LeafSpy saved my trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctom987

Forgot to charge up last night. Not doing that again.

A->B was 15 miles, B-C was 13 miles. I had 25 miles on the GOM when I left.
Unfortunately, I was a bit in a hurry, and had to take the freeway. I got to B with 11mi left on GOM.

Easy part was over. With no nearby charging stations, and the closest L3 ~1mi from my destination, I didn't have many options. I set off on surface streets. I kept it at 30MPH (35 - 45 limits), and after 2 miles, GOM still said 11mi. Another 2 miles in, GOM said 12 miles. At this point, I'm rather confident I can make it. I'm about 9 miles away, and GOM as 12mi.

Less than 1 mile later, GOM now says "---". I figured, no problem, I usually use the battery % to gauge range. It was 7%. Not long after, I get the 2nd LBW, and now my battery says "---". Great. Now I have no idea how far I can drive. I opened up LeafSpy, and it said SOC was 7.8%. More than enough to get to there.

I got to work at 4.5% SOC. I'm sure literally feet from turtle. Check chargepoint for open stations, and I found one (very rare at that time of day). I get there, and there's a Volt, not plugged in :evil: So I start looking around, and nothing else is open. I was heading back to my building's parking lot, when I see someone pull out of a charge station. Made it just in time. Pulled in next to that Volt, and noticed the charger was broken :( Luckily, the spot I pulled into had a working one.

When I left point B, I reset my console efficiency meter. I got to point C with 9.1mi/kWh. Carwings indicates 110mi with 1.5h left for charging.

When LeafSpy read 7.8%, how many Gids were left, if you noticed?

If I understand it right, you're safe from turtle over 10 Gids if your're not on the highway, and there's 12.9 Gids in a kWh, so ballpark 3 miles for every 10 Gids over that and you'll have a good idea what range you've got left.

Haven't bought the paid versions yet, so no idea on GIDs :/
I can't imagine it being much over 10. If turtle is at 10, and I had to guess, I'd say 10.1 :p

Does Leafspy work on an S model? If so, Is there really much point of Carwings except to remotely turn on heat & AC?
I hear even that can be unreliable.
Thanks,
Dean

morrisdw said:
Does Leafspy work on an S model? If so, Is there really much point of Carwings except to remotely turn on heat & AC?
I hear even that can be unreliable.
I don't see any reason why I wouldn't work on the S trim.

As for Carwings, there is a "point" beyond the above two. You can at least remotely monitor your charging status (charging, not charging, plugged in or not, etc., GOM value, how many fuel bars it's at out of 12), and you'll get notifications when charging has stopped (due to it hitting 80%/100%, being unplugged, power cut, etc.)

You can also set the climate control timer, remotely begin charging (I use it for the trick at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=336053#p336053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You can also view your stats on the Carwings web site such as trip lengths, # of trips, distance driven, kWH consumed, etc.

A bit more at http://www.nissanusa.com/innovations/carwings.article.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

BTW, '14+ Leafs don't have the 80% charge option at all.

As for unreliable, it seems it's mainly unreliable if there's weak AT&T reception. It's often unreliable if my car is parked in the 3rd level of the underground parking @ my work.

Back