Lost my first bar in the August heat.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesri

Hi everyone.
We've been following this thread for a while wondering when the dreaded lost bar will strike... About
3 to 4 weeks ago I noticed that the SOC indication was only achieving 9 of 10 bars for an 80%
target. Finally two weeks ago we lost our first capacity bar. We're really disappointed and concerned as this relates to a 15% loss already and if the rate of capacity loss doesn't slow, the car will become unusable for all but the lightest duty trips. We bought our SL with 10 miles on it in Sept last year and noted 11k miles when we lost our bar on August 11. We never installed the L2 charger since we were planning on changing houses and the L1 was adequate for our needs. We have always used the charge timer to begin charging at 9PM on weekdays and allowed charging to 80% anytime of the day on weekends when electricity cost is lower. Our charging habits are as follows:

100% - Maybe 10 to 20 times.
80% - Approx 300 times
QC - Approx 5 times
L2 - Approx 20 times
L1 - Approx all remaining charges.

The car has always been parked outside as I don't have room in the garage and is probably better to charge outside at night because it would treat the battery better. By the way, if anyone remembers, there is a thread started by phxsmiley which talks about a co-worker who had not lost a bar and primarily uses L1 charging... this is that car! We will be reporting this to Nissan tomorrow and get their "official" response and have the incident properly logged.

Our range has been noticeably diminished from new and continues to degrade. Other than this capacity loss problem, we really love this car. We use it for all our errands, transporting kids, commuting to work and some short jogs. It definitely has taken a lot of miles off our other vehicle (an odyssey van) and saves money on gas. If, however, we have to replace the battery every other year for the car remain useful, then it was not what was advertised. I would hate see the entire model line labeled as a "lemon", but if this were an ICE that needed a new engine every couple of years of standard use, then the name would fit. Would that make it a Lemon Leaf? :eek: I guess time will tell...

mikesri said:
The car has always been parked outside as I don't have room in the garage and is probably better to charge outside at night because it would treat the battery better. By the way, if anyone remembers, there is a thread started by phxsmiley which talks about a co-worker who had not lost a bar and primarily uses L1 charging... this is that car! We will be reporting this to Nissan tomorrow and get their "official" response and have the incident properly logged.
Thanks for reporting. Sorry to hear about the capacity bar loss.

To complete your Wiki entry we need the following info:

--last 5 digits of Leaf VIN
--month and year of manufacture
--case number of report to Nissan
--date of report to Nissan

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike, Thank you for that report. Hope Nissan comes up with a contingency plan soon. So far we have got nothing but the corporate BS.

Our story is very close to yours. Even the Honda Ody.

Have had 9 charging bars for 80% since May. We must be close to losing a capacity bar. After reports here, i have changed my charging habits. Topped up only at 6 temperature bars (except once or twice when the charging crept it up to 7 bars) and delayed charging in the night. Babying the battery this way is not conducive to a carefree lifestyle.

The Austin summer has been moderate with 24 100+ degree days. This i believe is the key difference from Phoenix which regularly gets up to 7 (or sometimes even 8) temperature bars. Last year we had a record summer with 90 100+ degree days, but i got the car at the very end of it (in Sept).

The only other issue is that i've had the onboard charger replaced (covered under warranty) back in January. The car has been great otherwise and with a better battery TMS, ICE cars will be obsolescent. But the reduced range is going to be painful for everyone.

pjoseph said:
Mike, Thank you for that report. Hope Nissan comes up with a contingency plan soon. So far we have got nothing but the corporate BS.

Our story is very close to yours. Even the Honda Ody.

Have had 9 charging bars for 80% since May. We must be close to losing a capacity bar. After reports here, i have changed my charging habits. Topped up only at 6 temperature bars (except once or twice when the charging crept it up to 7 bars) and delayed charging in the night. Babying the battery this way is not conducive to a carefree lifestyle.

The Austin summer has been moderate with 24 100+ degree days. This i believe is the key difference from Phoenix which regularly gets up to 7 (or sometimes even 8) temperature bars. Last year we had a record summer with 90 100+ degree days, but i got the car at the very end of it (in Sept).

The only other issue is that i've had the onboard charger replaced (covered under warranty) back in January. The car has been great otherwise and with a better battery TMS, ICE cars will be obsolescent. But the reduced range is going to be painful everyone.

Hi Peter,
Yeah I suspect that ambient temp is the biggest factor in determining accelerated battery degredation under normal usage. There have been many days in which I just get into the car turn it on to go home from work and the battery temp gauge already indicates 7 bars without any charging or driving. Threre is definitlely something wrong with the manufacturer's assumptions concerning operating conditions if what we are doing is considered wrong or if Nissan thinks this is normal and acceptable degredation of their product. Again time will tell, but the guys out in front of us with two and three bars loss indicate that their is a lot of pain ahead for someone (maybe us, maybe Nissan, maybe BEV's).

aqn said:
pjoseph said:
Have had 9 charging bars for 80% since May. We must be close to losing a capacity bar.
Peter, FYI: I lost my first battery capacity bar today.

Has it been confirmed that getting only 9 bar on 80% strongly correlates to capacity loss? I'm now getting 9 bars fairly often in the warmer summer weather but don't experience any noticeable drop in range.

Valdemar said:
Has it been confirmed that getting only 9 bar on 80% strongly correlates to capacity loss? I'm now getting 9 bars fairly often in the warmer summer weather but don't experience any noticeable drop in range.

Nissan has not said anything yet, anyday now.

pjoseph said:
Have had 9 charging bars for 80% since May. We must be close to losing a capacity bar.
aqn said:
Valdemar said:
Define "confirmed". :D

There has been anecdotal reports, no proof.

Joeviocoe said:
Been a busy week adding first bar losers to the tracking wiki.
Boy, it looks like Nissan has dug themselves a hole (pun intended) in the marketing department by offering the capacity bar reading. Hearing first bar losers reporting their losses (which is a significant loss at 15%) and having them posted on Wiki is like seeing death announcements and having orbituaries posted on in the papers. It's just so sad and it's going to be a perpetual thing that will go on summer after summer. It'll be a black mark that Nissan will not be able to shake it off until they come up with an acceptable remedy.

Joeviocoe said:

It's early June 2013 and I was wondering why this thread title said August. Then I looked more closely at the date and I have to wonder why did you resurrect a 9-month old thread out of the blue?

I'd be very happy to be just a one bar loser... :lol:

Volusiano said:
Joeviocoe said:
Boy, it looks like Nissan has dug themselves a hole (pun intended) in the marketing department by offering the capacity bar reading. Hearing first bar losers reporting their losses (which is a significant loss at 15%) and having them posted on Wiki is like seeing death announcements and having orbituaries posted on in the papers. It's just so sad and it's going to be a perpetual thing that will go on summer after summer. It'll be a black mark that Nissan will not be able to shake it off until they come up with an acceptable remedy.

Volusiano said:
Joeviocoe said:

True... but the reason why I made the spreadsheet is to let people know, that this issue is Geographically isolated more or less. Like seeing a death toll rise in one part of the country, and people just being glad they don't live near there.

shrink said:
Joeviocoe said:

It's early June 2013 and I was wondering why this thread title said August. Then I looked more closely at the date and I have to wonder why did you resurrect a 9-month old thread out of the blue?

Good catch... I had multiple windows up... and totally posted in the wrong thread.
I meant to post here...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&view=unread#unread

Nissan is usually pretty decent about this type of stuff, at least they were years gone by. They replaced a number of things on my XTerra under recalls including a trailer hitch that I installed 3rd party.

I luckily do not live in a hot area of the country so I don't think I will ever see this, but I really hope they step up and figure this out. I have never seen the temp level at any level other than the normal but probably my Leaf has never seen north of 85 degrees.

I want to see what they do for you guys.

Back