Battery only charged to 92.4%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agunther

Still playing around with my Leaf Spy app. After my car charged to "100%" and stopped, I ran Leaf Spy and saw that the State of Charge only goes to 92.4% and Gids to 73.7%. Why won't it charge higher? I mean, it is the leaf itself that reports 92.4% through CAN network.
I assume Gids is wrt a new battery?

Screenshot_2014-08-28-17-34-29_zps4ea0d5dc.png

90-95% on a 100% charge is pretty common. I see 91s, 92s and 93s all the time.

My last full charge stopped at 92.7% with a GIDs of 74.7% (Ahr 50.85).

The 73.7% GIDs suggests your battery had degraded to a point where you are probably down to 10 capacity bars showing, or you are really close to losing bar 11, just like my battery is.

Weatherman said:
90-95% on a 100% charge is pretty common. I see 91s, 92s and 93s all the time.

My last full charge stopped at 92.7% with a GIDs of 74.7% (Ahr 50.85).

The 73.7% GIDs suggests your battery had degraded to a point where you are probably down to 10 capacity bars showing, or you are really close to losing bar 11, just like my battery is.

Good guess, I have 10 bars :)

agunther said:
After my car charged to "100%" and stopped, I ran Leaf Spy and saw that the State of Charge only goes to 92.4% and Gids to 73.7%. Why won't it charge higher?
I often see around 92% when I charge to 100%. Interestingly, if I drive 50 miles and right away charge to 100% again I get 95% SOC.

Stoaty said:
agunther said:
After my car charged to "100%" and stopped, I ran Leaf Spy and saw that the State of Charge only goes to 92.4% and Gids to 73.7%. Why won't it charge higher?
I often see around 92% when I charge to 100%. Interestingly, if I drive 50 miles and right away charge to 100% again I get 95% SOC.

Hm. I was trickle charging at work and it was a warm day as you can see on the temp scale.

Seems to be fairly "normal" - at least my LEAF does something similar, too, at least the last few 100% charges I've noticed.

100% charge this morning numbers:

SOC: 91.2%
Ah: 52.55
Hx: 62.67
GID: 214
V: 393.0

A couple weeks ago, had these numbers:
SOC: 90.2%
Ah: 52.97
Hx: 63.75
GID: 213

drees said:
Seems to be fairly "normal" - at least my LEAF does something similar, too, at least the last few 100% charges I've noticed.

100% charge this morning numbers:

SOC: 91.2%
Ah: 52.55
Hx: 62.67
GID: 214

A couple weeks ago, had these numbers:
SOC: 90.2%
Ah: 52.97
Hx: 63.75
GID: 213

Hm. Interesting. Your Ah is slightly higher but your Hx is much lower than mine, yet my GID maxes out at around 208. Seems like Hx is quite meaningless.

agunther said:
Hm. Interesting. Your Ah is slightly higher but your Hx is much lower than mine, yet my GID maxes out at around 208. Seems like Hx is quite meaningless.
Do you have the P3227 update? What's your Ah and Hx?

drees said:
agunther said:

Another one asking for this. What is it with the P3227 that makes it such a must have?
I posted my numbers in this thread

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17703

agunther said:
drees said:

Another one asking for this. What is it with the P3227 that makes it such a must have?
I posted my numbers in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17703
(For others it's 50.45 Ah / 71.31 Hx)

Nissan didn't really tell us everything that the P3227 update did, aside from making the battery capacity bars more accurate. The update is also supposed to update the firmware on the on-board-charger making it work better with some L2 charging stations.

It also seemed to have other side effects, like lowering the Hx value significantly. Which unfortunately also seems to cause the car to limit regenerative braking more.

Given your low Ah and high Hx value, it seems that you probably don't have the P3227 update. As to whether or not you should get the update applied? On one hand, the enhanced compatibility with L2 charging stations can't hurt. On the other hand, the reduction in regen is annoying.

In truth, this makes me want to stick with my current software. I have not yet encountered problems with any L2 station and I have Leaf Spy for accurately measuring the distance to empty, so I am thinking thanks but no thanks.
The only other reason to update would be if I drop capacity bars faster and can be entitled for an upgrade sooner with the software fix, but that might a bit of a stretch.

Back