Is my Battery degrading normal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerooverdraft

2015 Leaf s, purchased on 11/22/14 with 132miles on the odometer, always parked in a garage, have only charged to 100% 3 times, have never used DCQC, 1570miles on the odometer, from 2/12/15 till
4/3/15 the following reads stays the same, (% Capacity-->97.17%), (HX--> 105.12%), (64.38 AHr). Then all readings began to change, on 4/26/15, only 3 weeks later, (% Capacity 95.42%), (HX 97.38%), (63.22 AHr). On average I only charge twice a week using L2. Prior to march I used 30amp L2 and ever since I have used 20amp L2. I live in Connecticut.

I wouldn't worry about it much. I think the most important number is your total gids at 100% charge. My 2015 S is a year old now and has 10,500 miles on it and I'm getting 285 Gids on a full charge (compared to 292 when new). Odds are that most of your numbers dropped due to the temperature getting warmer. The 2015 batteries are pretty robust, most people are reporting really good numbers on their cars. My current rate of decline is about 2% per year/10K miles. So if at 100K miles, I have a 20% drop, that's much much better than early leafs. The two things that are most bad for your battery are time and heat. A few things to check (1) your manufacture date, which is on the inside of your driver's door. This will tell you how old the pack is, and how long it sat on the dealer lot before you bought it. (2) Try to avoid leaving it at 100% for long periods of time, especially when its in the sun. Charge it up in the morning just before you leave try to avoid prolonged exposure to temps. My wife plugs in at work after lunch, so that when its done charging, she's just about ready to take off and head home. (3) In my year of running battery tests I've seen that the pack like to be run down to 30% or so and charged up. Full cycles tend to be better for it IMO. (4) Try not to top off. Don't plug in when it is at 70% or higher unless you really have to.

With your low millage the numbers probably won't be as accurate. I know there are many people here that know way more about batteries than I do but the numbers are a lot of times educated guesses by how the pack behaves to charge and discharge cycles. The less you exercise it the less data it has to guess.

I drive a lot, 90 miles round trip on my work days and the wife uses it when I'm off weekdays for 55 miles. On track to do 25K miles a year, maybe less since she's a teacher and off summers. I got it in July, right off the truck pretty much so it never sat and I still have 292 gids, same as my first leaf spy reading and still have 64.38 AHr same as the first time I checked that at about 2 months old.

64.38 seams to be the top end of all 2015s, at first I thought it might be a software limit but leaf spy on my cousins 14 says 284 gids 65.77 AHr.

I use a 20a L2 and L1 at work and have done 66 QC and 681 L1/L2s.

Back