Onboard Readout Discrepancy with Rapid Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloradoren

I got my Leaf about a month ago and am still playing around with it, trying to figure out the systems. Part of this process has involved using the rapid charger (chademo) at the local Nissan dealer which I've done twice.

In both cases I noticed a sizable discrepancy in the estimated SOC when I plugged in. Today I was at 1 bar, 9 miles on the GOM and when I plugged in, the charger indicated I was at 23%. The first time was similar: 1 bar, 12 miles GOM, 23% on the charger interface. I was under the impression that each bar should be ~7%.

So...is this normal? Why is my car showing around 7% while the charger is showing 23%? Does this have to do with some emergency capacity of a couple bars that my car isn't telling me about that the charger sees?

coloradoren said:
So which reading is correct when I pull into the rapid charge port, the 7% the car is showing or the 23% the charger is showing?
The car's reading is correct...
(Or closer to it.. The best reading is obtained using an ODB2 adapter and something like Leaf Spy Pro)

desiv

coloradoren said:
So...is this normal? Why is my car showing around 7% while the charger is showing 23%? Does this have to do with some emergency capacity of a couple bars that my car isn't telling me about that the charger sees?
The Quick Charger reports what the car tells it, so the car is indicating to the quick charger that 100% will come sooner than in reality. This could be due to a number of things, but most likely are battery degradation, or starting a quick charge under 50% SOC (will only go to 80% SOC).

DarkStar said:
The Quick Charger reports what the car tells it, so the car is indicating to the quick charger that 100% will come sooner than in reality. This could be due to a number of things, but most likely are battery degradation, or starting a quick charge under 50% SOC (will only go to 80% SOC).

I thought that was only on the older models?

EDIT: Just noticed he's driving a 2012.

desiv said:
coloradoren said:
So which reading is correct when I pull into the rapid charge port, the 7% the car is showing or the 23% the charger is showing?
The car's reading is correct...
(Or closer to it.. The best reading is obtained using an ODB2 adapter and something like Leaf Spy Pro)

desiv

actually, we need to clarify that your car shows "usable" capacity. want proof? simply drive until you get to 0% left and see how far you can go. if you can go anywhere, there is capacity in the battery that is not being displayed and there is more but not likely as much as the charger is saying...

Back