CARWINGS Follow on???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUXMAN

I just got my new 2015 SL (had a '13 for 2 yr lease).

On the window sticker, Nissan says AT&T will kill the 2G network that CARWINGS uses on 31 Dec 2016. I use Carwings Daily. Has anyone heard what Nissan is planning to do to keep this going? Or are all of us SOL?

:?:

I think it's safe to say we won't be 'SOL'. This has been discussed in (many) threads before, but with a background in the telecom industry, I think one of two scenarios will happen:
1) Nissan can 'sell' us a new (probably LTE) modem, in which case they 'give' us the service (like they basically do now)
2) Nissan can 'give' us a new modem and 'rent' us the service (much like we do with our cell phones now)

Of course, there can be combinations of the two, but it all depends on whether they want a CAPEX or OPEX model. The modems should be fairly inexpensive, but they always intended to charge for CW service (they just never did).

Stanton,

Would a Modem like that be hard to swap out or just swap out under the dash?
I dont mind paying for the service, and I knew buying my second leaf that it was coming but I would like to see the CARWINGS continue but no words from Nissan on the subject.

I see you are in Plano. Down to 9 bars with only 45k miles? I still had 12 at 2 yrs and 30k. Do you attribute the loss to the TX heat or jut time on a 2011?

LUXMAN said:
Stanton,

Would a Modem like that be hard to swap out or just swap out under the dash?
I dont mind paying for the service, and I knew buying my second leaf that it was coming but I would like to see the CARWINGS continue but no words from Nissan on the subject.

I see you are in Plano. Down to 9 bars with only 45k miles? I still had 12 at 2 yrs and 30k. Do you attribute the loss to the TX heat or jut time on a 2011?

The TCU (where the modem is at) is designed to swap out the modem, although I assume it would have to be done by the dealer (probably some re-programming/re-initializing).
Yes: heat is largely responsible for battery degradation in places like Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. However, the new "lizard" battery (which I'll get as a replacement) should perform better in the heat.

Back