3 rd bar loss

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TaylorSFGuy said:
This discussion has moved towards battery replacement discussion, but I wanted to let you know that today (3 years 1+months) - at just over 120,000 miles, bar 3 disappeared. GIDS were 195 this morning. Hit QC twice and it was gone.

I'll update other information later but the thread topic is appropriate for this situation.
Miles would seem to mean nothing. Just time and heat.

smkettner said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
This discussion has moved towards battery replacement discussion, but I wanted to let you know that today (3 years 1+months) - at just over 120,000 miles, bar 3 disappeared. GIDS were 195 this morning. Hit QC twice and it was gone.

I'll update other information later but the thread topic is appropriate for this situation.

Miles make heat. Everytime I take a road trip my battery gets much warmer than usual. 100 miles would mean current flows one way or another for a third of the day. 2 hours driving 6 hours charging. That has to add to the wear and tear on the battery.

johnrhansen said:
smkettner said:
TaylorSFGuy said:

Miles make heat...

Correct.

I expect TaylorSFGuy's battery pack temperature profile over the last 3+ years could be close to that of a California Leaf that was driven a more typical 12,000-15,000 miles per year.

Very good news, IMO, that his battery seems to be performing so well as a function of kWh throughput, under warm temperatures.

It would be very informative to see the actual present available capacity of the highest-mileage battery pack as determined by a recharge capacity or range test.

How about it, TaylorSFGuy?

Can you (and/or anyone else with multiple bar loss) either or both:

Check the kWh your LEAF accepts by, metering (or if not possible, timing) the L2 charge from low to high SOC'S, such as VLBW or Turtle to "80%" or "100%".

Collecting data:Off-the-wall power for turtle to 100% charge

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or (more difficult) check the kWh your battery discharges from high to low SOC points, by matching the conditions of one of the INL tests as discussed here (You will probably want to try to end the test at ~VLBW, for obvious reasons)

LEAF Range and kWh use, at 45, 60 and 70 mph DOE tests

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either or both ways, please monitor your battery temperatures, and try to keep them near testing norms of ~70-80 F, if possible.

Lost my fourth bar yesterday morning, here are the details:

Mileage: 39801
AHr: 42.75
SOH: 65%
Hx: 58.45%
QC: 17
L1/L2: 1919

Called Tustin Nissan, and the service person asked me to drop the car and take a rental at my expense, until they inspect and ascertain the battery loss, and whether it is a warranty repair, in which case Nissan would cover the rental. They have no leaf to rent out. The agent almost made me feel that the battery bar loss was my problem.

Called 800-NO GAS EV, got a recording to take a survey to win a vacation.

Called Nissan their new number is 877-664-2738, got a case number, waiting for a call. I requested that I be allowed to have the car checked, and then returned to me, while the replacement battery arrives.

Which Nissan Dealer has replaced battery under warranty in so cal. Please let me know.

Thanks

^^^
Curious, how many gids at 100% charge?

Congrats on your battery replacement soon. Hope that means you'll receive a "lizard" battery.

smkettner said:
TaylorSFGuy said:

:?: :?: :?:

Our LEAF was built a few months after TaylorSFGuy's (VIN is about 4000 higher) and has not lost even the first bar, in spite of the fact that ours is in a warmer climate. The difference is that our LEAF has traveled fewer than one-sixth as many miles. Those additional 100,000 miles certainly account for the fact that TaylorSFGuy's LEAF has lost about twice as much capacity in a milder climate.
jonhrhansen said:
Miles make heat.
While that is certainly true, heat is not the only thing that degrades these batteries. The simple fact is that the charge-discharge reactions are not fully reversible. So TaylorSFGuy loses a bit of capacity twice each day when he cycles the battery, regardless of the temperature.

Thanks for sharing. What range do you typically get on a full-charge with 3-bar loss?

TaylorSFGuy said:

I finally lost my third bar as well. It was roughly 44k miles when it dropped.

Currently:

44,800 miles
ah: 46.26
GIDs at 100%: ~194

Since the weather has cooled considerably here in Austin, TX, I don't suspect I'll end up losing that fourth bar until maybe Spring. But who knows? I can't wait to see how far I can go again once I get a new pack!

Back