Ok, I need more range. What mods can I make

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartleaf

At last I am going to have to give in and consider to do some modifications to extend the reduced winter range of my leaf. Thoughts are:
1. Seal off front grill in bumper during the winter when range is most affected by sub zero temperatures
2. Light aero rims and thinner low rolling resistance tyres
3. Led bulbs all round as in winter this should have an impact
4. Lighter racing front seats
5. 12v lead acid battery replaced by lithium ion battery
6. Lower car to improve aerodynamics
7. Remove anything that is not needed eg jack, owners manual, etc
8. Smaller wing mirrors
9. Aluminium pedals
10. Remove the heater
11. Marine flexible solar panel on boot spoiler
12. Somehow warm the batteries to get summer range.
12. Anything else .....

Or should I just put in heating in the garage, to avoid loosing 10% range when it gets cold.

the cheapest solution is to drive slower. You could add that to the list of modifications. For some folks this is an easy mod, and for others it is an impossible mod to implement.

No need to remove the heater, you can get my Climate control upgrade to easily disable it anytime you don't need it. This helps quite a bit, and you can still direct fresh air to the windshield to avoid fogging. This can easily add 10% range alone!

Plan your charging such that it finishes right before you get in the car in the morning. This will pre-warm the batteries. Also use the climate control pre-heat. Obviously if you can have a slightly warmer garage that would help, but it's probably not worth it.

Be sure your tires are inflated to the maximum pressure. (I know of people running 50 PSI to good effect, not that I advise such a thing)

Of all the ideas you suggested, a well-executed grill block would definitely improve aerodynamics, which is a factor in the winter with denser air, especially if you are driving fast.

-Phil

Depending on the speeds you drive at, and the hills you have to climb, mass will have less effect than aero improvements. For mods effective at highway speeds you can get some aero tips from ecomodder.com. Stuff like rear wheel covers and short (or long) tails. Good luck!

Hartleaf said:
1. Seal off front grill - I would monitor coolant temps, so add a temperature gauge

2. Light aero rims and thinner low rolling resistance tyres - the new BMW wheel/tire combo looks promising

3. Led bulbs all round as in winter this should have an impact - limited range impact

4. Lighter racing front seats - provided they are "race quality" for impacts. Safety First!!

5. 12v lead acid battery replaced by lithium ion battery - wise and cost effective

6. Lower car to improve aerodynamics - easy, unless you add heavy air bag system

7. Remove anything that is not needed eg jack, owners manual, etc - no jack in North America, but heavy lug wrench

8. Smaller wing mirrors - eliminate them, and install camera

9. Aluminium pedals - silly

10. Remove the heater - still silly - get Phil's mod

11. Marine flexible solar panel on boot spoiler - waste of money and effort

12. Somehow warm the batteries to get summer range. - lots of easy options here. The oil pan heating pads are best, but limit the temperature below the standard 50-60C.

13. Anything else ..... Aero mods should include a "boat tail" (huge drag there) and wheel fairings and covers.

14. Send to hot rod shop to have the roof lowered (chopped top).

custom013.JPG

Lowering your speed will have the biggest effect. I have a 60-mile round-trip commute. If I keep my highway speed to 55 mph and take it very easy on the local roads, I can get 5.0 miles/kWh. If I do 70 mph highway and my normal driving on local roads, I'll only get 3.5 miles/kWh.

I have my tires inflated to 44 PSI. It does seem to help the mileage a bit.

How much range are you trying to get out of one charge?

camasleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:
8. Smaller wing mirrors - eliminate them, and install camera
Is it legal here in US?

Not for a manufacturer. I have no idea if it's legal to not have mirrors on a non-commercial privately owned vehicle (and obviously there are 50 states laws that could all be different on this).

If required, put one so small that it wouldn't matter. Then mount a camera (and keep the windscreen mounted rear view mirror).

If you got the bucks ~

If you are not satisfied with the range of your Nissan Leaf, live in the US and have some money to spend, you can now opt for an extra battery pack to be added inside your car, in order to considerably boost its range. A Michigan-based company, Enginer, is selling 4-, 8- or 12- kWh battery packs which can be installed to boost the existing pack’s capacity.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/aftermarket-solution-gives-nissan-leaf-ev-extra-range-48697.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aftermarket-solution-gives-nissan-leaf-ev-extra-range-48697_1.jpg

And let me know how it works for you . . .
:eek:

Here's a nice simple mod to add 10-20 miles of range. Tony would have to organize a range test to quantify the benefit accurately. Cost is about $1.49 for a bungee cord. Loop one end around the steering column. The other end goes around your right foot to help hold it up off the accelerator pedal.
rangemod.jpg
:)

walterbays said:
Here's a nice simple mod to add 10-20 miles of range. Tony would have to organize a range test to quantify the benefit accurately. Cost is about $1.49 for a bungee cord. Loop one end around the steering column. The other end goes around your right foot to help hold it up off the accelerator pedal.

My Leaf has a mode on the shifter that does this electronically, it is called E. Save the $1.49.

Finally we're getting somewhere :lol:

Other than the heater "mod", I don't see anything worth messing with your car that's better than KEEPING YOUR SPEED (and acceleration) DOWN.

hill said:
If you got the bucks ~

If you are not satisfied with the range of your Nissan Leaf, live in the US and have some money to spend, you can now opt for an extra battery pack to be added inside your car, in order to considerably boost its range. A Michigan-based company, Enginer, is selling 4-, 8- or 12- kWh battery packs which can be installed to boost the existing pack’s capacity.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/aftermarket-solution-gives-nissan-leaf-ev-extra-range-48697.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aftermarket-solution-gives-nissan-leaf-ev-extra-range-48697_1.jpg

And let me know how it works for you . . .
:eek:

Isn't this the same Enginer that went out of business a month and a half ago? Or is this different?

Back