2014 Range test after VLBW

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrowncods

Hit LBW at 18% dash SOC. Then received VLBW at 9% dash SOC. When the dash SOC went from 6% to 5% the display went to dashes (---).

So from VLBW (9%) to Turtle I went 15.0 miles averaging 25-30 mph. At Turtle the power was limited to 1 power dot to the right of the center dot. I could still get up to 30 mph but it took more "pushing the peddle".
At 0.4 miles after Turtle it went down to just the center dot. Power gradually decreased after this point even with it floored. At 0.7 miles I was dead (not one inch more). I let it sit for an hour and it still would not allow me to start it. I could get the dash to power up by pushing the power (start) button, and I could get it into N, but no D or R.

I was 5 feet from my garage door! :roll:

Thanks for the data :)

Seems like the %SOC as displayed in the '14 models is a pretty accurate indicator of how much available energy remains. ("Available" meaning what the car is allowed to use, not the total in the pack.)

Almost the same results from my 2013 SL . How many KW from dead to 100% did your battery recharge to and charge time (assume L2 around 6KWH) ? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was about to start a topic on this. Here is some more data:

At VLB the No. of Gids left is 24 and the dash shows 9 miles left. This is exactly the same for 2013, where VLBW is 24 and LBW is at 49 Gids.

My question is how is it feasible to drive 9 miles with only 24 Gids left. Since typically turtle shows up at 3 Gids or so, that actually leaves only around 20 usable Gids and with that I cannot imagine driving more than 5 miles at 45 mph.

So I am guessing the 16 miles from LBW and 9 miles from VLB is a bit too optimistic.

On my MY2013 SL I get the following:
LBW = 49 gids
VLBW = 24 gids
Turtle = below 3 volts on the lowest cell-pair

Also I discovered there is a lot of capacity hidden on the bottom. Instead of multiple gids per mile, I got multiple miles per gid.

Since the Leaf will shut down when the lowest voltage reaches 3v, the slower you drive on the bottom the longer you can go. At 24 gids you can "floor it" and be dead within a very short distance. Or you can keep it at a very low draw and go lots of miles. IMHO if you find yourself with limited gids with miles to go you must slow down and draw as little as possible to get home. Also avoid steep inclines as this will also cause a large draw on the battery.

ElectricEddy said:
Almost the same results from my 2013 SL . How many KW from dead to 100% did your battery recharge to and charge time (assume L2 around 6KWH) ? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only have L1 and had to use it before I could get it to 100%.

This is the same of every LEAF produced, 2011-2015, worldwide.

.. except that at 24 GIDs and VLBW, the GOM never said 9 miles in the earlier versions. In 2014 the GOM is generally better overall and somehow thinks that you can go 9 miles in 20 Gids. That is a tall order.

mkjayakumar said:
This is the same of every LEAF produced, 2011-2015, worldwide.

.. except that at 24 GIDs and VLBW, the GOM never said 9 miles in the earlier versions. In 2014 the GOM is generally better overall and somehow thinks that you can go 9 miles in 20 Gids. That is a tall order.

I don't play silly GOM games... sorry. I never care what the GOM says; I care about getting home when the electrons are low.

Back