Software recall range issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfnissanleaf

I have a nissan leaf 2012. I use it for my daily commute and usually have between 25 to 30 miles range left at the end of the day.
After the last software recall has been applied to my car about two weeks ago, I noticed that I can barely make it. The range left at the end of the day dropped to 10 miles maximum. This is a significant drop. And I haven't changed my driving habits. Anybody has seen similar issue?
Thanks,

It sounds like the "hidden bars" update. But I don't think that was applicable to 2012s. When exactly did you take delivery (your profile says today, which is obviously not correct) and is this the first set of software updates you've had?

My Nissan Leaf was delivered last November and this was the first software update applied to the car.
Is there any way I can reverse this? Can I ask the dealer to uninstall the software updates?
Thanks,

November 2012 wouldn't be hidden bars. Or at least it shouldn't be. Unless it was one sitting on a dealer lot for a long time. Does the service paperwork show which updates were applied?

Do you happen to know any other local LEAF owners? One who may perhaps have a Gid measuring device? Think we need to establish how many Gids you have left when you think you're near empty.

P3227 is the new one. I guess we're calling it the "battery warranty" update. Nobody so far has seen similar issues to yours. But only a few people have had it so far, and it's not clear to us yet exactly what it's supposed to do.

sfnissanleaf said:
Is it reversible? Can I ask the dealer to uninstall the software updates?
You can ask, but I do not think they can or will reverse it.

Your symptoms are interesting given that some have seen MORE range after the update.

One thought: You might find that your range returns back to where it was after a bit of time. This has happened with others. You might want to give it a little time and see if it recovers.

sfnissanleaf said:

I don't think you will get more range by reversing the software.
Software upgrade only makes changes to how Guess-o-meter works, it does not change how long your car will drive (there were some report of marginally better REAL range after the software update, but again, that range was measured by driving, not by looking at guessometer).
If you really had the old 2011 software version, guessometer was grossly overestimating remaining miles.
after that Nissan fixed it so at least at the bottom edge it is more realistic.
Did you see the change in numbers only? how many bars were before and after update at the end of your trip? If number of bars have not changed, I wouldn't worry about what numbers are saying... They were never a good measure of how much you can really drive...
You can get a better measure by using Nissan battery app and entering your average MpkW number to get more consistent measure of remaining miles.

sfnissanleaf said:
I have a nissan leaf 2012. I use it for my daily commute and usually have between 25 to 30 miles range left at the end of the day.
After the last software recall has been applied to my car about two weeks ago, I noticed that I can barely make it. The range left at the end of the day dropped to 10 miles maximum. This is a significant drop. And I haven't changed my driving habits. Anybody has seen similar issue?
They probably changed the readings on the Guess-o-meter (GOM). I doubt you have any real change in range. I suggest getting the LeafDD instead of relying on the GOM:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best and cheapest way (in my opinion) to monitor energy left in the battery and battery pack temperature.

RegGuheert said:
sfnissanleaf said:
You can ask, but I do not think they can or will reverse it.

Your symptoms are interesting given that some have seen MORE range after the update.

One thought: You might find that your range returns back to where it was after a bit of time. This has happened with others. You might want to give it a little time and see if it recovers.

That's a thought. See this thread to see what I went through after the P1273 ("hidden bars") update. Though them also destroying my BCM had a lot to do with my issues. It took several weeks to nurse back some of my range, but I still reckon I ended up loosing 5 miles permanently:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, no, they won't reverse it. It's required for the battery warranty.

I don't rely much on the numbers displayed. The numbers of bars usually are more accurate. But I noticed that in average I have 2 bars less after my commute than I used to before the update.

sfnissanleaf said:
I don't rely much on the numbers displayed. The numbers of bars usually are more accurate. But I noticed that in average I have 2 bars less after my commute than I used to before the update.

Something's not right: a trip back to the dealer may be in order unless they did some other update as well.

sfnissanleaf said:
No, beside tire rotation, they only applied the P1273 update. This is what the paperwork shows.
There have been reports here of dealerships reducing tire pressure to 36 PSI at the time they rotate the tires. If you had set them to 40 or more PSI, perhaps this could account for some of your range shortfall. Anyway, this is something you can easily check if you had been running at a higher pressure.

sfnissanleaf said:
No, beside tire rotation, they only applied the P1273 update. This is what the paperwork shows.

You just contradicted an earlier report you made on the previous page:

sfnissanleaf said:
The paperwork shows this: Perform ECM update NTB13-061 / P3227

LEAFer said:
sfnissanleaf said:

You just contradicted an earlier report you made on the previous page:

sfnissanleaf said:
The paperwork shows this: Perform ECM update NTB13-061 / P3227

I think that's just an error, because the P1273 update was the last one mentioned.

I recently posted a description of a very similar experience.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18652&p=402243#p402243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still waiting to see if it improves if I give it a little more time to settle in to this latest update.

Back