Charging in Parking Deck off normal 120v outlet sufficient?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allergyking

Hello, I am selling my 2014 Toyota Tundra truck b/c of the terrible gas milage ( <13mpg) and it being too big for my parking deck at work. I am going to lease a 2015 Leaf SL by weeks end hopefully.

The garage at my house is currently under construction to be completed 15 DEC 2014. I have no place to charge at home. My only place to charge will be at work. I have asked building management and they have given me the ok to park in deck and plug into a 120v outlet to charge.

My question is will the 8-9 hours I am at work 5 days week get me enough charge? My commute is less than 16 miles round trip.

Thanks!!! Fired up to never go to a gas station again.

you might have some problems if you drive much on the weekend, but 8 hr of L1 should give you around 30-40 mi of range (depending upon temps, speeds, rain, etc). Make sure the plug dedicated (nothing else drawing) or maybe even 20 amp circuit instead of 15 amps.

Reddy said:
you might have some problems if you drive much on the weekend, but 8 hr of L1 should give you around 30-40 mi of range (depending upon temps, speeds, rain, etc). Make sure the plug dedicated (nothing else drawing) or maybe even 20 amp circuit instead of 15 amps.
Thank you! Was wondering what L1 charging is, helpful. Beggars can't be choosers, I just have access to the metal conduit box with quad receptacles. Can put a volt meter on it to measure output. Good news is the building is getting 2 dedicated charging stations in NOV. Only 2! I read Coke down the street has 50 and is putting in 25 more.

All the best,

Since it is under construction.... ask for a 240v 40 amp supply. Or even 240v 20 amp.
Yes 120v will marginally get you by but you may as well not be on edge every day.

If they are adding charging stations.... ask for a couple in the parking deck. Even put them on the top level.

smkettner said:
Since it is under construction.... ask for a 240v 40 amp supply. Or even 240v 20 amp.
Yes 120v will marginally get you by but you may as well not be on edge every day.
100% on the add at garage, was even thinking about having the elec run conduit sleeve for the future. Planning on doing 1 240v 40 amp for my bay on wall that you pull into, should I rough one in for the wife's? She is anti elec car now, until she drives mine later this week!!!

Welcome to the Leaf! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Because you are currently constructing the garage I would have the garage wired for 1-2 L2 EVSE's (for the future). However, I wouldnt buy a L2 EVSE just yet.

My Daily RT commute is 30-40 miles and I have used a 120v 15A outlet since I leased the Leaf 18 months ago. Sure, I have had to 'think' a few times about what level of charge I want to have by tomorrow and set the proper timer/setting in the Leaf... but It was all within my IQ and planning skills and I am sure its within yours.

For a 16 mile commute a L2 EVSE is more of a WANT than a NEED in my opinion. In my experience 120v works pretty well.

CMYK4Life said:
Welcome to the Leaf! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Because you are currently constructing the garage I would have the garage wired for 1-2 L2 EVSE's (for the future). However, I wouldnt buy a L2 EVSE just yet.

My Daily RT commute is 30-40 miles and I have used a 120v 15A outlet since I leased the Leaf 18 months ago. Sure, I have had to 'think' a few times about what level of charge I want to have by tomorrow and set the proper timer/setting in the Leaf... but It was all within my IQ and planning skills and I am sure its within yours.

For a 16 mile commute a L2 EVSE is more of a WANT than a NEED in my opinion. In my experience 120v works pretty well.
Thanks!

To OP. Where are you located? Some area have buyers/leasee get the EZ-Charge card? With that card you get free 30 minutes at DCQC and 1 hour at L2. I find that I use the card more than I tought. I do not keep the cars fully charged at home and if extra driving is required I stop 10-15 minutes to a DCQC station.

camasleaf said:
To OP. Where are you located? Some area have buyers/leasee get the EZ-Charge card? With that card you get free 30 minutes at DCQC and 1 hour at L2. I find that I use the card more than I tought. I do not keep the cars fully charged at home and if extra driving is required I stop 10-15 minutes to a DCQC station.
Thanks, Metro Atlanta, GA. Am planning on asking my sales rep about a charging "credit card" in the lease deal.

One additional question / clarification, my salesman was adamant about not using an extension cord and said the Leaf would know if I did. Does that apply to L1 charging if I get a big enough gauge cord? If I can use an extension cord with L1, then I can plug into my house at front door and run 50ish foot drop cord to driveway and charge all night long???

Thanks!

You can certainly use an extension cord - I've done it many times with my 2015 Leaf. You need to buy yourself a high quality cord made with at least 12 gauge conductors, and maybe even 10 gauge if you're going to use it every day. It also needs a heavy duty jacket to withstand being walked on, being dragged across abrasive surfaces, being left in the sun, and to resist breakdown due to fluids that might drip onto it from time to time from ICE cars. I believe SOOW would be the correct grade of cable. If you're handy, you can buy the cable and connectors from an electrical supply store (not Home Depot!!) and build it yourself. If not, have an electrician build one for you. Expect to pay at least $50, and probably $100 or more (if you need to have it built for you) for a quality 50' cord.

It may sound expensive for an extension cord, but you're not powering a little weed wacker, here...you're drawing 12amps continuously while charging. Remember, safety first!

Enjoy your Leaf!

At Work, when they put in the L2's Suggest they put them so the two J1772 can reach 4 spaces. So two can charge in the AM, and two in the PM with out having to move the cars.

Some EV'ers Do 4 cars per J1772 per Day in 3-4 hour shifts. With Noon Time Car movements.

Atlantic Station has a Bunch of L2 and 1 or 2 L3 (soon to be running) in the parking deck (ChargePoint)

Also a Free L3 and 4 L2's @ Foundry Park (at State St.) I think those are still free, but there tends to be line

http://www.plugshare.com/?location=4403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flyonpa said:
At Work, when they put in the L2's Suggest they put them so the two J1772 can reach 4 spaces. So two can charge in the AM, and two in the PM with out having to move the cars.

Some EV'ers Do 4 cars per J1772 per Day in 3-4 hour shifts. With Noon Time Car movements.

Atlantic Station has a Bunch of L2 and 1 or 2 L3 (soon to be running) in the parking deck (ChargePoint)

Also a Free L3 and 4 L2's @ Foundry Park (at State St.) I think those are still free, but there tends to be line

http://www.plugshare.com/?location=4403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks! I work in Colony Square at 14th and Peachtree. Will forward this on to building management.

Since you're near Atlanta, and it is the #1 Leaf sales area in the nation, you'd better plan on lots of additional EVs at your company. You should spend some time reading threads here about workplace charging. It's conceivable that you may have 10, 20 or even more EVs all wanting the same charging stations.

allergyking said:
One additional question / clarification, my salesman was adamant about not using an extension cord and said the Leaf would know if I did. Does that apply to L1 charging if I get a big enough gauge cord? If I can use an extension cord with L1, then I can plug into my house at front door and run 50ish foot drop cord to driveway and charge all night long???

Thanks!

I have used extension cords several times without issue but there is a limit. make sure your run is not excessive and the wire is heavy enough to minimize voltage drop. there was one time when I had to swap out a lighter 100 ft cord for a 50 and 25 ft cord.

as far as the garage situation. Is there a reason why you cant plug into 120 volts at home?

the reason I ask is because I have seen this several times in both me and others. The LEAF is purchased for a short commute like yours but quickly becomes the only car you want to drive. So take your expected driving and double it and that is only just as a start

To expand on the above, the car's portable EVSE will "know" if the ground circuit is missing or the outlet is mis-wired. It will also know, starting with the 2013, IIRC, if its plug is too hot from a poor connection. Beyond that, you have to think for it. You don't *absolutely* need a dedicated 15 amp circuit, but it shouldn't have more than a couple of lights on it, and I'd swap the bulbs for LEDs if that's the case. No other appliances at all.

Back