Carwings - Heating While Plugged In

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gergg

Just got my Leaf and have a question about Carwings and remote heat activation. When I log into Carwings from my laptop and request climate control to be turned on, how does it know if I want heat or AC? It's 30 degrees out this morning and I can't seem to find a way to request heat through Carwings, it just says turn on climate control....Also, if I have 100% charge and request climate control to be activated through Carwings does the system automatically start to recharge again to help loss of battery charge? Or do I need to hit the "start charging" request through Carwings at the same time I activate the climate control? I looked through some threads trying to find this info, but wanted to make sure I know what the heck is going on here, thanks in advance for your help.

It's magic. I honestly don't know either. I assume that it recognizes the ambient temperature outside and adjusts. In summer I get a/c and in winter I've been getting lovely heat.

If I am plugged into L2 with heat on, how much charging progress am I making compared to no heat? 1/2 hour charge during a storm (down 3 bars in first 13.5 miles of my drive with heavy rain and winds) didn't seem to change thngs.

gergg said:
Just got my Leaf and have a question about Carwings and remote heat activation. When I log into Carwings from my laptop and request climate control to be turned on, how does it know if I want heat or AC? It's 30 degrees out this morning and I can't seem to find a way to request heat through Carwings, it just says turn on climate control....Also, if I have 100% charge and request climate control to be activated through Carwings does the system automatically start to recharge again to help loss of battery charge? Or do I need to hit the "start charging" request through Carwings at the same time I activate the climate control? I looked through some threads trying to find this info, but wanted to make sure I know what the heck is going on here, thanks in advance for your help.
When you turn on climate control either through carwings or timer, the system will do what it has to do to get the cabin to 77F using recirculated air. You have no options. In some climates, if the interior is damp, this may result in fogged windows.

The charger is always activated when using remote CC. If the car was charged to 100%, initially, the SOC will drop, but will eventally return to 100% if left plugged in long enough. If the car was charged to 80%, charging will continue past 80%.

Bill

When you turn on climate control either through carwings or timer, the system will do what it has to do to get the cabin to 77F using recirculated air. You have no options. In some climates, if the interior is damp, this may result in fogged windows.

The charger is always activated when using remote CC. If the car was charged to 100%, initially, the SOC will drop, but will eventally return to 100% if left plugged in long enough. If the car was charged to 80%, charging will continue past 80%.

Awesome, mystery solved, thanks!

gergg said:

Awesome, mystery solved, thanks!
I was just going to edit. My comments are based on L2 (240 volt) charging. If L1, it will take a long time to get back to 100% - if ever.

TaylorSFGuy said:
If I am plugged into L2 with heat on, how much charging progress am I making compared to no heat? 1/2 hour charge during a storm (down 3 bars in first 13.5 miles of my drive with heavy rain and winds) didn't seem to change thngs.
It will depend on the temp diff between ambient and the CC temp of 77 F. You can look at the energy gauge while charging and see approx how much is going to CC. I typically see 1.2 KW CC on L1 (out of 1.44 KW) so there is nothing going to the battery as the rest is overhead or efficiency losses. When using L2, I have seen anywhere from ~1 KW to 3.5 KW CC, again depending upon temperature. At Seattle temps, you will probably see 1.5 KW CC, so about 1/2 going to the battery. Of course, when plugged into the DCQC, any amount going to CC is insignificant. :cool:

Is that 77 F correct? I thought remote CC was automatically set to 70 F and yes, the car automatically puts A/C or heater depending on the ambient temp.

:p Well, I'm quite certain that others have reported that 77°F temperature is in the service manual. But, what does it matter? You can not do anything about it, right?

Correct, unless you want to do a mod. There is a thread you can search for where a fellow connected a resistor in parallel (or series?) with the cabin thermistor in order to increase the set temperature. And, someone else was going to experiment with going the other direction - lower the temperature.

jhm614 said:
Is there a way to manually turn on the heater while charging or do you have to go through CARWINGS?
I have asked that before... Does anyone have an answer??? Carwings is pretty flaky lately. I'd be happy to just go out and preheat the car, and will not likely renew carwings on expiration.

while charging, power up the car with brake +pwr, then on the climate console press the "auto" button. you can watch this working on the power consumption screen.
You can adjust the desired temperature, but if you adjust anything else (like turning off the AC even though it is freezing outside), air will circulate, but you will not get heat.
the power draw will be limited to the level of charger you are plugged into.

the only time i saw this NOT work is when my charge was at zero bars. I was at a chademo charger and i couldn't get the auto function to give me heat until i had 2 bars.

JimSouCal said:
jhm614 said:
Is there a way to manually turn on the heater while charging or do you have to go through CARWINGS?
I have asked that before... Does anyone have an answer??? Carwings is pretty flaky lately. I'd be happy to just go out and preheat the car, and will not likely renew carwings on expiration.

jclemens said:
while charging, power up the car with brake +pwr, then on the climate console press the "auto" button. you can watch this working on the power consumption screen.
You can adjust the desired temperature, but if you adjust anything else (like turning off the AC even though it is freezing outside), air will circulate, but you will not get heat.
the power draw will be limited to the level of charger you are plugged into.

the only time i saw this NOT work is when my charge was at zero bars. I was at a chademo charger and i couldn't get the auto function to give me heat until i had 2 bars.

JimSouCal said:
jhm614 said:
I have asked that before...
Thanks. Will give it a go...Does it go into ACC mode... Well, will see. Yes, AC in Japan seems to be both heat and cool...

This has been posted several times before. Yes, while charging, push start button twice (without foot on brake), push auto CC or defrost, adjust temp as necessary, switch to energy screen and confirm heat KW consumption. I see about 1.2 KW while on L1 and 3.3 KW on L2 or DCQC. I've never tried it at zero bars, so I can't confirm JimSouCal's comments.

Reddy said:
I've never tried it at zero bars, so I can't confirm JimSouCal's comments.
I do not recall the specifics, but Tony Williams reported that last fall/winter. Heat will not start until a certain amount of charge completes.

Also remember that there is a setting that sets charging or heating as the priority. (I think it is under Carwings Settings if I remember correctly). If charging is set as priority, the heat may not come on if your battery is still charging and you are plugged in to 120V (not enough amps for both). Not an issue for 240V level charging in most instances; however.

Nissan has been having some difficulties with their server which affected the climate control timer as set thru the apps or owners web page. Thought they had it fixed, but my timer set OK last night, but failed to initialize this AM. (See also the thread: Is Carwings Glitchy for You?) A little nippy driving in at 11 degrees with no heat....(Preheat saves enough battery power such that my round trip can be made with a decent margin of safety.)

Back