How efficient/accurate is the range predicting feature?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdsm

Hi,

I am considering buying a Nissan Leaf, and have been doing a fair bit of research into the car. I had a question from people who own one about the range calculator.

Am I right in assuming that I can plug a destination into the program and it will calculate whether I can successfully reach my destination? If so, does it take into account the typography of the road? Can it account for/predict energy gained from the downhills on a specific route?

Also, if this is all correct, can you chose a start and finish destination. Lets say I wanted to see if I could get from London to Paris on one charge and picked a lot of downhill routes, can the in car computer predict all this for me?

I hope that all makes sense and sorry for the detailed and specific questions.

All the best,

H

The Leaf is NOT accurate. You can't trust it for something like this.

There are too many variables. For example, driving highway will drain the battery more than back roads. The car doesn't know which route you will use. Also, Nissan tries to protect you from yourself, so after 10 miles of driving, it tells you that you've lost something like 20 miles of range. But the last 10 miles of range can take you something like 20 miles. But please don't rely on this. It's just an example of what it feels like.

There's also driving style, temperature, battery wear-out, whether you will use heat or A/C, and other effects that make it really hard for any algorithm to know true range.

But you can use this accurate table to give you a very good idea of range available (thanks, Tony!):
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, you will probably get a good sense of your true range available after a few weeks of owning the car.

Bob

hdsm said:
...does it take into account the typography of the road? Can it account for/predict energy gained from the downhills on a specific route?

Nissan has talked about this, but so far it does not have knowledge of terrain. But even if it did, it still would not have knowledge of winds, and even if it did, it would not have knowledge of local conditions (rain, snow accumulation). And if it somehow did, it still would not know HOW you intended to drive.

So, until we get the Kreskin(tm) version, I think the range estimator is a fool's game, now matter how many bells and whistles are glommed onto it. There is no substitute for the computer in the left seat. Learn how to determine how many kilowatt-hours you have at your disposal (Nissan chooses not to reveal the only real information of consequence). And then apply your knowledge of the trip.

It all seems a bit scary at first, but really it doesn't take long to get a good feel for it. You'll be out-performing the Guess-o-meter in no time! :)

Nubo said:
hdsm said:
...does it take into account the typography of the road? Can it account for/predict energy gained from the downhills on a specific route?

Nissan has talked about this, but so far it does not have knowledge of terrain. But even if it did, it still would not have knowledge of winds, and even if it did, it would not have knowledge of local conditions (rain, snow accumulation). And if it somehow did, it still would not know HOW you intended to drive.

So, until we get the Kreskin(tm) version, I think the range estimator is a fool's game, now matter how many bells and whistles are glommed onto it. There is no substitute for the computer in the left seat. Learn how to determine how many kilowatt-hours you have at your disposal (Nissan chooses not to reveal the only real information of consequence). And then apply your knowledge of the trip.

It all seems a bit scary at first, but really it doesn't take long to get a good feel for it. You'll be out-performing the Guess-o-meter in no time! :)
Or the OP could try http://evtripplanner.com/planner/2-3/?id=35nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both of which do take account of terrain and speed, and EV Trip Planner also shows how moderate (+- 5 mph) winds affect range. Be sure that you've selected the LEAF instead of another car. Agreed that the LEAF's GOM is basically useless as a real time indicator of range.

Back