveway with 13% battery available, so working it backwards I should be able to get 100 miles. Perhaps slightly more. I leave for work around 7:15 am and here in FL its already 75-78 degrees in the morning. Car sits on the asphalt ramp during the day, no shade to put it under.

recmob said:
I have a 2015S with 13,500 miles on it, my daily drive is 44 miles. Off that drive 34 miles is highway @ 65 mph, with the rest up to 50 mph. I generally arrive at work with 50% available and then charge.

Last week on one particular day I plugged in, but my employee started asking questions and I failed to hit the timer button to charge immediately. Surprise that evening when I get ready to leave :) I have another vehicle I could take so it wasn't a big deal, and there are now 2 DC quick chargers along the route home so I elected to take US1 which is a little slower. On US1 I can average 50-55 mph, and the route is actually 1 mile longer to get home.

Pulled into the driveway with 13% battery available, so working it backwards I should be able to get 100 miles. Perhaps slightly more. I leave for work around 7:15 am and here in FL its already 75-78 degrees in the morning. Car sits on the asphalt ramp during the day, no shade to put it under.

Well your drive is pretty much identical to mine except I go a little more HWY, 38ish and 40 mph off the highway. I usually show up in the 50s, best I've ever done is 35% used and a few times now at 40% but the most in winter was 80%.

Depends on the winds of course. On a no wind day, I'll arrive with around 53%. Windy day, around 46-48%. Really windy days (20+) I'll usually just take US1, also for a different view once in awhile.

I regularly get 60 miles with 40-48% remaining, so I easily *could* do 100, but no reason to push it when I'm at home at that point to charge for the next day.

I recently broke 100 for the first time, hit 107 miles, at 55-65mph most of the way, ended with 21% remaining. Yes, there was 4000ft of elevation drop to accomplish that feat. :)

I could technically make it to 100 or maybe a little over, but I have not tried it yet. I'm averaging around 4.9-5.0 (or a little better) miles / kWh right now. This area is fairly flat with some "gently-rolling" hills. I tend to avoid the interstate and rarely drive on a road where the speed limit is over 50. Most of my usual commute is 40-45 and on a long winding road with only a few traffic signals. I have a 2014 SV that I bought new in February.

Nfuzzy said:
...I recently broke 100 for the first time, hit 107 miles, at 55-65mph most of the way, ended with 21% remaining. Yes, there was 4000ft of elevation drop to accomplish that feat. :)
Now I want to see you turn it around and do that trip in the other direction! ;)

dgpcolorado said:
Nfuzzy said:
...I recently broke 100 for the first time, hit 107 miles, at 55-65mph most of the way, ended with 21% remaining. Yes, there was 4000ft of elevation drop to accomplish that feat. :)
Now I want to see you turn it around and do that trip in the other direction! ;)

The "100 Mile Club" has a restriction of starting and ending at the same elevation.

Luckily dgp, I didn't need to complete that trip the other way. I posted more details about it in the mountain USA forum.

And yes, I am aware of the restriction Tony, so I refrained from posting in that thread. I think a club for max average speed when breaking 100 would be more fun though :). No restrictions on elevation drop in that club.

Edit: Hmm, this has me wondering where the highest elevation public L2 chargers are. The one I used was at ~9500ft, and I know Leadville has some at 10100 but those are much harder to reach without a Tesla. :)

Nfuzzy said:
Edit: Hmm, this has me wondering where the highest elevation public L2 chargers are. The one I used was at ~9500ft, and I know Leadville has some at 10100 but those are much harder to reach without a Tesla. :)
Mountain Village (base of Telluride ski area) has a public charge station. From there one could go over Lizard Head Pass and then down to Cortez. But that is at about the same elevation, 9545 feet, as the one you used. I wouldn't expect any charge stations at the Eisenhower Tunnel or Vail Pass, but going down I-70 would figure to be fast.

Back