avg 4.4 miles per Kw==BUT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epic

My overall average since I leased car 18,000 miles ago is 4.4 miles per Kw.Per the car readout.My question is,is that the batterie has approx. 20 Kw usable is this correct?
I have never been able to get 88 miles on a charge.65 is about the max.The numbers do not add up??

Others have stated usable capacity of 21 to 21.5 kWh.
But that is with a brand new 2011 or 2012 battery and it is from 100% charged to 284 GIDS all the way down to Turtle around 4 GIDS.
You will have no status of charge bars and --- on the Guess-O-Meter (aka DTE).
Have you done that?
I haven't. I've never been lower than Low Battery Warning.

epic said:
My overall average since I leased car 18,000 miles ago is 4.4 miles per Kw.Per the car readout.My question is,is that the battery has approx. 20 Kw usable is this correct?
I have never been able to get 88 miles on a charge.65 is about the max.The numbers do not add up??

and in TX you are going to lose battery capacity very quickly. Heat is the enemy and there is almost nothing you can do about it. Do you still have 12 bars after 18,000 miles in TX?

We are getting around 4.3 mi per kwh. about a year and a half ago i totaled 88.8 mi on a full charge. This was to a low battery warning. I've never gone any farther than the LBW. Now I think I might be able to get 70 mi. I haven't tested it but we lost one capacity bar about six weeks ago.

I have run out of electricity twice in my 2013 sv. Both times I was pushing the range and I knew it so I dont blame the car. I was around 90 miles both times.

epic said:
i've gone as low as about 6 miles on gam with 1 bar left.As of about 600 miles ago I have 11 bars showing.
At 6 miles on the GoM you likely have more than that number of miles left; how many depends on the speed. So, you aren't using the full battery capacity.

Being down one capacity bar relatively recently suggests that you are down about 15% from new. So, if you had 21.5 kWh usable when new you would have about 18 kWh now. And the lower it gets, the more of that battery capacity is below Low Battery Warning and Very Low Battery Warning (because those occur at fixed levels of charge). So, if you are still driving at 4.4 miles/kWh (you could reset it periodically and see) 18 kWh would be about 80 miles. But you aren't using the bottom 20% or so of the battery, so your 65 mile range actually seems pretty good. My guess is that you are doing a bit better than 4.4 miles/kWh to get that number (or you are counting that 6 miles on the GoM as part of the 65 mile range).

Try taking the car down to VLBW (Very Low Battery Warning, where the GoM goes to ---) and see how far you get. Just make sure that you are within a few miles of home or a charge station when you get there. As a rough estimate, the number of miles you have below VLBW is about half of the miles you had between LBW and VLBW, assuming speed and driving are similar.

If my batterie capacity is lower approx. 18,when I charge it should it be quicker & use less kw per full status?

epic said:
If my batterie capacity is lower approx. 18,when I charge it should it be quicker & use less kw per full status?
Yes. But that's from "empty" to "full"; if you charge for the same number of driving miles each day it ought to take about the same amount of time.

Back