Cost of Carwings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob said:
Has anyone yet heard the official cost of Carwings after 3 years?
Bob
I suspect that it's just a marketing tool, with some arbitrary assigned price. In reality, CarWings may be more a tool for Nissan to gather vehicle use data - Nissan was kind enough to offer drivers limited controls and a look at some of the data they've collected. I suspect Nissan may offer it for free for previously leased cars for sale (but I have heard nothing to support this.)

In my opinion, CarWings doesn't work well enough / reliably enough / fast enough to be worthy of a paid subscription. I can tolerate really poor performance if the price is low, but the cost of a cellular data subscription alone would probably be more than I'd be willing to pay for this service.

I'd really rather the vehicle had a WiFi interface, and a PC tool to download data directly from the vehicle rather than via Nissan. Or use Bluetooth with a smartphone/tablet app for eventual transfer to a PC.

brettcgb
I'd really rather the vehicle had a WiFi interface, and a PC tool to download data directly from the vehicle rather than via Nissan. Or use Bluetooth with a smartphone/tablet app for eventual transfer to a PC.

I agree and hope someone smart here is working on a fix for a diy project. Nissan uses the data and the rest is like a carrot for us to nibble on.

We should have our first cars out of the 3 year Carwings for free window. Is anyone getting charged?

The only thing I use CarWings for now is to send destinations to the car from Google Maps. I use that a lot since I usually am entering them from coordinates, not addresses, and there is no way to do that in the car. Still, I wouldn't pay a monthly fee just for that. I have handheld GPS units that perform that function just fine. All the graph data on energy used and miles driven is totally inaccurate when it works at all, which is seldom. It's useless to me, and if if Nissan is using it, they are getting corrupted data.

I still have another 15 months of free service, but I find the ability to remote condition the car valuable. I would probably pay $5-10/mo for that, but certainly no more!

The ability to see rough SoC is also nice, as well as telling the car to top off to 100% on a whim. But I wouldn't be willing to pay for just those things.

I'd hazard a guess that it is less than $5/mo per unit. Since it is only an occassional data connection and I suspect the amount of data is small, there is neglible load on the cell service. And when you factor in volume pricing, it's really going to be next to nothing.

Of course, that won't stop Nissan from attempting to charge us a lot more for keeping it on past 36 month. Hopefully one of their employees with some customer-focus sense will win that discussion and they will keep it free since the data is clearly more for their R&D than for our benefit.

mwalsh said:
I'm only 5 days out from 36 months. No indication from Nissan yet as to the cost (if any) of a CarWings subscription going forward.

Hopefully they have no plans to. I'm sure that they want to reserve the right to charge for carwings later, especially as they apparently intend to extend it to all their vehicles someday. But for right now the cost of creating a charging infrastructure would be more than the income they would derive.

I'm in the same boat...January 4 will be my 3rd year anniversary...No word yet from Nissan about Carwings / subscription / pricing, etc.

Just an aside, though...I have kept all emails that have come from Nissan about my car (plug in reminder, charging stopped, etc. and in almost 3 years they have sent me 2,751 emails....Interesting....

I spoke with a couple execs from Nissan just a couple weeks ago and the subject of Carwings came up. Nissan does not currently have any systems in place to bill for the Carwings service and Nissan has not decided what to do. From that, I expect that Carwings will remain free for the near future.

On the subject of Nissan’s costs, we talked about how some of the 3rd party apps that go thru Carwings were using a hundred times more cellular data than just the car does. The increased cost was enough to catch the bean counter’s attention. That was part of the motivation behind the ill-advised plan to shut-out 3rd party apps. The point is that Nissan is currently paying for usage based cell data and not just flat rate.

FairwoodRed said:
I spoke with a couple execs from Nissan just a couple weeks ago and the subject of Carwings came up. Nissan does not currently have any systems in place to bill for the Carwings service and Nissan has not decided what to do. From that, I expect that Carwings will remain free for the near future.

On the subject of Nissan’s costs, we talked about how some of the 3rd party apps that go thru Carwings were using a hundred times more cellular data than just the car does. The increased cost was enough to catch the bean counter’s attention. That was part of the motivation behind the ill-advised plan to shut-out 3rd party apps. The point is that Nissan is currently paying for usage based cell data and not just flat rate.
As long as Nissan foots the bill for the cellular data connection, we can reasonably expect everything Carwings to remain closed and unchanging. Was there any hint that this might change?

When I subscribed (in Europe) it said subscription is free for 5 years. Why 3? Or is it in US only?

Official: Carwings continues to be complementary until we're told otherwise.

KEEP CHARGING ON WITH COMPLEMENTARY CARWINGS®
We're extending your CARWINGS subscription.

Great news, Michael! Your CARWINGS(1) subscription has been extended.

When you purchased your Nissan LEAF,® it included three years of complimentary CARWINGS—the innovative system that lets you communicate remotely with your car to check the charging status of your battery, set timers, turn on climate control, find local charging stations and more. To thank you for being among the first gas-free drivers, we've extended your subscription until further notice.

While we do anticipate CARWINGS being a paid subscription service in the future, you'll get at least 90 days' notice before your complimentary subscription expires.

We hope you're enjoying your 100% electric Nissan LEAF and that CARWINGS has become part of your daily driving routine. (And if you haven't tried it yet, download the app today for iPhone® or Android.™) If you have any questions about CARWINGS, please call us toll free at 1-877-NO-GAS-EV.

Keep Charging On!

(1) CARWINGS requires compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Nissan's control. AT&T has announced that on December 31, 2016, AT&T will terminate 2G network availability. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, CARWINGS will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Nissan cannot guarantee. Nissan not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued CARWINGS operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks). Certain remote functions require compatible smartphone, not included with vehicle. CARWINGS subscription service requires owner consent to activate and may require purchase. See dealer for details. Standard text rates and/or data usage may apply to CARWINGS communications received by email or SMS/text message. Terms and conditions of Subscription Agreement apply.

Given the previous post about ATT shutting down the 2G operations/frequencies it's hard to justify Nissan charging for something that we know will be unavailable in the future. Hasn't stopped companies before but the internal costs would probably outweigh any financial benefit. We all know the service isn't worth much so we wouldn't pay much for it either.

Here's my Carwings rant: No, I will NOT pay for the current slow, unreliable system, no matter what. It is a veritable "antique" when compared with similar systems, for example, my home thermostat mobile app. It's obvious Nissan made a decision to cobble up the cheapest possible system so they could advertise it as a desirable "cool" utility for owners to manage their car - but in reality it performs so poorly that I gave up on it shortly after getting my Leaf. The only thing I use it for now is to warm up my car, which takes about 3-8 minutes (in the unlikely event that it actually works; more often than not it times out with a server error).

I'd like to see some higher visibility on this topic. Could some enterprising MNL Leafer start a poll to see how many owners are fed up with Nissan over this issue?
THANKS

Petecomp1 said:
Here's my Carwings rant: No, I will NOT pay for the current slow, unreliable system, no matter what. It is a veritable "antique" when compared with similar systems,

To give Nissan some credit - the system is (at the very least) 3 years old, which is an antique in technology terms. It was pretty cool when it first rolled out.

Back