Nissan Leaf 60 months or 60,000 miles battery question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgonzalez

Hi Team,
Now that Nissan has announced a capacity loss warranty below nine bars for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, we are now in our 27 month of ownership (Leaf 2011) and just lost our first bar at 24,500 miles, is there a way to intentionally speed up the battery capacity loss to less than 9 bars without voiding the warranty, so we can get the battery replaced under the 60 months or 60,000 miles warranty, I understand that Nissan is only obligated to replace to 9 bars, but who knows if Nissan will just give a new pack with 12 bars, pls advice?

We charge at night during the PG&E E9B rates, so electricity at the moment is 6 cents per kilo watt and around $20 per month, this will change in the near future to 11 cents at estimated $30 monthly cost.
we always charge to 100%
we always leave the car in the sun
we drive the little Leaf hard.
we drive either with AC or Heat.
we stop doing quick charges at $5 per charge.

Thanks

Move to Death Valley. Run the heater full blast to increase cabin temperature while also having the steering wheel and seat heaters running. Put in high-regen mode to increase the amount of electrons into the battery during a commute. Charge immediately after a drive. Charge after each drive. Constantly preheat the cabin by keeping the car plugged in and refreshing. Park over black asphalt on a hot day. Never leave your windows open a crack.

So you want someone to help you commit warranty fraud knowing you just might possibly get a battery with fewer bars than you have now? That logic escapes me.

vgonzalez said:
Hi Team,
Now that Nissan has announced a capacity loss warranty below nine bars for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, we are now in our 27 month of ownership (Leaf 2011) and just lost our first bar at 24,500 miles, is there a way to intentionally speed up the battery capacity loss to less than 9 bars without voiding the warranty, so we can get the battery replaced under the 60 months or 60,000 miles warranty, I understand that Nissan is only obligated to replace to 9 bars, but who knows if Nissan will just give a new pack with 12 bars, pls advice?

We charge at night during the PG&E E9B rates, so electricity at the moment is 6 cents per kilo watt and around $20 per month, this will change in the near future to 11 cents at estimated $30 monthly cost.
we always charge to 100%
we always leave the car in the sun
we drive the little Leaf hard.
we drive either with AC or Heat.
we stop doing quick charges at $5 per charge.

Thanks

You have to drop to 8 bars to invoke the warranty and you are guaranteed a replacement of at least 9, so you would never wind up with less that you started... In actuality, Nissan is very likely to give you a pack with more than 9 since they are not going to want to replace it again soon...

GIBBER said:
you just might possibly get a battery with fewer bars than you have now? That logic escapes me.

You lost one bar in 25,000 miles...That sounds great to me... at that rate your car will be good for years to come. The battery degradation is supposed to slow as it ages.

You need more miles. Need at least 1000 per month.
Move to the desert.

Otherwise the warranty is for premature aging by Nissan's definition and I don't think you are going to make it.

I think there is a very simple answer. Just keep doing what you have been doing.

You are 45% of the way to 60 months, and you have already lost more than 15% of the capacity. (The first bar goes at no less than 15% loss; it could be as much as nearly 20% if you haven't had the P3227 reprogramming done.) The gauge drops to 8 bars somewhere between 65% and 70% capacity. If you keep losing at the same rate, and if you have lost (conservative estimate) 16% already, you will lose another 20% by the time you hit 60 months. Voila: 64% capacity, and no more than 8 bars showing.

Ray

Tom I was speaking of status now. He's at 11 bars and wants to accelerate the loss to get a pack with a min of 9 bars (or two less than he has now)
TomT said:
You have to drop to 8 bars to invoke the warranty and you are guaranteed a replacement of at least 9, so you would never wind up with less that you started... In actuality, Nissan is very likely to give you a pack with more than 9 since they are not going to want to replace it again soon...

GIBBER said:
you just might possibly get a battery with fewer bars than you have now? That logic escapes me.

Ahh, OK! I clearly got derailed! :lol:

GIBBER said:
Tom I was speaking of status now. He's at 11 bars and wants to accelerate the loss to get a pack with a min of 9 bars (or two less than he has now)
TomT said:
GIBBER said:

Team,

Now I can keep a close eye on the battery health, the Leaf DD device arrived yesterday, here are the results on a full charge Gids=229, temperature 87.26, 51.85 Ah, 82.59 G%.

Updating your profile with your location would be helpful... It appears that you are closing in on your first capacity bar loss if you are not already there... Have you had P3227 done?

vgonzalez said:
Now I can keep a close eye on the battery health, the Leaf DD device arrived yesterday, here are the results on a full charge Gids=229, temperature 87.26, 51.85 Ah, 82.59 G%.

Team,
Quick update, my Nissan Leaf finally lost it's 4th capacity bar at 55,800 miles and 2 weeks before the 5 year birthday, the dealer has opened a warranty claim against Nissan and soon the Leaf will be getting a replacement battery, here are the reading at full charge (4th capacity bar loss) 41.08 AH, 65.86 G% and 182 grids.

My Nissan 2011 just received the new battery replacement under warranty here are the new battery readings: GID 282, 93.81%, 99.99G%, 62.04ah.

vgonzalez said:
My Nissan 2011 just received the new battery replacement under warranty here are the new battery readings: GID 282, 93.81%, 99.99G%, 62.04ah.
Congratulations :D
Got my new battery August 4.
Like a brand new car except for the worn out carpet ;)

Back