will different tires drastically affect range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutoHaulersinc

Someone posted that different tires affected their range adversely...Im going to 17" ( I know its in my sig, just haven't had time to install)but hadn't really considered a low rolling resistance tire because I didn't think it would be a big difference.
does anyone know the stock 17" factory Leaf tire??

They're Michelin Energy Savers.

I've gone to non-LR tires (and much wider wheels) and I've lost about 15% of my range compared to the OEM 16" Ecopias

I switched from Ecopias to non-LRR Goodyear Eagle L/S all seasons, and have lost very little range - about 0.1 M/KWH. The car steers a little more crisply, the ride is fine, and they aren't noisy, even though they are actually cheap (but US-made) tires.

LeftieBiker said:
I switched from Ecopias to non-LRR Goodyear Eagle L/S all seasons, and have lost very little range - about 0.1 M/KWH. The car steers a little more crisply, the ride is fine, and they aren't noisy, even though they are actually cheap (but US-made) tires.

What is the typical M/KWH you get in nice weather (70+ ambient)? Thanks.

I went to non-LRR tires on the OEM rims (same size tires). I bought Fuzions, which were the cheapest I could find on tire rack. In fair-weather driving, I went from about 4.2 miles/kWh to about 3.8 miles/kWh, which is roughly a 10% loss.

epirali said:
LeftieBiker said:

What is the typical M/KWH you get in nice weather (70+ ambient)? Thanks.

I get 4.3 to 4.6 in good conditions. I got the same with the Ecopias, but I'm assuming my driving technique has improved a little as well. I also have non-LRR snow tires that are hard compound, and in a comparison under similar conditions they too were just 0.1 M/KWH lower in efficiency than the Ecopias...

Yes...even if they are still LRR tires. The fact is, the (stock) Ecopias are better than just about anything else as far as range goes (no wonder Nissan picked them), but that's about it: they don't last. There are a few threads on tires, and I have one my switch to Michelin Defenders (very happy after a couple of years).

I shifted to Yokohoma Avid Ascends, which is a LRR tire. I made the shift because I put on some 17" take-off wheels from a Nissan Juke (got them from the Nissan dealership for $50 each!). Last summer, my efficiency was generally 4.7-5.0 M/kWh with my type of driving (40-50 mph mostly). Right now I'm getting around 4.2-4.5 M/kWh. I'm hoping it will go up some though as the tires break in more - they have probably 400 miles on them now.

The 17" tires I put on are 10 mm wider (215s compared to 205s), and slightly larger circumference - about 3% (so that would make the efficiency reading drop by 3% just due to fewer revolutions per mile, even aside from any actual change in efficiency).

i think these are the factory 17s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-215-50-17-MICHELIN-ENERGY-SAVER-A-S-50R-R17-TIRES-19595-/191423549364?hash=item2c91bb8fb4&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NeilBlanchard said:
I will be looking into Nokian tires - either the WRG3 all-weather, or the eNTYRE 2.0.

http://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-entyre-20/

I have been very happy with the Nokian Hakka R2 (winter tires) - they roll even better than the Ecopias.
I have WRG3's on my 2012 LEAF and have no regrets. No loss of mileage over the ecopias, and much better wet/snow traction too. The included road hazard warranty has also proved a winner as I've had two tires replaced already due to a teenage driver and potholes.

Stanton said:
Yes...even if they are still LRR tires. The fact is, the (stock) Ecopias are better than just about anything else as far as range goes (no wonder Nissan picked them), but that's about it: they don't last. There are a few threads on tires, and I have one my switch to Michelin Defenders (very happy after a couple of years).

I love the Ecopias. If you are a race car driver they will wear early. My wife drives like a grandma 50/50 city highway and I got 31000 miles out of mine. I put another set on. We also like the way the handle in snow.

69800 said:
Stanton said:

I love the Ecopias. If you are a race car driver they will wear early. My wife drives like a grandma 50/50 city highway and I got 31000 miles out of mine. I put another set on. We also like the way the handle in snow.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone claim they like the Ecopias in the snow. I found them to be horrible in the snow. All they did was turn my car into a giant road hazard. This wasn't from aggressive driving either - the slightest hill, and the car would just slide all over the place. I do have to wonder - maybe you had a newer model of the Ecopias on your car? I don't know what the tires were, but my car is a 2012 SV. The stock tires were hands-down the worst I've ever driven on in the snow.

I was looking at the Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 205/55R16 94 H Tire vs the EP422 Plus Ecopias for my '15 leaf. Has anyone had any direct experience with this tire? The Ecopias 422 Plus are about 107$ for 70,000 miles....where the Nokians are 66$ with a 80,000 mile warranty. From a price standpoint the Nokians seem to take the cake, but if they drastically effect the miles per KWH, then it might not make sense to purchase these.

I have about 53K on the stock 422's right now and have a 4.4KWH running average with 95% being highway miles 60-65mph.

My question is this:
1) Does anyone have any "real world" range numbers on these tires other than anecdotal experience
2) Has anyone found any rolling resistance numbers on either tires, all I find is salesman speak such as "low" and "fuel saving" which has little to no value to me
3) Anyone experience any premature or accelerated wear or other bad detractors such as road noise that would be worth consideration

Thanks!

I know this is 11 months old, but just to help out :
I run mine to 69k on the Entyre 1.0.
why do you really looking for theoretical number LRR ??? I see improve of my driving from 4.2 to 4.5 after change the tires to the Nokian.
Premature wear ? accelerate wear ? road noise ? IMO, none of those bother me, it is a fricking Leaf, buddy ?! we drive consistently in freeway, and driff from stop sign to traffic light, what else there is !

Look at your data, I think you did much better than mine on the EP422, mine is totally bald at 39k and even the Nissan rep. are impress that is last -that- long.

All of mine cars ( EV or ICE) are on Nokian tires now.

Back