62 miles range after DC charged?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilimats

I just bought my 2011 used nissan leaf today, i had to stop at two DC quick chargers to get back home, one charger let me specify the capacity i wanted to reach so i chose 90% to not damage the battery and got 60 miles on the cluster when completed, on the second one i had no choice and it stopped charging at 63 miles

I calculated our last trip from the second DC charger to home, we started with 63 miles estimated range and were down to 5miles estimated range after a 44 miles commute with barely any ascension.

Is this range to be expected for a 2011 leaf with 45k miles ? i am a little set back by this :roll:

BTW we see 12 capacity bar beside the estimated range bars on the far right, i heard they replace the warranty only when it goes below 9 bars? why is the range so low with a maxed out capacity bars ?

The range displayed is a guesstimate based on recent driving and has no real meaning for future driving. The actual range is based on speed and incline or decline. How fast were you driving on that 44 mile commute? Also the bars to look at are the small ones at the very very right not the long ones.

kilimats said:
BTW we see 12 capacity bar beside the estimated range bars on the far right, i heard they replace the warranty only when it goes below 9 bars? why is the range so low with a maxed out capacity bars ?
The battery management system can be reset. When that happens, it can take some time (days, weeks or months) to re-learn the actual capacity of the battery. Long ago I surmised that some unscrupulous sellers would use this approach to sell LEAFs with severely-degraded batteries. Of course I have no way to know if that is what happened in your case. I would recommend that you get a LeafSpy to be able to see available capacity.

Also note that the battery can be 16% or more degraded and still not lose any capacity bars. That is the state of our MY2011 LEAF right now.

Finally, if you stop a quick charge at some value, like 90%, the BMS often reports a lower value when you get in the car, like 80%. This can be seen using LeafSpy.

If you live in the U.S. and will be putting low mileage on your LEAF, you may be able to get the battery replaced before the warranty expires.

RegGuheert said:
The battery management system can be reset. When that happens, it can take some time (days, weeks or months) to re-learn the actual capacity of the battery. Long ago I surmised that some unscrupulous sellers would use this approach to sell LEAFs with severely-degraded batteries. Of course I have no way to know if that is what happened in your case. I would recommend that you get a LeafSpy to be able to see available capacity.

Not to suggest that getting LeafSpy isn't a good idea anyway, but the capacity that it reads out comes from the Battery Management System or BMS, and will also show an incorrect estimate of capacity right after a reset.

re: kilimats, can you please update your profile to give at least some hint as to your location?

WetEV said:
Not to suggest that getting LeafSpy isn't a good idea anyway, but the capacity that it reads out comes from the Battery Management System or BMS, and will also show an incorrect estimate of capacity right after a reset.
Right. The point is that you can see what it is reading and whether it is stable or dropping rapidly.

added location sorry,

Left the car plugged all night to a level 2 charger, next morning i had 83 miles range, feels better :)

We drove on the highway mostly flat yesterday in ECO so i guess that helped boost the range estimate after all the harsh driving the car had at the dealer.

I stil saw 12 bars of capacity this morning too, didnt fade gladly, how long does it take for the capacity to recalculate after the reset is done?

kilimats said:
Left the car plugged all night to a level 2 charger, next morning i had 83 miles range, feels better :)
Ok... but it's still a guess-o-meter and apparently esp. bad on pre-13 Leafs.

I've had my GOM read 80 miles and go up to 88 miles AFTER driving 8 miles. Or, I've had my GOM drop by 40 miles after going 10 because I had to go up uphill at highway speeds (highway 17 south towards Santa Cruz).

Speed is the killer most likely. I didn't see an answer for how fast you were going on the highway. 40 miles at 80mph is totally different than 40miles at 65mph. Same is true of gas cars, but people rarely pay attention. Same thing has been going on in the Prius forums for years. Because the car gives you the details so in your face, people think something is wrong when they go 80mph and get 45mpg. Surely that can't be true?!?!!? Slow down to 65mph and it leaps up again like normal. Wind becomes a huge factor at those speeds.

kilimats said:
added location sorry,

We drove on the highway mostly flat yesterday in ECO so i guess that helped boost the range estimate after all the harsh driving the car had at the dealer.

I stil saw 12 bars of capacity this morning too, didnt fade gladly, how long does it take for the capacity to recalculate after the reset is done?
Based on this post, I'll guess that no reset was done (unless the dealer just did the P3227 firmware update on the car before selling it). Your GOM is reading about where mine does. Likely you are about 15% down. The first capacity bars drops after 15% according to Nissan, but experience here puts it at about 16.5% per LeafSpy. Each additional bar is only worth 6.25%.

You may make it through this winter before the first capacity bar drops.

How many miles are on your LEAF?

RegGuheert said:
kilimats said:
added location sorry,

Based on this post, I'll guess that no reset was done (unless the dealer just did the P3227 firmware update on the car before selling it). Your GOM is reading about where mine does. Likely you are about 15% down. The first capacity bars drops after 15% according to Nissan, but experience here puts it at about 16.5% per LeafSpy. Each additional bar is only worth 6.25%.

You may make it through this winter before the first capacity bar drops.

How many miles are on your LEAF?

thanks 46k right now

Back