2014 Leaf battery monthly capacity values

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkjayakumar

2014 Leaf SV
Manufactured: 01/14/2014
Bought on: 01/31/2014

I am planning to use this thread to post my Gid values month on month on a 100% charge. I drive close to 75 miles or more every weekday and also drive a bit on the weekends. I expect to rake up good amount of mileage each month. I will simply update this post with latest values.

I do have an ODBII adapter, but don't have an Android device for the application. Will get one soon. That will give us more Ah useful values.

Given that the 2014 Leafs do not have 80% charge limit, I am afraid I will be charging to 100% every day morning.

Here goes my first entry:

Feb-10-2014, Mileage: 300, Gids: 284

mkjayakumar said:
Feb-10-2014, Mileage: 300, Gids: 284

<sigh> Must be nice. When I had the 2013 rental it topped out at 284 also. It'll be interesting to see if it gets any higher but my recollection on the 2013 was that the software capped it at 284.

Date: 07-March
Miles: 2000+
5 weeks of ownership
Gids: 284

Haven't lost a Gid yet. The temps have been below freezing at night and in mid 30s and 40s during day.

Charge to 100% overnight, finishing the charge about 30 minutes before hitting the road in the morning. Drive very aggressively to office, and I mean that - staying above 80 mph for a good part of the daily 37 mile commute and often touching 85 mph for passing, in Rt 121. The car is rock solid even above 80 mph. Often I don't even realize the speeds unless I look at the speedo. Efficiency: 2.9 miles/kWh. Arrive at around 130 Gids.

Charge to 100% at office. I wait for a few hours before plugging it in, so that it stays no more than 2 hours at full charge at office. Drive back home with speeds around 75 mph, whenever the traffic allows. Efficiency: 3.2 miles/kWh.

Rinse, repeat the next day, every workday.

Ditto to TomT. Summer isn't here yet.

So far:

In service on 2.1.2014 with 284 GIDs
Current mileage 2400 and still 284 GIDs.

No days so far with temps over the 80F degrees threshold that apparently qualifies as "extreme" according to Nissan.

80mph with no worries is a fun ride.

The slow pokes on the left lane - gas cars, especially the ones with exotic brands like BMW, Lexus and Mercedes - they annoy me. :). I yell at them, move over and give way to the future :)

Wish my 2013 was so lucky. Only 3900 miles, and down to 255 GIDs. From reading around on posts, I think the early 2013's from TN may have been a little shaky QC wise with the batteries. Hopefully your car is a sign they have dramatically reduced the degredation. Thankfully I only have a 2 year lease, so not sweating it too much. Almost 1 year in, and 1 to go. Crossing fingers for great things in 2015 range wise with the Leaf.

Can you please update your profile with your location?

... Only 3900 miles, and down to 255 GIDs.
Almost 1 year in, and 1 to go. Crossing fingers for great things in 2015 range wise with the Leaf.

Only 3900 miles in one year? and not sure how you recon you saved 300 gallons?

It is not so much the miles you have driven but the fact that your Leaf has lived through a summer is a big part of your battery degradation. Have you been keeping the Battery at 100% SOC in peak summer for extended period of time?

The Kia Sedona we drive around the area only gets 10-13 miles per gallon. The Kia Optima the leaf replaced only got 14 in the city.

Freeway they both do/did much better (25 mph), but that's not most of our driving.

Sorry, I am in the north side of Chicago. The gids stopped dropping when the weather was below freezing, but are slowly tricling down again. I don't have a starting gid number as I only got the meter in the last coupld months.

"In service on 2.1.2014 with 284 GIDs
Current mileage 2400 and still 284 GIDs."

Seems high, as my 2013 (3 months old) has 3700 miles and GIDs = 262.
How have you measured your GIDs, e.g. LeafSpy? If using the LeafSpy,
please provide all your data to reference to these data:

Vehicle - 2013 SL, Mileage - 3771, Production # - 416635, Date of Pur - 11/22/2013

GIDS - 263, Capacity - 20.3 kWH, SOC - 97%, SOH - 92%, Hx - 92.81%, AHr - 60.49
QCs - 21, L1/L2s - 110, Tire Pressure - 42psi, Average Range - 5.1-5.2miles/kWH
Driving Speed < 55-60mph, Vcell(nominal) - 4.12 volts

caffeinekid said:
Ditto to TomT. Summer isn't here yet.

So far:

In service on 2.1.2014 with 284 GIDs
Current mileage 2400 and still 284 GIDs.

No days so far with temps over the 80F degrees threshold that apparently qualifies as "extreme" according to Nissan.
Notice any change in the Hx (formerly "Health") value over those 2400 miles? Many of the 2013s started with 284 Gids and Hx>108% but lost that 284th Gid around Hx=102 or 103 (IIRC) ? Also what about Ah capacity? I assume as Gids are 284 that Ah capacity is pegged at 67.3620Ah, but I believe that also starts to fall when the Hx gets low enough.

It is interesting that today I noticed that my Leaf was charging for nearly 30 minutes after it reached 284 Gids, and looking at the ChargePoint screen it appears that it pumped another 0.5kWh after it reached 284.

I thought that was strange.

mkjayakumar said:
It is interesting that today I noticed that my Leaf was charging for nearly 30 minutes after it reached 284 Gids, and looking at the ChargePoint screen it appears that it pumped another 0.5kWh after it reached 284.

That sounds like cell/pack balancing. I'd call that a good sign that the BMS/charging protocol is doing its job.

mkjayakumar said:

Mine does that too, judging by the Wh counter in LEAF Battery App. None of the charging station screens near me display kWh.

mkjayakumar said:

I saw this on a 2013 rental I had a while back. I don't recall if it was balancing but it was down to a trickle charge that lasted a good 30-60 minutes (I think there's a separate thread here on long 13/14 charge finish times). Unlike the 11/12 chargers which seems to have course charge power steps (1A increments DC or so), the new chargers can and do linger at the top of charge which probably squeezes in a tad more juice.

"It is interesting that today I noticed that my Leaf was charging for nearly 30 minutes after it reached 284 Gids, and looking at the ChargePoint screen it appears that it pumped another 0.5kWh after it reached 284."

It appears that if I want more GIDs/battery capacity I need to use/buy another device to measures GIDs, right?
Maybe that will magically/immediately provide another 20 GIDs and increase my battery capacity.

lorenfb said:
"It is interesting that today I noticed that my Leaf was charging for nearly 30 minutes after it reached 284 Gids, and looking at the ChargePoint screen it appears that it pumped another 0.5kWh after it reached 284."

It appears that if I want more GIDs/battery capacity I need to use/buy another device to measures GIDs, right?
Maybe that will magically/immediately provide another 20 GIDs and increase my battery capacity.
I'm not sure how to respond to that... On one hand the car seems to cap it's Gid counter at 284 (and it's internal SOC at 97.2999%, and it's capacity at 67.3620Ah) So if you want to display more than that, you'll have to write an app to approximate those last few electrons based on other factors. Given the lousy current sensor on the Leaf that might be difficult. Even though ChargePoint showed 500Wh extra after hitting 284 Gids, I'm guessing at the low charge current most of that went into running the charger and keeping the car's controllers running. ie the charge efficiency at the very end is terrible. Maybe only 100-200Wh actually made it into the battery. Perhaps 2 or 3 Gids. If I had a Leaf that kept charging after pegging at 284 Gids I'd consider myself quite lucky! Most of us can't get nearly that high :(

"Most of us can't get nearly that high"

That's the point!

How is it that one reports the max GIDs (284) consistently with mileage far exceeding a new vehicle
just off the production line? Obviously there's a battery distribution indicating GIDs with mileage,
but to have some still with max GIDs with significant mileage becomes questionable, i.e. a battery
is battery and it's NOT like a huge tantalum capacitor that basically doesn't loose charge capacity
over time with use.

Back