It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 227
Location: Fresno, CA
Delivery Date: 14 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 008681
-- UPDATE from Nissan at the End of the World (12/21/12 :) ) --
Quote:
UPDATE for Nissan LEAF Owners: CARWINGS Restored
Code and configuration updates have sucessfully returned LEAF CARWINGS service connectivity to normal and we have seen no issue recurrence over the last 14 hours. Customers should be able to use all services normally. Our technical teams will continue to closely monitor systems and service performance to ensure you are able to fully enjoy all your CARWINGS services, and we will continue to troubleshoot and work to improve our service performance and stability. Thank you all for your patience and feedback. We apologize for an inconvenience this may have caused you.
- Nissan Social + Nissan Vehicle Connected Services

http://www.facebook.com/nissanleaf/post ... 0344747796

-- UPDATE from Nissan - 12/20/12 --
Quote:
We'd like to take this opportunity to share the status of the CARWINGS connectivity issue we shared with our LEAF owners yesterday afternoon. A cross-company team has worked throughout the night and has been able to identify a problem which has contributed to latency and error conditions our owners are experiencing. Tuning changes and a code correction have reduced but not eliminated failures. Our team continues to investigate and we will provide updates via this thread as they develop. Thank you for your all your comments and feedback!
– Nissan Social + Nissan Vehicle Connected Services

http://www.facebook.com/nissanleaf/post ... omments=48

-- UPDATE - 12/20/12 --
Not that it'll matter tomorrow anyway :lol: but Nissan seems to have put some people on the job and it's a little more usable now, but still about 50% failure rate for me. Haven't seen much buzz in the thread this morning so maybe it's a bit more reliable, either that or everyone's already posted in the thread. Not yet had a single confirmation of "it's been working for me this whole time", so it's a fair bet that this is affecting all LEAF owners. Also still no word from Nissan that the issue's been fixed. We'll see...

-- UPDATE and THREAD SUMMARY - 12/19/12 --
Nissan has finally acknowledged a problem with CARWINGS (I guess that's the proper stylizing, so I'll use that). https://twitter.com/NissanLEAF/status/2 ... 3863950336

-- UPDATE and THREAD SUMMARY - 12/18/12 --
This is definitely a system-wide issue, confirmed to be "still spotty" by a Nissan social rep, but as of this time, still not resolved.

Summary of past 7 pages of replies: "Yep, it's messed up for me too." :lol:

It's:
  • not related to geography
  • not resolved by resetting the car's TCU (telemetrics communications(?) unit)
  • not a problem with the app, phone, or the browser
  • kind of a huge pain in the rear

Please continue to post your findings as Nissan is said to be monitoring this thread for information on the problem. Personally, I think it's a server-on-fire problem: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10936&start=10#p250535 - and another post on the problem: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10936&start=70#p251402

-- ORIGINAL POST --

Lately, seems like ever since I moved (to another area in the dead center of the city), I can't get Carwings to work for a crap. Whenever I request an update while at home, it's almost a 25% chance it'll actually go through, and a 75% chance I'm going to sit around for 5 minutes waiting for the request to fail and have to try it again.* That defeats the purpose. This morning I spent 10 minutes trying to remote-activate climate control, and I gave up since I was running late trying to get the function to work.

Who could I even contact to report this issue? I don't think Nissan could bend AT&T's arm to come out here and fix the defective tower that's causing this, if that's the case...

Anyone else have the same experience? I'm guessing it's just me, since Google sure doesn't know what "carwings request failed" means...

* - side note. Let's assume Carwings operates on an SMS-based system, where Carwings sends a text message to the car's AT&T modem, which is how the telemetrics operates - receives requests via SMS, replies via web or SMS reply. So why is this a difficult thing to accomplish? If it fails to respond in a certain number of seconds, try again - and a sequence number would rule out duplicate commands if a "burst" of repeated commands is received. Not that effing hard. As for replying, that could be made quicker by always responding via web, since SMS is sent out on tower control signals, establishing a connection to reply would be quicker than sending another SMS on the next signal and waiting for the Carwings server to get the SMS. Much room to improve, for sure...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

_________________
Living the electric-car life on an "under $25,000" income. Thank you, Nissan LEAF!


Last edited by FalconFour on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Posts: 2915
Location: Northern VA
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
FalconFour wrote:
Lately, seems like ever since I moved (to another area in the dead center of the city), I can't get Carwings to work for a crap. Whenever I request an update while at home, it's almost a 25% chance it'll actually go through, and a 75% chance I'm going to sit around for 5 minutes waiting for the request to fail and have to try it again.* That defeats the purpose.
While the "odds" of a successful result change day-to-day, I will agree that using Carwings is often a crapshoot with the five-minute wait being the equivalent of snake eyes, only much more frequent.
FalconFour wrote:
This morning I spent 10 minutes trying to remote-activate climate control, and I gave up since I was running late trying to get the function to work.
This morning was particularly bad. After about 7:00AM EST yesterday morning (December 14) the system seemed to entirely lose the ability to communicate with the car, with the result that every request turned into a five-minute wait. The last update I have received was at 6:20AM EST 14 December 2012.
FalconFour wrote:
Who could I even contact to report this issue? I don't think Nissan could bend AT&T's arm to come out here and fix the defective tower that's causing this, if that's the case...
I have no idea what to do about it other than to live with it. I can bring this up as part of the advisory board, but that is not functioning, yet. I hope I put something into our JD Powers feedback about Carwings!
FalconFour wrote:
Anyone else have the same experience? I'm guessing it's just me, since Google sure doesn't know what "carwings request failed" means...
Yep, pretty much the same experiences here.
FalconFour wrote:
* - side note. Let's assume Carwings operates on an SMS-based system, where Carwings sends a text message to the car's AT&T modem, which is how the telemetrics operates - receives requests via SMS, replies via web or SMS reply. So why is this a difficult thing to accomplish? If it fails to respond in a certain number of seconds, try again - and a sequence number would rule out duplicate commands if a "burst" of repeated commands is received. Not that effing hard. As for replying, that could be made quicker by always responding via web, since SMS is sent out on tower control signals, establishing a connection to reply would be quicker than sending another SMS on the next signal and waiting for the Carwings server to get the SMS. Much room to improve, for sure...
IMO it would have been much better if the system had immediately reported that it was down since the server side was still taking requests.

_________________
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10,000 miles on April 14, 2013
Charged by our 9.87 kW solar array


Last edited by RegGuheert on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am
Posts: 4
Delivery Date: 18 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 3006
I can log in but no update since the 12th..... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:56 pm
Posts: 95
Location: Centennial, CO
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2012
And I thought it was just me doing something wrong - can't remote start climate control for the next few days


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:23 pm
Posts: 281
Delivery Date: 07 Dec 2011
Same here. Really annoying. It took me twenty minutes to get the AC going on Friday. It would have been much faster to walk out to the garage and turn it on manually.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 227
Location: Fresno, CA
Delivery Date: 14 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 008681
Oh my god, I'm not alone. Wow. OK, this is like a nationwide failure on Nissan's part, to let this problem continue all day...

Maybe a job opportunity for an unemployed IT geek that could've had these problems solved before the system even went live two years ago? :lol:

I'm totally calling Nissan later about this. This is the most statistically-valid response I've seen to a thread of mine in a *really* long time... rare that something I run into is encountered by others, let alone every one of them... :lol:

_________________
Living the electric-car life on an "under $25,000" income. Thank you, Nissan LEAF!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:21 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Posts: 8077
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
It's probably as much, if not more, AT&T's fault as it is Nissan's...

FalconFour wrote:
Oh my god, I'm not alone. Wow. OK, this is like a nationwide failure on Nissan's part, to let this problem continue all day...

_________________
Red SL-e with 47K miles/10 bars/211 Gids/49.97 AHr/76% SOH/56.62% Hx on 22Apr14. Ordered 9/1/10 (Fontana Nissan).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:09 am
Posts: 87
Location: Norwalk, CA
Delivery Date: 09 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 3586
Mine worked fine this morning, only taking a minute or so to update, but yesterday it took several tries to get the climate control going. It gave me the fail screen every time, but one of the attempts worked because the climate control was running when I got into the car.

By the way, I have AT&T for my cell phone provider, and I have full signal strength on my cell phone, although my carwings doesn't work for crap. I don't think the problem is signal strength.


Last edited by DanBaldwin on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Posts: 7782
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
TomT wrote:
It's probably as much, if not more, AT&T's fault as it is Nissan's...]


Nah, I think it's a Nissan problem. I couldn't log into the portal on my iPhone on Wendesday afternoon at all. I could log in on the web, but it wouldn't active the climate control. Things seemed better on Thursay morning in that I could use the iPhone app again, but it still seemed to take forever before the cc started working. Then it wouldn't stop remotely. This morning I didn't get a Charging Complete text or email. So...

Edit: Just tried the iPhone app for a vehicle update and it worked fine.

_________________
2011 Blue Ocean SL. 41,400 miles; 203-214 Gids; 10 bars.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
AV L2 EVSE (self-installed).
6.2kW DC of Sunpower PV.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Posts: 7782
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
I take it back...remote cc still unresponsive.

_________________
2011 Blue Ocean SL. 41,400 miles; 203-214 Gids; 10 bars.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
AV L2 EVSE (self-installed).
6.2kW DC of Sunpower PV.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Advertise on the forum | Upgrade your account


© My Nissan Leaf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group