Carwings "Send to Car" and GeoRSS Feeds

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdouglas

Hi All,

First time posting on the forum, but I've been reading for quite a bit, I've been a LEAF driver for about 4 months now and I live in Ireland.

Some background info;
In Google Maps, the "Send to Car" feature doesn't seem to work very well outside of North America and in Ireland, it's not even an option for us to use (it doesn't appear in Google maps at all).

With this in mind, I've been working on a way to get as close as possible to this functionality of "Send to Car" but the documentation around Carwings is quite lacking in detail.

I've registered with the japanese carwings site at (http://lab.nissan-carwings.com/CWL/) and from this, I've found it's possible to use GeoRSS points in an RSS feed which you can then add to the Leaf's navigation system. Additionally, our charge point network in Ireland is available as a .kml file, so I've put together some instructions for drivers on how to plot a route in Google Maps (with the charge network overlayed), download the KML file of the route, convert to GeoRSS, and then add that route to the Leaf's navigation system. (See http://www.irishevowners.com/ecars-google-maps-planning-your-trip/)

This works, but requires a few more manual steps than I'd like, so what I'm trying to figure out is how to generate an RSS feed which you can add to Carwings and be able to add the destination and all waypoints in one go (currently, you have to open the feed and add each point as a waypoint manually)

I've experimented a bit with GeoRSS and can't find a way to get multiple locations to feed in as waypoints to the Leaf. So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know how Google's Send To Car feature, or the Carwings Route Planner, actually get's the Leaf to read waypoints as part of a route and download a full route in one go?

Thanks

kdouglas said:
I've experimented a bit with GeoRSS and can't find a way to get multiple locations to feed in as waypoints to the Leaf. So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know how Google's Send To Car feature, or the Carwings Route Planner, actually get's the Leaf to read waypoints as part of a route and download a full route in one go?
Thanks
I am not a techie, and despite living within commuting distance of Google, know nothing about the specific questions you ask, but I do know that the Send to Car feature never sent a route, only the destination waypoint. The car's navi system figured out the route after you downloaded the destination. Now Google Maps in either the new or old version do not support the Send to Car feature. I started a thread on this, so read that for the details. You can in some cases get the Send to Car link to appear using the classic interface, but it doesn't actually work when you finally click send.

Ah, thanks for the information, since I can't actually use the Send to Car feature, I wasn't sure exactly how it worked.

So you couldn't do multiple destinations and then send them all to the car, just the one?

(I know the route itself is worked out by the car, but it's the difference between saying "I want to go from my current location to B" and "I want to go to my current location to B, but I need to stop at this charge point on the way")

Yes, you could send multiple destinations, not just one, but each is (i.e. was, but is no longer) sent separately to the Nissan server. You could then download them in the car as you needed them. They would download in reverse order from how they were uploaded, which may or may not be convenient to your route. When you finished one destination and were ready for the next, it wouldn't calculate the best or nearest, it just would wait for you to choose All information feeds/google Maps and start downloading them again. You had to pause on the one you wanted and choose it as the destination. It, i.e. the Leaf's navi, then gives you good turn-by-turn directions, but you would be the one choosing the destination order, i.e. the overall route. Remember, I am talking about Google Maps. I think the Carwings route planner would calculate an entire route, but I'm not sure. I couldn't get it to work the last time I tried, either. When Google Maps Send to car was working, it was great, but now we just have to wait for Google to reimplement it.

Thanks for the info. That's basically what I'm doing now. I create a route with multiple points but you be to hit pause on each one and then navigate to it.

I might look into the carwings route planner a bit more.

Cheers

Back