New charging stations at Costco?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermon

Driving home from the airport (a 70 mile round trip drive), I was looking to see where the nearest charging stations were. I noticed one I've never seen before, and had the navigation track me to it. It led me to the center of my nearby Costco. There was no charging station to be found, but I'm thinking maybe it is one in "planning" ? Has anyone heard of Costco doing this with the new charging stations? It would be cool to see some L3 chargers go in. I live in Colorado.

thermon said:
Driving home from the airport (a 70 mile round trip drive), I was looking to see where the nearest charging stations were. I noticed one I've never seen before, and had the navigation track me to it. It led me to the center of my nearby Costco. There was no charging station to be found, but I'm thinking maybe it is one in "planning" ? Has anyone heard of Costco doing this with the new charging stations? It would be cool to see some L3 chargers go in. I live in Colorado.

It's more likely the opposite; they were removed by Costco. Look up the place on http://www.Plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

There was a thread a few weeks ago in which a Costco in the LA area (I believe it was Torrance) had put in an L2 charger. However I have not seen them at the Costcos I tend to frequent.

If there's no charging infrastructure, or evidence that one is about to be installed, it's likely an error in the database.

DaveinOlyWA said:
looks like Costco might be getting back into the public charging game. no definitive word yet but things are being worked

We FINALLY got a Costco near enough to me to make the trip in the Leaf.

I had read an article that Costco (Like Walgreens :) ) was committed to installing EVSE at their stores.
Here was a brand new store, so I drove out there (30 milles) and Signed up, and asked where the EV "Chargers" were.... No idea what I was talking about.
They don't have any.

Did more research, and found that they were removing the ones that they had installed in California because "Nobody was using them" !

Man, they do something that forward looking, then do something that short sighted right on top of it.

I wrote Costco a very nice polite note through their "Contact Costco" portal, and got a "we have forwarded your concern up to management" reply, then NOTHING.
It's been months.

Guess I will stop anticipating a response.

So stupid.
This was a location I would have driven way out of my way to support, and spent enough time inside to make a Level2 worth it.
(and nobody goes to Costco and leaves for less that $100)
You had me, now you lost me back to Sam's Club.

(everybody go to Wallgreens !)

KillaWhat said:
Wallgreens is a drug store. It's really not worth my while to plug in at a drug store unless it is a quick charger.

I agree that L2 at Costco makes a lot of sense. Around here, they have a long string of handicapped along the side of the building. They could extend that and include EV parking/charging so that the chargers could be attached and protected.

RegGuheert said:
KillaWhat said:
Wallgreens is a drug store. It's really not worth my while to plug in at a drug store unless it is a quick charger.

I agree that L2 at Costco makes a lot of sense. Around here, they have a long string of handicapped along the side of the building. They could extend that and include EV parking/charging so that the chargers could be attached and protected.

Reg, have you ever walked a prescription into Walgreen's? It's worth the charge. My typical experience even when I call it in before hand is a 30 minute visit. The downside here with the Walgreen's plugs is they aren't really near anything you want to visit but most are at least near restaurants (Chipotle, AW, McDonald's). <edit> Still, kudo's to Walgreen's and every other business that supports EV's. You get my dollar every time over your competition.

RonDawg said:
There was a thread a few weeks ago in which a Costco in the LA area (I believe it was Torrance) had put in an L2 charger. However I have not seen them at the Costcos I tend to frequent.
I go to the Torrance Costco regularly and there are two L2 chargers BUT as of last weekend neither is operating. I asked the Store Manager about them and he said there's some infighting between the charger mfr, Costco and the city of Torrance. It hasn't been resolved yet.

Really? You are going to stop shopping at Costco because they don't have EV charging? Does Sam's Club have EV charging?

KillaWhat said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
looks like Costco might be getting back into the public charging game. no definitive word yet but things are being worked

I had read an article that Costco (Like Walgreens :) ) was committed to installing EVSE at their stores.
Here was a brand new store, so I drove out there (30 milles) and Signed up, and asked where the EV "Chargers" were.... No idea what I was talking about.
They don't have any.

Did more research, and found that they were removing the ones that they had installed in California because "Nobody was using them" !

Man, they do something that forward looking, then do something that short sighted right on top of it.

I wrote Costco a very nice polite note through their "Contact Costco" portal, and got a "we have forwarded your concern up to management" reply, then NOTHING.
It's been months.

So stupid.
This was a location I would have driven way out of my way to support, and spent enough time inside to make a Level2 worth it.

downeykp said:
Really? You are going to stop shopping at Costco because they don't have EV charging? Does Sam's Club have EV charging?

KillaWhat said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

They don't have any.

It's been months.

So stupid.

No. I will stop driving almost 60 miles to shop at Costco without an EVSE.
Whereas, I would with an EVSE.

thermon said:

I would be happy to just get a Costco within 20 miles of home. Nearest Costco is over 100 miles north of me.

Here's an web submission form to request free charging stations at your local Costco. Side benefit is the improved likelihood of finding a space! The more people that they hear from, the more likely they will implement.

https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/web/custom/CostcoInitialPage.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then select "Warehouse." Remember to hit "submit" a second time.

BillyM said:
Here's an web submission form to request free charging stations atyour local Costco. Side benefit is the likelihood of finding a space! The more people that they hear from, the more likely they will implement.

https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=ESCALATION_REQUEST" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember to hit "submit" a second time.

Came up Error

There is a Nissan dealer with charging stations right next to the Hawthorne, California Costco. You can shop at Costco while charging your Leaf.

I am so mad they removed the old antiquated paddle chargers at the Oxnard Costco and turned them into regular parking spaces. I would love from them to have EVSE charging stations at the Oxnard and Westlake Costco that I frequent weekly. I actually park at the Nissan Dealership down the street sometimes and walk to Costco.

It seems odd that Costco used to be an innovator with the charging stations over 10 years ago...but now that we have many more BEVs on the road, they have not addressed the demand.

Please write and complain to Costco management or at least submit the web request.

They probably remember how badly burned that got last time when they put in the paddle chargers... In a sense, I don't blame them for not yet jumping in again... It's the same at all the Fry's Electronics stores...

ELROY said:
It seems odd that Costco used to be an innovator with the charging stations over 10 years ago...but now that we have many more BEVs on the road, they have not addressed the demand.

TomT said:
They probably remember how badly burned that got last time when they put in the paddle chargers... In a sense, I don't blame them for not yet jumping in again... It's the same at all the Fry's Electronics stores...

ELROY said:

Did they have a bad experience with the paddle chargers? Our 100+ outlet stores in Camarillo had a complete charging station for many years, but alas, they are also the outdated paddle chargers. I wrote to the Premium Outlet Store management. They said they have them planned, and they should be done by May. Still haven't installed them. I also wrote city hall, and they said we should be getting some at the Metrolink station eventually. Can't believe our city has no Level 2 charging when all the surrounding cities have them.

b18n.jpg

Kind of interesting that the Oxnard Costco just happens to be across the street from FRYs electronics.

I was in Thousand Oaks yesterday and saw that they actually have a Blink Level 3 DCQC all set up and ready to be activated. These are very rare considering this is the only one between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.

04rf.jpg

ELROY said:
Did they have a bad experience with the paddle chargers? Our 100+ outlet stores in Camarillo had a complete charging station, but alas, they are also the outdated paddle chargers.
There are still a few RAV4 EVs (1st gen) on the road, which use the paddle stations. The EVSE on the right is an Avcon, pin-compatible with J1772, it just needs a new plug.

surfingslovak said:
ELROY said:
Did they have a bad experience with the paddle chargers? Our 100+ outlet stores in Camarillo had a complete charging station, but alas, they are also the outdated paddle chargers.
There are still a few RAV4 EVs (1st gen) on the road, which use the paddle stations. The EVSE on the right is an Avcon, pin-compatible with J1772, it just needs a new plug.

Which brings up an interesting question...how many of these do you save for the few vehicles left that are compatible with them? According to Wikipedia, less than 1500 of the 1st gen RAV4 EV's were ever sold or leased. OTOH just the Nissan Leaf alone is closing in on 30k vehicles sold in the US.

If you rip them all out and replace them with J1772's and/or some sort of QC, then you lock out early pioneers of EV motoring, but if you leave even one, that is a spot that cannot be used by the overwhelming majority of EVs on the roads today, unless they want to install a J1772 or QC in addition to the paddle charger.

Back