LEAF Capacity Loss Map

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

I've been learning ArcGIS lately and as a fun project I created a map using the Plug In America LEAF battery survey results and the solar loading data from NREL. I thought I'd share here. This is my first time using ArcGIS to do this outside of class, but if anyone has any particular suggestions I'd be happy to try to implement them.

View Larger

Devin said:
I've been learning ArcGIS lately and as a fun project I created a map using the Plug In America LEAF battery survey results and the solar loading data from NREL. I thought I'd share here. This is my first time using ArcGIS to do this outside of class, but if anyone has any particular suggestions I'd be happy to try to implement them.

View Larger

Wow that is very nice and useful. Thank you!

Devin said:
Looks nice... BUT...
I suspect the Leaf Battery Report is highly optimistic. I'm fairly certain there are more drivers in Phoenix that have lost more battery bars than the report suggests. I wish I could point to a better source.

You might confine the regions to areas with high concentrations of chargers. For example, outside of Phoenix and Tucson, there aren't many chargers in Arizona. http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can provide some insight. Look for where the fast chargers are located (orange markers), and possibly adjust filters to exclude Tesla chargers.

Devin,

This is a cool project, and a great "real world" use for your newfound GIS skills.

Speaking for myself, I filled out the Plug In America survey when it first came out (2012, was it?) when I had 12 bars. I've since lost two, but haven't gone back to update the survey. I suspect many others are in the same boat, so I'd agree with other comments that the data is probably so out-of-date as to draw misleadingly optimistic results. I'm sure that others who became so frustrated to have sold their LEAFs and picked up other vehicles never went back in to update their records either.

Maybe someone who has authority on the forum can put out a call to owners to contribute/update their survey results...

Oh, and thanks for sticking with the forum even after your LEAF gave its life for you... :)

[Edit] OK, I've updated my information on the Plug In America website, and I encourage others who haven't done so in awhile to do so as well...

Back